K240z

Kyle's XR6 turbo Zed

thats awsome.    :o    ;D

any pics from the top with complete engine bay. wanna see the what Barra looks in the Z bay.

Hmmm might be a bit of melted paint coming on. Looking at the photo's and the great fabrication work underneath I was thinking that might have been the time to do some power steering. I know, I know one thing at a time. Hopefully you won't need to go down that path.

Looks good though. We will have to see that one at the Jag Club one meeting when finished.

Hey Kyle,

You'll have some fun leaving behind $250K Porsches off the lights hey!

I know you will be putting a cage in it but just wondering what you could expect happen to the shell without the cage with some quick launch's and sticky rubber on the back? I've heard of older cars twisting under load causing damage to chassis or shell. I know the Z has joins above the rear quarter windows and it's my guess you would get some serious flexing there with that sort of pwer and no cage or seem welding in the engine bay?

Sulio

My car has a cage and isn't overly powerful compared to what this beast will be capable of producing.  I've noticed the paint has cracked right along the seam that runs through the floor behind the seats where the seam has been 'working' a little.  Plan is to weld this seam and put some stronger chassis rails through over summer.

Loving this build buy the way.  Nice strong design for the gearbox mount.

I showed a few guys at work this build and there were impressed, we do this sort of thing at work as well, and we were impressed with the fab work as well, not to mention that it will go like shit of a teflon coated shovel, it has inspired us to look into doing a simular project to showcase our talents.

Damn, so the body cant take the power?

whats the power limitations on the stock body? is a cage generally enough for say 200rwkw?

Damn, so the body cant take the power?

whats the power limitations on the stock body? is a cage generally enough for say 200rwkw?

Should have explained myself better sorry.  I'm sure the body can take a heap of power.  I don't think it's the power that's causing the problem in my case, more the corner loads.  Shouldn't be a problem in a street car.

/hijack

Should have explained myself better sorry.  I'm sure the body can take a heap of power.  I don't think it's the body that's causing the problem in my case, more the corner loads.  Shouldn't be a problem in a street car.

/hijack

As Scando has said, depends how you drive the car.  If you mostly just cruise around with the occasional squirt, you could probably happily run with a huge torque motor for years without noticing any body cracking (torque being the thing that twists the body rather than power).  If you are planning to go out to Calder every friday night, or thrash around the racetrack regularly, then the torque (in conjunction with body flex from hard cornering) becomes a more worrying factor, and you need to keep an eye on the weak points in the body.

Let me tell you with a big and reasonably heavy motor in the car like this one it would be advisable to run a cage. Of course you can get away with it in any Zed for a while.

But a cage will make a huge difference in a car with a heavy load up front. Especially when the motor is moved back as far as you can get it with out touching the fire wall. After I did mine the car was transformed. You know part of that natorious bump steer is caused by the body simply flexing not just the bush,s, steering arm angles etc.

Sup pplz

Bit of an early christmas pressie from myself so i got me this.....

Rear control arms from arizona Zcar

P1010091.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010093.jpg

With all the problems i have with my rear toe etc, I have wanted a set of these for a long time.  Will look hawt on your car mate.

Awesome  :o

Just looked up the price and it would work out pretty good while the Aussie dollar is strong.

I have 2 deg tow in on one side a 4 deg on the other so I definately need to do something!

Either arizonazcar gets them for a steal or they are not making more then $4. Ha.

Like everyone here, I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. The ford engines are easy to work with. I've seen them used in a heap of different cars with great results. Well done for doing a swap that isn't the norm. ;)

Like everyone here, I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of this. I hope it all goes smoothly for you. The ford engines are easy to work with. I've seen them used in a heap of different cars with great results. Well done for doing a swap that isn't the norm. ;)

yeah thanks hunterzed and every one else for all your positive feedback. yeah just wanted to be different thats all

ok now i havent posted up a progress report for a while now coz nuthin much had happened. needed to pay off a few part before they could start work on it.

But the have just finished modifyin the nizpro intake plenum so here is a couple of pics i got today

260Z02.jpg

260Z01.jpg

260Z.jpg

260Z04.jpg

260Z03-1.jpg

Enjoy  ;D

Kyle,

As I said before, this is the best mechanical build I have ever seen in a Zed bar non, and hopefully some of the major mags will pick up on it and pay you the honors you deserve for your efforts, both here and afar.

But it just makes you wonder what Ford Australia could achieve if they had the Gonads to do a proper sports coupe from scratch instead of something like a still born Capri or an imported Probe Mustang or Cougar, with this motor, they could probably achieve what the original Zed did in 71 in the states where it swept all before it in terms of value and kick for your buck.

Hope some bean counter at FoMoCo Melbourne one days see's this car in an article and has a space cadet moment.

Cheers

John

Kyle,

As I said before, this is the best mechanical build I have ever seen in a Zed bar non, and hopefully some of the major mags will pick up on it and pay you the honors you deserve for your efforts, both here and afar.

Of course we would be happy to have a write up of it featured on this site too. Looks like its progressing along nicely, going be a rocket that's for sure.

Gav

No doubt here, but I think this ride deserves some major attention from some of the modifier mags also.

What I meant by here and afar, is here in Aus and beyond such as the States, I seriously doubt the boys in the US could phantom that a motor which morphed from what ran around in their falcons back in the day of Kennedy and the grassy knol could be a Euro killer if not 99% of U.S. built production cars in a straight line at least.

The current C6 Z06 Vette in the states weighs in at 1421 Kg's has 376 Kw and around 600Nm of torque giving it a power to weight ratio of 3.8 Kg per Kw.

From what I read about Kyles, he is estimating 380 odd Kw, torque would have to be 600Nm + and the weight would be similar to the Vette.

Those good old boys wouldnt know what to make of this car in the States.

Yeah Yeah I know, Im covering stuff that is plainly apparent, but for those newbies who may read this, what an inspirational car to set off a hole new generation of enthusiastic buildere when you put the whole package in perspective.

Go Kyle !, I intend seeing this car in the flesh one day and buying you a beer.

Cheers

John

yeah 380rwkw is the maximum that the engine can take so when i get the Zed running will only be like 200- 250 for now then when the body is finished will run higher HP

The car will only feature when its 100% complete so thats still another couple of years away.

thanks for all your support guys

Yes awesome job Kyle. Can't wait to see it on the road. Serpent don't get too carried away on your statistics. Plenty of Zeds around in the States with V8's that are lighter and have bigger HP & torque numbers than what you are talking about. Even mine. But I don't want to detract from what with out a doubt will be an out standing build of Kyles car. It will certainly be one of the quicker Zeds in a straight line. Not sure about the handling with all that weight up front. But I am sure Kyle will get it sorted over time. I know it's a long way to get a car like this on the road and then another couple of years and more big bucks to iron out all the bugs. I still reckon an auto was the go. I love the Ford auto with the Sport/sequential shift in my Territory. But I guess a lot of fun in the manual on the track mate.

Make sure it is ready for the 2010 Annual Barby Kyle. have fun and keep the updates coming.  :D