Weird Rubber Bits

acf321

When we removed the rear hatch, and the steering column there are two pieces of rubber that need to be replaced that I have not seen for sale anywhere, or even heard mentioned. The parts I'm referring to are; 1) box type pieces that sit in the roof cutouts where the hatch hinges bolt into, and 2) the piece of rubber that sits between the steering column brace and the firewall. Naturally, all three items on my car are rooted (technical term) and need replacing.

What have you all done when pulling your cars apart about these parts? Any supplies?

Cheers

Adam

(Brown Hornet)

• 4 weeks later...

ok here is the go.

I am in the process of replacing my hatch with a fibreglass one. In the process I have noticed that one of my rubber boots from around the hinge is no good the other is average at best.

Now I am confident I can make a mould from my good one. Then I can use the mould to make latex copies. I am thinking latex because I am used to working with it. It is strong. Just think of the strength in a latex glove then multiply that by about 6 due to the thickness.

The latex isn't cheap so I would expect that each copy would end up being about $15 (per hinge) plus postage. Any body interested?

Wow, thanks for the response guys. I must add though, the copies will be a sort of waxy skin colour not black like the originals. I guess that doesn't matter for most of us though cause you don't see these things anyway. I will get started on them ASAP.

• Administrators

You could start a business selling these. I'd be interested but want to see what they look like first. As long as I can paint it black or something so it 'looks' original I'd be happy with that.

i'm no latex expert .. but is it poss to mix some black pigment / dye into the mix before you mould it? This way they could be made black,

ill take prob one or two sets as well. getting them black just add black pigment as mentioned by acf. guys at work did som eplastic mouldings using silicone and latex. they just added the pigment.

though u can prob make it out of silicone too maybe cheaper??  ???

I think that if you do the pigment, and make good copies, you'll sell these things like hotcakes all over the world, ie US and Japan !... there is Nothing available anywhere and they are a vital piece for any resto that one wants to last (ie not find water in all the wrong places).

Good luck with it Galderdi .. many anxious customers awaiting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have started on a mould for them but I have been extremely busy and haven't got further just yet. The next week or so should be better for me. I'll keep you all informed of the progress.