432 FOR SALE IN NSW

benny

ok just looked over one of my Japanese Fairlady Z books - and I now see C-S31 listed - and I recall seeing this in another Japanese book (Nissan published) so again looks like another internal code for a trim level etc on the S31 range - I think it might be the code for the S31 listed above aka Fairlady Z-L

Ok checking another Japanese book - I see the 1S30 listed above should be shown as A-S30 so I will update the above

haha, its amazing there so many different "models" while some are actually a different model, some are just certain options, or mechanic differences such as fuel injection.

Its actually pretty interesting when you go into it..

NZeder thats an impressive list.

In the 90's when the Japanese economy was booming Japanese dealers used to come to Australia buying Zeds. I had a Jap dealer come to inspect my Tan 1971 240Z .... He rejected it because of the aftermarket vinyl sunroof  and that it had been changed from an auto - He had bought 5 Zeds on his trip!

Also in Japan there are many LHD Zeds that were re- imported back to Japan from the US in that same boom time!

• Moderators

I remember Rob at the Z Factory restoring a number of Zeds and sending them back to Japan; back then in the late nineties they use to fetch around $30-35,000. But if you saw the level of restoration, it was worth every cent. They used to go back with just standard steel wheels off anything that would fit and L24's with the Hitatchi carbs. He has some pics I should post if I can..

My brother used to work for a local resto shop here in NZ that was owned by a Japanese guy, his son was the manager here while he lived in Japan. They use to restore MK2 Jags - put EFI and AC in them (all hidden) used the SU's as the TB's for the EFI. They also send back a few early Toyota's, Mini's and American muscle.

At one point when I was selling HS30-00016 a Japanese guy came to look at it he was going to take it back to Japan to turn into a drag car - but I said no HS30-00016 should not become a hot rod. So I sold it to an Australian who took it back to NSW 12 months after I sold it.

My brother used to work for a local resto shop here in NZ that was owned by a Japanese guy, his son was the manager here while he lived in Japan. They use to restore MK2 Jags - put EFI and AC in them (all hidden) used the SU's as the TB's for the EFI. They also send back a few early Toyota's, Mini's and American muscle.

At one point when I was selling HS30-00016 a Japanese guy came to look at it he was going to take it back to Japan to turn into a drag car - but I said no HS30-00016 should not become a hot rod. So I sold it to an Australian who took it back to NSW 12 months after I sold it.

good man saying no to drag car conversion. We need to conserve whats left!

Gee's NZ'er what do you think of HS30-00030 being a gravel rally car??

Not a problem with that - the original works cars were HS30-00024, 25 and 26 :) so rally's ok but cut up and tub and hot rod up as a drag car....not so much. I wish back in my 20's I could have keep the rusty pile HS30-00016 as it would be perfect for classic racing - the earlier the car the better sometimes (depends on the local racing rules etc)

no 00016 wasn't that on ebay? maybe a year or so at some ridiculus price well started low around 3-5k than got put up to 25k.

also was it painted white but original i think was different. no i may be confusing the issue with another low numbered car i should have the pics somewhere to put it to rest.

HS30-00016 was originally 918 but it was a bit hacked by the time I got it - about 11 owner by then lol. It was grey, with a sunroof (why did they do that in the 80's......= needed a new roof), it has FG flares boned on = rust on the rear guards, floors were going, battery box area = almost gone, interior was ok ish. But it had the hard to find early bits still, seats, SU's, etc but a L26 under the hood (but still have the 2400cc OHC cover)

I sold it to Peter Campbell who owned a blue 240z here in NZ and also purchase a blue 240z with a RB30ET with flares in NSW (car might have been in/from QLD as Pete was there for some time too) he owns a few zeds. Before he took HS30-00016 the ZClub here located other early parts for the car ie early L24 block, 5 original steel rims and hubcaps. I believe Pete found other parts via Allen Stern?? In QLD?? ie new/replacement roof, rear 1/4s, etc. I believe it was going to be restored - Pete even managed to find HS30-00013 in Australia that he believe was the sister car to 16 as they were the same colour originally etc.

I have not heard much about what happened to the car in the last 10 years or so would be nice to know. Anybody know Pete Campbell in NSW who is into Zeds?

Gee's Mike hope your feeling better, was it something you ate??

Nzder I'd love some more info on the works rally cars, do you know the numberplate numbers?? All the works 240Z rally cars I've seen pictures of were all LHD, but I've just found sa3640, one of the RAC works entries was a RHD car. All the works Zeds that came to Aust were LHD including the Southern cross cars and Dunko's '75 Aust championship winning car (sa 4080). Maybe they were the Monte Carlo or Safari cars??

