240Z Wanted for historic racing

Tappets

I am looking to buy a 240Z to use in historic racing. Would prefer one that is already prepared with a log book. I live in Melbourne but would collect Australian wide.

Please e-mail me ; davehair@hotmail.co.uk

Hey Dave,

You might want to elaberate on your first post. Are you in the UK. Are you visiting Australia. Do you think someone is just going to give you their pride and joy to race around a track for nothing?

What the hell!!!!  Lurch I think the post has been edited mate. That's not how the post read this morning.  :-\ There was no word "Buy" no "Location" and a .UK email address?? Anyway I think people might know what Tappets is on about now.

Hmm..

sorry tappets, but i dont think for your first 3 posts and your opening thread that you should try be a little bit more friendly, especially since you got a response from one of the more senior members, who im sure would have been happy to help.

Not trying to have a go, but too many times do we see people coming onto the these forums either just wanting things, or trying to sell things and having no real contribution to the forums.

So.. how about we go back ontopic from here on out and start fresh ;).

As scando said my105 is very good, also i have spotted 2 or 3 fully logbooked race Zeds for sale in the unique cars magazine this week. Definatly worth a look.

-Michael

Hey Guys,

This is getting a bit silly!

Sorry Craig, the only thing I changed to make it clearer was I wanted to buy a car, but be honest ,who would expect to be given a car???  My location etc etc was included at the begining and not edited! My UK e-mail, had it for years and that is why I put in my location.

Michael,

Friendly? The trouble with writing is the recipient takes from it what they think, not always what the scribe wrote. I was trying to have a bit of a leg pull, no more than that. If that back fired,  I appologise.

RE the advice, I appreciate all that is given. I have checked 105 but the red car has been sold.. The same one is in Unique cars. Apart from that, I thought I would give this a go.

As you say, start again.

I suspect it is now clear what I am wanting.

Well I wasn't going to say any more but.....

Thanks for your support guys.

Tappets from the initial post I even wondered if you were from the UK looking to visit Australia and do a race meet and try and get a loan car or something. Contrary to Lurch's post I am actually pretty smart. But Lurch lacks a bit of tact on occassions, we make allowances for that.   :) Any way lets move on.

You might want to get a little involved with some of the members here and learn as much as you can about the Zed before purchasing one. Presuming you haven't had one before. Once in the crowd you will find cars coming up for sale that may not even be advertised. My brother, dare I say it has one of the fastest track/road reg 240 Zeds around. He is thinking about selling another 240Z of his, that he has done up from rotisery to turn key never been registered but is finished.

I guess you might want to tell us roughly how much you want to spend and where you want to be as far as pace is concerned on the track. That will determine the amount of mods you will need on the car.

This might help you get a better response from our members with a vast aray of helpful hints.

Craig,

I want to spend $30k but that has to get me on the track, so car max about $25k. It all depends on what is available and how well it has been done. I want it to be road-registerable.

What is your view on where that would get me?

Dave

25K will get you a good fast Zed that's for sure. You would want to find something someone might have spent around 40K on, done a bit of sprinting in it and sorted out all the gremlins. If I was you I would visit a couple of track days at Phillip Island & Sandown and have a chat with some of the Zed owner/sprinters. Everything is for sale for a price or they might know of someone. Definately don't rush into it. For that money you definately want the car good to go with virtually nothing more to spend. The engine and it's mods/HP would obviously be another key point.

My brother (Gordons) Blue Zed was not built as a racer. It's more a nice clean/straight, no rust, good disks all round, coil overs etc but not a hot motor. He was talking around 27K to me last weekend. But I told him he was crazy selling it after working on it for 2 years and not even driving it. Too busy with other cars. Ha.

Anyway have a look around and even enquire interstate. I know there are some awesome machines there as well. (Zed Websites). When you find one and close to making a purchase then give us a yell on here and some of us might either know the car or at least advise if it's a good deal. I am definately not the expert in this field but between many of the active members you will get a good heads up.

Hope that helps. Regards

That would comfortably get you a a race prepped 'Sc' Zed, IMHO.

However, if you want to win classes/races, a Zed is not the car to go for. Depends on what your after a guess...

I don't know Lurch, a well prepped 240, 260, or if you know your away around the rule book, 280Z, not ZX, will beat the 911's on their day in Group Sc. You only have to look at the results at Philip Island and Eastern Creek this year, the Zeds are quite competitive and if you had a budget as big as Bill Pyes you could beat his 911 with a Z.

In Prod sports you are right, a Z, no matter what your budget will never beat the Porsches or Cobras of the big boys.

• 2 weeks later...

did you check out mike rowes silver 240z historic class car,i think it has log books and has done quite a few events

he's after 25k and lives in bunbury

pm me if you need more details or his email address

I have come accross a 240 with a L28, 3 webers,fancy ignition system,uprated brakes,adjustable suspension, CAMS roll cage, all good straight & rust free. Advice on its approx value would be appreciated.

Cheers D