#21 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

It cost me $1200 to get reupholstered seats and new carpets which totally transformed the interior of the car. It's something that people will notice immediately when they get inside and it will always get comments since people usually expect poor interiors on old cars. Not sure if you could get all $1200 back on the value, but it might make it much more appealing to a prospective buyer. It took the upholsterer 4 days.

Edit: Just read again your selling it for someone else so this probably isn't a good suggestion  :-[

Another thought, give the engine bay a good go over with a couple cans of degreaser, it will look really good.

#22 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

will be interesting to see what it goes for..........

as is, it doesn't look like something that would fetch more than $10K.

Just put it on carsales mate..........don't waste your time with ebay.

#23 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:39 PM

A standard 2 seater in excellent condition (like winning shows condition) is worth up to mid 20K
A good solid car with no faults (nothing worth repairing) is worth 15K or so
A car with a few faults might be more like 10k
A car needing a restoration is possibly worth 5k
A car thats needing a lot of rust work and panel damage might be worth about 2K

It really depends how quick she needs to sell. If you have time put it up for sale with a high price and see what people are willing to offer. Otherwise wait until a few of the guys on the forum are getting together and take it to them for their opinion.

The car is about to be checked for mechanical defects, so I will report on that in a day or two.

One thing has me a bit confused. I am new to Datsuns, yet I note that this car has a personalised number plate. To a Datsun person, what would be the significance of the number plate 10B262?

#24 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

The car is about to be checked for mechanical defects, so I will report on that in a day or two.

One thing has me a bit confused. I am new to Datsuns, yet I note that this car has a personalised number plate. To a Datsun person, what would be the significance of the number plate 10B262?

Its not a personalised numberplate, it's the original number plate the car was issued with (ie. its never been re-registered).  The old plates used to be black and white like that... Our old '77 Range rover that we were the second owners of, had the numberplate IYH 941 in the same style.  Which incidentally must have been nearly one of the last of that style plate, as a mates '81 Rangie had a white and green plate starting with BJB....  I presume when the white and green plates begun, they started from AAA 000, but I'm not sure.

#25 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

The plates on your 260 are the original ones. The A's started in late 78-79. I remember alot of new VB Commodores starting with A. We had a VC with ATV699 in 1980-81. Another 260Z I know of which is a 77 model has IUP327 in black and white. Keep them in good condition; if you want Vicroads to re-issue them, it will cost $395! You are right Zedophile..

#26 dalee

dalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Tagline:The Z Shed

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:36 AM

My first car was a 1978 - ANX-415 - (it was a VW Golf)
and Dads lotus was/is AGT-401- also 1978

#27 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

A standard 2 seater in excellent condition (like winning shows condition) is worth up to mid 20K

It really depends how quick she needs to sell. If you have time put it up for sale with a high price and see what people are willing to offer. Otherwise wait until a few of the guys on the forum are getting together and take it to them for their opinion.

Many thanks to all who have helped me. I have now placed an ad. for the car (which is actually a 1976 model, not 1975) in the Classified section. I forgot to say that it was an auto, not manual, so I will now try to edit the ad.

Queries by PM please.

#28 Lynton

Lynton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

My 260Z is a June 1977 model Vic Rego IWG 221 original!! Lynton 8)

#29 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

My 260Z is a June 1977 model Vic Rego IWG 221 original!! Lynton 8)

These cars were obviously made to last and are much loved.

#30 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

As I have said, the ad. for the 260Z has now been placed in the Classified page. However, I am now trying to plan for the contingency that I receive no bids for the 260Z . I have assured my late friend’s widow that I will sell my friend’s car, and I am thinking that I may amend the ad. to say that, after 9AM on Saturday 4th July, the price will be reduced by $1000 at the same time each day until the car is sold. Advance bids will still be welcome, but bidders will have to specify whether or not their bid is for the car plus roadworthy, or just the car. I would appreciate informed opinion on that plan.

As I have spelt out in my answer to a question on the Classified page, the optional extra $3000 gets you the original plates, any worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver’s seat re-padded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed … and a roadworthy certificate.