Now there were RHD version :) I will have to check the books I have but PM HS30-H he will know more than me with regards to all this given some of these cars are still in the UK today :)

EDIT: check out this mag - see this link - has a one of the UK works cars in it getting a rebuild and it is RHD.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,5271.0.html

Also I believe a semi/sort of works car is here in NZ - well it was HS30-00026 that was rolled then reshelled so the it does not have the works shell but did get many of the works parts swapped into a S30 chassis

Nzeder,

You're doing a fine job here. You've got a lot more patience than me, for sure  ;)

bluerat,

The very first proper 240Z works rally cars to be used in competition ( five of them ) were all RHD. They were Japanese 'carnet' registered 'TKS 33 SA 694', 695, 696, 697 & 698, and were used in the 1970 RAC Rally ( although one of them was entered in a 'local' UK club event before the RAC, as 'practice' ). Only four of those were entered in the RAC and the fifth was used as a high speed tender / service car, crewed by the Japanese team manager and chasing between service points.

The first proper LHD works 240Z rally cars were the batch used for the 1971 Monte Carlo Rallye, Japanese registered 'TKS 33 SA 985', 986, 987 & 988. There were no LHD works 240Zs used on the E.A. Safari Rally in 1971 & '72 ( they were all RHD ) but LHD versions - previously blooded on other events - were used there '73 onwards. The LHD cars seen on the Southern Cross & Dulux rallies etc in Australia had usually been used on other events in Europe, such as the Monte Carlo Rallye and TAP Rallye. The whole subject is very big once you start getting deeper into it......

Mike, funny you should mention 'HS30-00013'. Last time I saw that chassis number ( on a piece of blue firewall, and an original chassis plate ) it was hanging on the wall of a workshop here in England. The owner had hacked it off of a derelict car that he found in Australia......  :-X

Mike, funny you should mention 'HS30-00013'. Last time I saw that chassis number ( on a piece of blue firewall, and an original chassis plate ) it was hanging on the wall of a workshop here in England. The owner had hacked it off of a derelict car that he found in Australia......  :-X

You are correct it was a typo that should have been 15 - hell it was 10 years when I last spoke to Pete so it was a car that was coloured 918 as 16 was originally and was within 2 or 3 numbers just lower.

I heard a rumour (yes they should not be written on the web as some might take it as read) that an early rally 240z was trashed in the outback of Australia (not sure if it was a works car or not) but the support team removed all the parts they could then the body shell was semi buried at the crash site

LOL,

Glad that 'HS30-00013' is not in two places at the same time then!

I've heard similar stories about 'dumped' and buried works rally cars. The one that keeps coming up is the one that Shekhar Mehta crashed on the 1973 Moroccan Rally. The story is that the service crew stripped it of any parts that were still of use, and left it where it was ( in the desert ). However, there are conflicting stories and at least some of the people involved denied that the car was abandoned. The main reason not to abandon such a car would - of course - have been the plain fact that it was being used outside Japan on a temporary export 'carnet', and if the car did not go back to Japan within the period of the carnet the team would have to pay a hefty fine and a big tax bill........

I'm still tempted to go on a little expedition though. Will any of your airmiles get you to Morocco?  ;D

• Administrators

I'm still tempted to go on a little expedition though. Will any of your airmiles get you to Morocco?  ;D

When Mike initially mentioned such a thing in the Australian desert somewhere I was tempted to go looking. Heck I'd be up for an adventure in Morocco :).

My sister was talking about doing this rally

http://www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk/

Which goes through Morocco.

Hell yes I have enough airmiles for a trip like that but, only if I can visit the garages again and drawl over you collection of Nissan's and rare parts again :) but this time the beer is on me ;)

The outback Aust rumor might have started from Ross Dunkertons 1975 Aust rally championship winning car being a LHD ex works car, sa4080, (2nd in the Southern Cross with Aaltonen driving) was stripped and reshelled into a 260Z which he used to win the 76 and 77 Aust championships. Ross was a Datsun dealer in 'outback' WA?? Like HS-30S said all the ex works cars had to go back to Japan, a lot left with std running gear with the 'good' stuff left here.  I also presumed the above car was used in the 73 RAC as I have a picture of sa 4079 competing in it, and every photo I've seen of that famous Morocco crash has the caption "Shekhar Mehta describes the 240Z  as an accident waiting to happen"...

Where in the world are you HS-30S??

The outback Aust rumor might have started from Ross Dunkertons 1975 Aust rally championship winning car being a LHD ex works car, sa4080, (2nd in the Southern Cross with Aaltonen driving) was stripped and reshelled into a 260Z which he used to win the 76 and 77 Aust championships. Ross was a Datsun dealer in 'outback' WA?? Like HS-30S said all the ex works cars had to go back to Japan, a lot left with std running gear with the 'good' stuff left here.  I also presumed the above car was used in the 73 RAC as I have a picture of sa 4079 competing in it, and every photo I've seen of that famous Morocco crash has the caption "Shekhar Mehta describes the 240Z  as an accident waiting to happen"...

Where in the world are you HS-30S??

Thats for the info there about the Ross Dunkertons car :)

HS30-H is in the UK