T56 - so the 6-speed manual.

#42 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

F*#k my black dog i just found this thread, what an awsome build, cant wait to see how this one turns out, it will make that 2jz supra that gets down to the island look slow.

#43 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

The Red Supra?
If so, Kyle's Zed is at the same workshop that that Supra is from...

#44 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:06 AM

Kyle - latest pics look good - fits well. I am sure many a US hybridz owner would love to have a IL6 that is 4.0 and turbo'd ;)

#45 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hey Kyle,

You'll have some fun leaving behind $250K Porsches off the lights hey!
I know you will be putting a cage in it but just wondering what you could expect happen to the shell without the cage with some quick launch's and sticky rubber on the back? I've heard of older cars twisting under load causing damage to chassis or shell. I know the Z has joins above the rear quarter windows and it's my guess you would get some serious flexing there with that sort of pwer and no cage or seem welding in the engine bay?

Sulio

#46 K240z

K240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hey Kyle,

I know you will be putting a cage in it but just wondering what you could expect happen to the shell without the cage with some quick launch's and sticky rubber on the back? I've heard of older cars twisting under load causing damage to chassis or shell. I know the Z has joins above the rear quarter windows and it's my guess you would get some serious flexing there with that sort of pwer and no cage or seem welding in the engine bay?

Sulio

yeh ive heard that they do flex when pushed hard. Ill have to stop myself doin quick launch's and driving hard untill i have the Zed with a full rollcage and should also get it seem welded and beef up the chassis rails which thats also later in the stages

#47 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

yeh ive heard that they do flex when pushed hard. Ill have to stop myself doin get it seem welded and beef up the chassis rails which thats also later in the stages

Re the seem welding comment - don't race into that too much. I recall .... memory bank checking..... that back in the day BRE or was it Sharp or Electromotive....they stated with their testing of the chassis no seem welding was required as the car was strong - yes it flexes but when a cage is installed and the strut towers tied into this seem welding is not required. Well that is what they found in the 70's but we are now talking about 90/00 technology of engines/power etc.

#48 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

:)

Attached Thumbnails

• 11192_98e246ce85e03039d9718c16268626d3c04d52cd.jpg
  • 11190_79078f2e76f8bad3eba98f48a4e6deb516e30206.jpg
  • 11188_08d80a87cc526b8b533c72bcac547c2250cac6f3.jpg
  • 11186_0188c2cf15aaecc112ce26fa3ca31903ca6a6608.jpg

#49 K240z

K240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Didnt think you would post the one u took  :P
Thanks Lurch

Thats the only pic i have of how close it is to the guard Dimitri
Posted Image

#50 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:30 PM

Here's a better one:
;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 11194_4bc9da351c47f864c99f612a55ad201c2dec7d1d.jpg

#51 K240z

K240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

:o OMG!! ill take that thanks

I see u should be taking pics from now on then :P

#52 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:44 AM

thats awsome.    :o    ;D

any pics from the top with complete engine bay. wanna see the what Barra looks in the Z bay.

#53 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

Hmmm might be a bit of melted paint coming on. Looking at the photo's and the great fabrication work underneath I was thinking that might have been the time to do some power steering. I know, I know one thing at a time. Hopefully you won't need to go down that path.
Looks good though. We will have to see that one at the Jag Club one meeting when finished.

#54 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

Hey Kyle,

Sulio

My car has a cage and isn't overly powerful compared to what this beast will be capable of producing.  I've noticed the paint has cracked right along the seam that runs through the floor behind the seats where the seam has been 'working' a little.  Plan is to weld this seam and put some stronger chassis rails through over summer.

Loving this build buy the way.  Nice strong design for the gearbox mount.

#55 Lgee

Lgee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:35 PM

I showed a few guys at work this build and there were impressed, we do this sort of thing at work as well, and we were impressed with the fab work as well, not to mention that it will go like shit of a teflon coated shovel, it has inspired us to look into doing a simular project to showcase our talents.

#56 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:42 PM

Damn, so the body cant take the power?

whats the power limitations on the stock body? is a cage generally enough for say 200rwkw?

#57 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

I have happily run 250rwkw without a cage, but yeh i imagine it would make a big difference

#58 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

Damn, so the body cant take the power?

whats the power limitations on the stock body? is a cage generally enough for say 200rwkw?

Should have explained myself better sorry.  I'm sure the body can take a heap of power.  I don't think it's the power that's causing the problem in my case, more the corner loads.  Shouldn't be a problem in a street car.

/hijack

#59 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Should have explained myself better sorry.  I'm sure the body can take a heap of power.  I don't think it's the body that's causing the problem in my case, more the corner loads.  Shouldn't be a problem in a street car.

/hijack

As Scando has said, depends how you drive the car.  If you mostly just cruise around with the occasional squirt, you could probably happily run with a huge torque motor for years without noticing any body cracking (torque being the thing that twists the body rather than power).  If you are planning to go out to Calder every friday night, or thrash around the racetrack regularly, then the torque (in conjunction with body flex from hard cornering) becomes a more worrying factor, and you need to keep an eye on the weak points in the body.

#60 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

Let me tell you with a big and reasonably heavy motor in the car like this one it would be advisable to run a cage. Of course you can get away with it in any Zed for a while.
But a cage will make a huge difference in a car with a heavy load up front. Especially when the motor is moved back as far as you can get it with out touching the fire wall. After I did mine the car was transformed. You know part of that natorious bump steer is caused by the body simply flexing not just the bush,s, steering arm angles etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users