#31 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

I have assured my late friend’s widow that I will sell my friend’s car, and I am thinking that I may amend the ad. to say that, after 9AM on Saturday 4th July, the price will be reduced by $1000 at the same time each day until the car is sold. Advance bids will still be welcome, but bidders will have to specify whether or not their bid is for the car plus roadworthy, or just the car.

Well, if you decide to do that, I'll be around there with a trailer and a fistful of cash on the 11th of July ($3000 without RWC)..... Somehow think it'll be gone by then though!

#32 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:41 PM

Well, if you decide to do that, I'll be around there with a trailer and a fistful of cash on the 11th of July ($3000 without RWC)..... Somehow think it'll be gone by then though!

Yes, I reckon my own piggy bank may be tempted to intervene before it got that far. In any case, I would expect any serious bids to come by PM and subsequent to inspection of the vehicle.

#33 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

I would expect any serious bids to come by PM and subsequent to inspection of the vehicle.

Very true.  However I'm only 15 minutes away from you (or 5 if I'm at work), and from what the photos show inspection would likely be a formality.  You've been very upfront about the car and the faults it has.  To be honest, if I were you I wouldn't drop the price by much - I would say if the car presents as well as it appears, less than 7k would be doing a grave disservice to your friend, and there shouldn't be any problems in getting that price for it in the current zed market.

Unfortunately my current situation doesn't allow me to even consider anything above my earlier mentioned price, I have enough projects and expenditures on the go as it is, else I would have come and checked the car out in great detail already.  But as I'm not in the position to offer in the vicinity of the current price range, I don't want to waste your time.  If it gets down to a point where I can justify the money to myself (and certain others!), then I will be in contact.

Good luck with the sale.

#34 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

[quote author=Zeddophile link=topic=4522.msg42793#msg42793 date=1246081251]
You've been very upfront about the car and the faults it has.  To be honest, if I were you I wouldn't drop the price by much/quote]
Thanks for that. Maybe a more sensible plan would be to reduce the price by $1000 each week, if necessary, until sold. There is really no need to rush things.

#35 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

I sensed my price was a tad high, so I have cut it by $1500.

$8500 will now get you the car minus plates. An extra $3000 gets you the original plates, all worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver's seat repadded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed ... and a roadworthy certificate.

Bids by PM please.

#36 Guihan

Guihan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:28 PM

I sensed my price was a tad high, so I have cut it by $1500.

$8500 will now get you the car minus plates. An extra $3000 gets you the original plates, all worn steering parts replaced, a new windscreen, four new tyres, the driver's seat repadded, all faulty globes replaced, factory air filter and emission controls fitted, front brake callipers serviced, a couple of minor oil leaks fixed ... and a roadworthy certificate.

Bids by PM please.

Unless previously sold, the price will be further reduced by $1000 at 9AM tomorrow (Monday). The price will then continue to be reduced at the same time daily until sold. Add $3000 if a roadworthy certificate is required. I have seen other ads for 260Z cars, some for higher prices, some lower. The main difference is that, with this car, we KNOW what it will cost to get it roadworthy. Please don't be "just too late" with your bid! Arrange inspection/road test via personal message to me.

#37 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:01 PM

thats an interesting............... auction going downwards ..... ;D ;D

so tempting ...................  "SLAP"  no can't do it. got too many cars....... i hope someone from here gets it looks like a good car.

hey South Aussies this could be a bargain as we dont require that silly roadworthy certificate  :P only id inspection.

good luck with the sale. price is reasonable and if u droping 1K a day someone will get a bargain of the century.........

me watching  :)  "SLAP'' another one by the missus.  :'(

#38 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

this is soooo tempting...
can you please speak to my wife to grant permission to purchase..Im having no luck. ::)
c'mon all those wanna be zedders, its here on a plate for you.

#39 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:08 PM

Agreed.
I find it amusing that people post on this forum 'looking for a early Zed', yet when one like this is offered FS no one jumps at it... ???

#40 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:42 PM

I think quite a few people will be on their way to a bank tomorrow.... they better be! For that price it's a bargain!! I hate not having money....shiza!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users