70 replies to this topic

#41 MR260

MR260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

So was the Zed originally listed for $10000.00 and is now $8500.00 or was it listed for $8500.00 and now $7000.00 and then dropping to $6000.00 tomorrow morning ? If so i gotta seriously chat to wife :o

Joel

#42 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,622 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Agreed.
I find it amusing that people post on this forum 'looking for a early Zed', yet when one like this is offered FS no one jumps at it... ???

Unfortunately when selling cars people will say they are serious and even put down a deposit only to back out at the last minute.

My thoughts are that possibly some people are put off by the colour, however its far cheaper to start with a good solid base car than it would be to buy a $1000 wreck and try to get it on the road.

This car (from the looks of it) represents good value for anyone looking for a 2 seater Zed. At least its still mostly original and unmolested like so many examples.

#43 BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

I'm somewhat tempted by this, being a 2 seater that looks in pretty good shape, but it's a bit more than I wanted my initial outlay to be, especially considering I can't inspect it, and would have to add $500+ to transport it up here. Depends how low it goes before I jump in I guess...

#44 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:15 AM

My thoughts are that possibly some people are put off by the colour, however its far cheaper to start with a good solid base car than it would be to buy a $1000 wreck and try to get it on the road.

This car (from the looks of it) represents good value for anyone looking for a 2 seater Zed. At least its still mostly original and unmolested like so many examples.

I have now reduced the price to $7500. However, in the interests of doing the best I can for my late friend's widow, I have decided that this is as low as I am prepared to go. If the car is not sold today (Monday) I now intend to pull the ad. (at least for a while) and try other advertising outlets. In any case, there is already a buzz of interest from Members, and I have a strong suspicion that the car will be gone very soon. All I am waiting for is the first to formally grab this rare opportunity for a genuine bargain.

#45 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:27 PM

Zed's are one of those cars you don't want to have to be in too much of a hurry to sell. If you need the money quickly, then you have to reduce it to a low enough price so people can't afford not to buy it  ;)

If you set it at a reasonale price, someone will come along and get it eventually.

#46 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:52 PM

Zed's are one of those cars you don't want to have to be in too much of a hurry to sell. If you need the money quickly, then you have to reduce it to a low enough price so people can't afford not to buy it  ;)

If you set it at a reasonale price, someone will come along and get it eventually.

There is no hurry for the sale. However, it does seem to me that the predominant interest on this board is to pick up spare parts cheaply. This car is much too good for that, and I am beginning to think that I should go ahead with the roadworthy. This will enable me to advertise it in wide-circulation media as a road-ready classic sports coupe with new tyres, a new windscreen, reconditioned steering, and all the other things I mentioned previously. If I decide to do that, out of courtesy to you people who have tried so hard to help me, I will post it first on this site. In any event, I will leave the current ad. in place until 9AM tomorrow (Tuesday).

#47 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

$7500  ::)
what are you people doing.

#48 MR260

MR260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

Same thing as you Chris. I might be talking for myself but i think the problem is we all have Zeds already and even though this may be a better base to work on, buying it for many of us will mean selling the Zed we already have :o

I personally didnt sleep last night because i was very much considering buying this car :-\. But what its come down to is it will probably end up costing $10000 minimum with roadworthy which is in my opinion a bargain for a 2seater Zed but i would have to sell my zed and would probably get a maximum of $5000 if im lucky. I also want a manual and this ones an auto. I considered stripping gearbox and motor from my car and converting the 2 seater but if this car is as original as it sounds i think it would be wrong to change engine or transmission and pulling my zed apart would mean one less around.

Anyway if i was selling it i would not get a roadworthy yet and advertise it for $8000.00 no roadworthy it would be great for someone in the club to buy it but chances are where ever its advertised a Zed enthusiast will buy it and probably end up here anyway. And if there not an enthusiast they soon will be ;D

Anyway sorry for crapping on so much, making up for lost time i guess ;)

Joel

#49 MickyG

MickyG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

I think we all agree the car is a bargain @ $7,500 but it is unrealistic to expect the car to have sold within 3 days.  (It was only advertised on the 26th June.)

