Retro's 76 2+2 aka Fat bottom girl! New Shoes

Hello,

Well I purchased a Christmas gift for myself last year. After keeping and eye out for a 240 nothing really popped up that was for me. I stumble across this car parked on the side of the road while I was on a Sunday drive with the missus through the hills. It looked reasonably tidy, almost completely original and no signs of major repairs. just a re-spray and a bit of bog from a small accident in its history, beaver panel was a bit mangled and the left hand side chassis rail had a bit of damage, car possibly went over a medium strip or curb.

Well I got the car home and it started to sink in "what have I done its a 2+2"  ::)

I feel I have to do the car justice, breath some life into her and show the world that the fat bottomed sister can be sexy!

What has happened so far;

Zg Flares, cut and welded the inner and outer guards, welded in nut inserts into panels for easy removal.

Front spoiler not sure of brand etc.

Wheels are 15" steel rear widened out to 10" and front is 8" custom offset specifically for the Z with ZG flares, painted in 2pac industrial black. nice and hard wearing.

Tyres are Mastercraft rear; 225x50 front; 205x50

drive-way.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

oh yeah photoshoped lowering on the first image, just to give me and idea on how low I can go.

Future plans;

Get the car painted, I am thinking of keeping it a datsun red nothing custom there. possibly a black bonnet, not sure some opinions would be good.

I have period style mirrors for the doors;

IMG_0005.jpg

I have on order KYB inserts, King springs, street camber kit from MSA and bushings will be Super Pro have not sourced them yet. Im trying to keep the car period correct so to say so, so tidy up the engine bay paint and powder coat etc. Keep the SU's and original air filter box etc. so its a nice example of how the Z was. Or possibly go side drafts carbs.

A guy I met i ended up doing some graphics for his boat, In his garage he had a LJ Torana. I peeked under the bonnet and he was running a suck thru turbo setup. Webber feeding a Garret. I didn't have time to have a really good look or talk about it to him about the setup, but it defiantly got me thinking.

When i went to register the car i looked at the engine number on my form and it started with a L28------ the head has a E88 stamped on the side, I looked on the block for more numbers but its covered in muck so i couldn't spot anything. Could this be out of a later Z?

• Administrators

What can I say, they make the rockin world go round. ;D

Yes, yes they do! :)

*edit oops linked to wrong Queen video lol...

If the engine number starts with L28, its got a 2.8 from a 280zx instead of the standard 2.6.  Nice little upgrade.

ok so last night i got the torch and a rag and went on the search for the engine code. There it was L28 on the block. apparently there is another stamp that will indicate what L28 block it is.

It's probable that it's the l28 but it doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the original engine. As everyone is aware, the 260z's went to 280z's in America (around 75?) and with it, the engine went to 2.8 liters. So our cars were being badged 260z but they still came with a l28 as far as I'm aware (minus the fuel injection). My 77 260z is the same.

PS tough looking car you have there :)

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0080-1.jpg

test fitting and cutting front guard

IMG_0001.jpg

Ok so i sticky taped the flare into place and marked out the position with texta. I then added a second line 30mm below. The first line is cut but only thru the outer guard skin. The second line was cut thru both the outer guard and inner guard skins.

The trust engineers mallet was used to slowly bang up the inner guard up and out to that it met the outer guard.

IMG_0002.jpg

i don't have photos of the welding in progress, but i slowly added tack welds along the join. then cut the excess metal away.

IMG_0104.jpg

as you can see i have some work to do getting the rear beaver panel correct and the rear bumper need some love. Looks like she had acne on her ass.

IMG_0009-1.jpg

After painting and a hand polish.

I had the wheels done myself. there is a place in Adelaide that dose it. The new shells were ROH by manufacture so I guess they are good quality. The wheel centre have been welded around the entire circumference so they are blood strong. standard stockies just have a few spot on them. All up I think it was $780.

your car looks nice, the wheels look gangsta! possibily a good idea for track rims? (more durable, not that much heavier? any idea how much they weigh?)

So our cars were being badged 260z but they still came with a l28 as far as I'm aware (minus the fuel injection). My 77 260z is the same

i dont believe you, do you have a picture of your vin plate?

i dont believe you, do you have a picture of your vin plate?

Does this not sound right to you? The car is 600klms away so I can't check :( Can anyone else confirm or deny? I have seen plenty of the later model 260z's with l28 engines that look bone stock. I know these all could have been engine transplants but going to all that work to transplant an engine and then leave things like the auto box and all the pollution gear, and then putting on the flat top hitachi's and getting rid of the fuel injection... doesn't add up to me. They where making l28's in those years anyway, just like I said, everything here was badged 260z and we never got a 280z.

Sorry for the off topic GTS...

Edit:

Been doing some reading. The l26 was still being produced up to 78 "in other countries" (besides the US). Also read a classified for "one of the last 260zs delivered in perth" over at the WA Z Site. It had a l26 that they swapped out for a l28. So looks like I could have been wrong  :-[

• Moderators

Zedevan, I've heard steel wheels aren't really suited for track use, they end to flex alot more than good alloys. For the street they are fine, but for track work you're better off with some good quality wheels. I agree those widened steel wheels do look cool on that zed!

You do find alot of import motors in zeds. Back in the 80's alot of places like RPM engines used to install a lot of import L28's into zeds and Skylines for customers. Only way to check is with the ID plates for matching numbers. I doubt they were factory fitted.

Edit: replaced the are - aren't! oops!

But but its a 260.. 26, as in L26!  ???  :P

You have one of the more common Air dams btw GTS-Retro, a few places sell them the one I know the best is Adelaide Z cars. It sure does improve the car hey.

Those brake rotors sure have a lot of surface rust on them, does that mean they need to be replaced soon? Or does that disappear with use?

Zedevan, I've heard steel wheels are really suited for track use, they end to flex alot more than good alloys

did u mean to say "I've heard steel wheels aren't really suited for track use, they tend to flex alot more than good alloys"

i was wondering if the fact they flex more would make them better for the harsher conditions - but i guess you would never want them to flex huh?

i wouldn't be surprised if they did change to l28's when they put on the stricker emissions gear later on in 76 - i'm sure i've read 260z's never got l28's in australia etc, but it is the net so could be wrong!

But but its a 260.. 26, as in L26! 

Haha it is just a badge steve, a pair of silicone tits doesn't make you a woman  :P  Haha but yeah I could be completely wrong. I'll ring my dad and get him to check the vins on my cars at home.

but it is the net so could be wrong!

Haha yeah, most of my info is taken from the net so 99%of what I know is BS ;) I do have a couple of old datsun books lying around though like the "By the Editors Consumer Guide Datsun Z-Cars" which only has american specs and australian sales figures.

Anyway, when I find out what I have I might post in a new thread. Once again sorry for the hijack :)

• Moderators

The American market 280Z got the EFI L28's from Nissan.. We missed out on that model entirely. We were blessed with the 280ZX from 79 on..

Should look lovely when you're finished with it GTS... keep the pics rolling in!