Sign in to follow this  
nedloh312

Strut Bars

I would probably just spend the extra and get the triangular ones... Although, like i said, once i get these triples in and the Aussie dollar picks up more, I'll be getting some either from online or get an engineer to do them up... Might be a way to do a group buy later down the track?

I was thinking, do strut bars potentially cause cracks by introducing new stress concentrations in the same way as roll cages? It just seems like if you were increasing the stiffness laterally (I know its not the cars overall stiffness, but locally in the metal surrounding the strut towers surely there would be some change) then some of the metal parts would be reacting differently to the loads applied to them by driving, and perhaps cracks would form in areas where there weren't any previously.

I realise this probably isn't the case 99.9% of the time since so many people use them without complaint, but it just got me thinking.

I was thinking, do strut bars potentially cause cracks by introducing new stress concentrations in the same way as roll cages? It just seems like if you were increasing the stiffness laterally (I know its not the cars overall stiffness, but locally in the metal surrounding the strut towers surely there would be some change) then some of the metal parts would be reacting differently to the loads applied to them by driving, and perhaps cracks would form in areas where there weren't any previously.

I realise this probably isn't the case 99.9% of the time since so many people use them without complaint, but it just got me thinking.

I thought it would be the opposite? It's preventing the struts from flexing too much preventing wear? But i have no idea :S