Personally I think the 10-13k range is very achievable, (with a RWC), however there is a relatively limited market for 30+ year old sports cars, particularly in todays economic climate, so it may take some time to find the right buyer, (with suitable financial authority from their other half.)  :)

Having said that, how long would it have lasted if it was a 240 at that price?

#50 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

I think we all agree the car is a bargain @ $7,500 but it is unrealistic to expect the car to have sold within 3 days.  (It was only advertised on the 26th June.)

Personally I think the 10-13k range is very achievable, (with a RWC), however there is a relatively limited market for 30+ year old sports cars, particularly in todays economic climate, so it may take some time to find the right buyer, (with suitable financial authority from their other half.)   :)

Having said that, how long would it have lasted if it was a 240 at that price?

It is not just that the car did not sell in "just 3 days". Even after the price was reduced from $10,000 to $7,500, there was not a single request from Members to even view the car. I pick up on some messages pretty quickly. There is also the factor that the registration is due to expire in August. If the car is sold before then, it simplifies matters for the Executor of my friend's estate. There is also an emotional factor. My friend would have been devastated at the prospect of his beloved car (complete with its original plates) not continuing to give somebody the great pleasure it brought him for the past 26 years. Accordingly, I have now asked for the classified ad. to be withdrawn, and I shall proceed to have the work done to bring the car up to the magnificent Classic sports coupe standard it deserves to be again. When that is done, I will give Members one last chance to acquire this very fine car, before advertising it more widely.

#51 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

i was thinking the $1000 off a day thing was pretty extreme, probably better off putting it on ebay as then its a wider group of people - and not one where everyone basically owns a zed already

#52 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,622 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:28 PM

i was thinking the $1000 off a day thing was pretty extreme, probably better off putting it on ebay as then its a wider group of people - and not one where everyone basically owns a zed already

Our website stats indicate that there is a large group of people who have not signed into Auszcar.com and are actively monitoring the classifieds section.

In fact the number of views of the classifieds section is proportionately higher for those unregistered than those registered.

I do wonder how effective Ebay / Carsales etc.. is compared with our classifieds section though.

#53 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,658 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:35 PM

Perhaps make the classifides hidden to those not signed up, Gav?

#54 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

I dunno, the harder we make it for people to access the information the less likely they will. We want to make it as easy as possible for people to sell things here right?

#55 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,622 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

Perhaps make the classifides hidden to those not signed up, Gav?

I dunno, the harder we make it for people to access the information the less likely they will. We want to make it as easy as possible for people to sell things here right?

Yeah we have to make it easier for visitors to find not harder. Having the latest cars for sale and parts displayed on the homepage of the site would increase their visibility 10 fold.

The new site will have something like this. When I finally build the new site that is.

#56 MickyG

MickyG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:09 PM

I do wonder how effective Ebay / Carsales etc.. is compared with our classifieds section though.

As someone spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, (for months), searching various online sources for a suitable 240, I would suggest that viczcar classified have a far higher success rate than ebay/carsales/carpoint/drive/my105/carsguide/etc.  There are cars that have been listed for months on some of these sites & there are numerous Zeds that are listed over & over again on ebay with no result.  If you want to sell a Zed, I think this is the place to do it, (my 260, sadly, will end up here when I find my 240.  :) ), particularly if you are keen to see the car go to another Zed enthusiast.

In response to Lurch's comment re restricting access, it depends what you want to achieve.  If you want to sign up the most people you can, make everyone create an account to view classifieds but if you want to create a community of Zed car enthusiasts, (even those who are keen on 2+2s), who are willing to contribute, leave everything open & let those who are interested join in when they are ready.  I lurked here for a couple of years before I signed up & a high proportion of introductions state the same in their 1st post...

#57 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,622 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:04 AM

As someone spending 15-30 minutes a day, every day, (for months), searching various online sources for a suitable 240, I would suggest that viczcar classified have a far higher success rate than ebay/carsales/carpoint/drive/my105/carsguide/etc.  There are cars that have been listed for months on some of these sites & there are numerous Zeds that are listed over & over again on ebay with no result.  If you want to sell a Zed, I think this is the place to do it, (my 260, sadly, will end up here when I find my 240.   :) ), particularly if you are keen to see the car go to another Zed enthusiast.

