#21 nedloh312

nedloh312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Tagline:Dave

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

cheap but also great people to deal with answers your question as soon as possible. do you reckon the s30 struts will fit a S130???

cool, I will get them when the dollar gets a bit stronger. It's almost there :D  Cmon Aussie dollar!!!

#22 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

A thing to note regarding strut bars is that pretty often does not mean great...

That being said, look at CUSCO items, they look great, dont weigh a lot and are stiff as a virgin at a brothel.

Some cheap ones on the market arent so good... Engineering firms may be able to make something pretty good for not a lot of money, might weigh more and not look as good though.

Cheers,

Thomas

#23 nedloh312

nedloh312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

Yer, i couldn't care what they look like ai :) Thanks for the info though..

#24 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:49 PM

I have the MSA rear strut bar, and it has nuts on either side for tension adjustment. seems to do alright. Might look at getting the MSA front one.. though those OS ones are tempting too.

#25 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

it should be noted the rear cusco ones only suit 240z's and early 260z's - although the bracket can be modified to work with the later ones

i'd say 2+2's dont have a chance of using the rear one. <$200 each is very cheap for them, and they do look dam sexy - although one of the triangular ones that go back to the firewall would be nice...

#26 nedloh312

nedloh312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

I would probably just spend the extra and get the triangular ones... Although, like i said, once i get these triples in and the Aussie dollar picks up more, I'll be getting some either from online or get an engineer to do them up... Might be a way to do a group buy later down the track?

#27 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

I was thinking, do strut bars potentially cause cracks by introducing new stress concentrations in the same way as roll cages? It just seems like if you were increasing the stiffness laterally (I know its not the cars overall stiffness, but locally in the metal surrounding the strut towers surely there would be some change) then some of the metal parts would be reacting differently to the loads applied to them by driving, and perhaps cracks would form in areas where there weren't any previously.

I realise this probably isn't the case 99.9% of the time since so many people use them without complaint, but it just got me thinking.

#28 nedloh312

nedloh312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:57 PM

I was thinking, do strut bars potentially cause cracks by introducing new stress concentrations in the same way as roll cages? It just seems like if you were increasing the stiffness laterally (I know its not the cars overall stiffness, but locally in the metal surrounding the strut towers surely there would be some change) then some of the metal parts would be reacting differently to the loads applied to them by driving, and perhaps cracks would form in areas where there weren't any previously.

I realise this probably isn't the case 99.9% of the time since so many people use them without complaint, but it just got me thinking.

I thought it would be the opposite? It's preventing the struts from flexing too much preventing wear? But i have no idea :S

#29 mtopxsecret6

mtopxsecret6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

steve your thinking to much. do you plan on doing rallying maybe? I'd start worrying if i was one of the 99.999% person then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users