Good to hear you think this is the place to sell a Zed. For anyone in Australia I would like to think that this is the best place to buy and sell a zed, just Google 'Datsun 240z' or 'Datsun 260z' from Google.com.au and you'll see why.

In response to Lurch's comment re restricting access, it depends what you want to achieve.  If you want to sign up the most people you can, make everyone create an account to view classifieds but if you want to create a community of Zed car enthusiasts, (even those who are keen on 2+2s), who are willing to contribute, leave everything open & let those who are interested join in when they are ready. 

I don't want to lock it down. I would imagine it would be very frustrating to have to login in just to view the for sale section. I actually think forcing people to register could discourage people from registering as oppose to encourage.

I lurked here for a couple of years before I signed up & a high proportion of introductions state the same in their 1st post...

Yes I know this happens and I see the same trend looking at our Web stats data. I'm actively looking for ways to encourage people to join our website rather than just browse and lurk for ages. There is definitely a snowball effect here, in that the more people who join the more want to join.

We have been certainly growing in terms of member numbers very rapidly over the past year when compared with the first couple of years we were around which is positive.

So at the end of the day I don't see a reason to change anything, other than to make the site easier to use, less cluttered and more useful to the members.

#58 mtopxsecret6

mtopxsecret6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:42 AM

No offence to the late owner of the vehicle or the seller aswell, but this thread just goes to show how much these early zeds are really worth. The price is dropping dramatically, and even the zedophiles on the forum who swear black and blue that these cars are worth 3 billion dollars wont even pay the asking price, irrespective of it being a 240-60 or 80. Their old cars, with a cheap purchase price from the original dealer floor, with billions world wide, this does not make them collectors car's, unfortunately. As much as i love my 260, I can face the reality of it not being a rare hard to find supercar collectable.

Just ask a non z owner, what is this car? And i'm sure the response will be "I don't know", or "Their those cheap sports cars from the states".
Ask a z owner involved in a z community, "It's a mega collectable car that's worth mega dollars because of a cult status amongst its own kind".

I love my car, but wont see it any other that a cheap japanese sports car.

Goodluck with the sale, many respects the the parted owner.

#59 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:58 AM

No offence to the late owner of the vehicle or the seller aswell, but this thread just goes to show how much these early zeds are really worth. The price is dropping dramatically, and even the zedophiles on the forum who swear black and blue that these cars are worth 3 billion dollars wont even pay the asking price, irrespective of it being a 240-60 or 80. Their old cars, with a cheap purchase price from the original dealer floor, with billions world wide, this does not make them collectors car's, unfortunately. As much as i love my 260, I can face the reality of it not being a rare hard to find supercar collectable.

Just ask a non z owner, what is this car? And i'm sure the response will be "I don't know", or "Their those cheap sports cars from the states".
Ask a z owner involved in a z community, "It's a mega collectable car that's worth mega dollars because of a cult status amongst its own kind".

I love my car, but wont see it any other that a cheap japanese sports car.

Goodluck with the sale, many respects the the parted owner.

Thank you for this honest and realistic appraisal. I apologise if this thread has tarnished a few romantic notions of how much these old cars are worth. Trying to do my best for my late friend’s estate, I thought it best to offer the car with, or without, its original plates (and a roadworthy certificate). To be honest, I would prefer to sell the car roadworthy – even if the final amount raised is less. I am sure my friend would have wanted his beloved car to live on. However, this may not be the bst place to sell a roadworthy classic car.

#60 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:31 AM

........it's sold..........lets move on to the next rare cheap find.

I think Guihan did the right thing.

Thank you for this honest and realistic appraisal. I apologise if this thread has tarnished a few romantic notions of how much these old cars are worth. Trying to do my best for my late friend’s estate, I thought it best to offer the car with, or without, its original plates (and a roadworthy certificate). To be honest, I would prefer to sell the car roadworthy – even if the final amount raised is less. I am sure my friend would have wanted his beloved car to live on. However, this may not be the bst place to sell a roadworthy classic car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users