41 replies to this topic

#21 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 08:27 PM

also a yellow colour can be due to fuel premo fuel is a yellow colour and normal 91 ron fuel is blue/ purple and i also put some cleaner in today but fuel tank was quite clean free from dirt and rust.

#22 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

Check the fuel pressure regulator. If that is open too much that will cause a low fuel pressure. If you can find a spare one its worth a try.

#23 Zedback

Zedback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Tagline:Mike

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

Pauly, reading over the posts I couldn't tell if you or Mick had done the Liters/minute check?  I'm pretty sure the test is listed in the FSM.  If I remember right, when I did it, I took the EFI hose from the inlet to the filter and put it in a 1 liter glass jar, and with the started solenoid disconnected switched the ignition to start.  For me the fuel came out as slow stream full of bubbles when the strainer was clogged.

If you are getting a good pressure reading which then drops off it does sound like a flow problem.  Either the pump is stuffed, filters are clogged or you might even have a clog, crush or kink in a fuel line.  If you've checked all the filters I'd be carefully inspecting all fuel hardlines and replacing all EFI hose.
Good luck!

#24 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

yeh all lines and filters where blasted with compressed air and there where know blockages. i cleaned the screen filter in the fuel tank and cleaned all the lines going to fuel pump also. im now down to the fuel pump, there would only just be 500ml to 1L per min shoud the fuel be blasting out before the pressure regulator eg at the fuel pump or fuel filter or should it just be a slow burble.

cheers pauly

#25 Zedback

Zedback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:50 PM

1L/min isn't all that much, enough to form a steady stream out of the hose.  Doesn't blast out, but shouldn't be a trickle either.  I never actually re-did the test after cleaning out the filter so can't say for sure.  It does sound like you're down to the pump, but you still could have a crush or kink in a hardline that would reduce flow yet still appear to blast compressed air through.  See how the new pump goes  :-\

#26 Mick280zx

Mick280zx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

I think zedback is on the money.

I just remembered that the steel line from the filter to the injectors is kinked near the front of the rocker cover. I dismissed it because it seemed to be the return line (?)

Maybe the pump is just shagged

As far as the ECU goes I not long ago removed the 35 pin connector and cleaned everything up and all looked fine.

Another issue may be that crap is stuck in the small filters in the injectors? But it does sound like the pump is shagged.

#27 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

that pressure was tested from the hose coming directly from the fuel pump not the steel lines etc, also it was just trickling out compared to my 260z fuel pump and it only runs low pressure but thanks for the info on the dint ill be getting a new fuel pump hopefuly tomorow so we will see how it all goes.

cheers pauly

#28 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:42 AM

My zed pretty much has exactly the same symptoms. The only way I can get it to run without coughing its guts up is to run it with zero advance. Does yours do the same?

Ray

#29 Zedback

Zedback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

...is to run it with zero advance...

Other things to check are your valve clearances and confirm your timing.
My 280zx started playing up badly and then a few days later the dampener pulley on the crank pulley separated completely, it has the timing mark on it.  I've heard of them slipping a few degrees as the rubber bond starts to disintegrate.  :(

#30 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

Ray, zero advance if your running carbs doesnt quite sound right..a few of us are running 7-8 degrees advance and its perfect (for our motors anyway !)

#31 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

yes the pullies do slip currently on my 260z its is set to 25 degrease advanced mind you its realy only about 8. as for the 280zx i done a test on the mass air flow meter and its saying its no good so new one is on its way, new fuel pump is fitted and much better car will idle now rough but will idle and fuel pressure is good again. so ill keep you posted on how it all goes.

cheers pauly

#32 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

Other things to check are your valve clearances and confirm your timing.
My 280zx started playing up badly and then a few days later the dampener pulley on the crank pulley separated completely, it has the timing mark on it.  I've heard of them slipping a few degrees as the rubber bond starts to disintegrate.  :(

Interesting. I pulled my timing cover off and got everything to TDC. Looked down at the timing mark on the dampener and it was nothing near TDC. Hmm, have to check the pulley....

#33 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

Well Zero advance on the distributor anyway. Oh yeah it makes very little power, but at least it doesnt spit and sputter and backfire.

#34 kalium

kalium

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

yes the pullies do slip currently on my 260z its is set to 25 degrease advanced mind you its realy only about 8. as for the 280zx i done a test on the mass air flow meter and its saying its no good so new one is on its way, new fuel pump is fitted and much better car will idle now rough but will idle and fuel pressure is good again. so ill keep you posted on how it all goes.

cheers pauly

I was talking to my mechanic mate today and told him about the symptoms of my car and he said it could very well be the air flow meter. I will check mine tomorrow and hopefully thats all it is.

Ray

#35 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

ok car is now running and driving better than before mind you it is realy out of tune. worked out it was the fuel pump and the airflow meter, there was a part in the air flow meter that had become detached so i put it on and presto it lives. if anyone need some help with similar symptoms just ask. im still putting on my new air flow sensor when it arrives but i can finaly drive it again.

thankyou for all your help and i hope oneday i can return the favor.

cheers pauly

#36 Zedback

Zedback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Congrats on getting it running  :)

#37 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

got the new sensor today so it will be going on tonight its running 100% better than it was and im hoping with the new sensor it will run even beter ill keep you posted on the resaults.

cheers pauly

#38 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

Good one Pauly

Any chance of a part number for the airflow sensor and supplier....

Cheers

#39 pauly_adams

pauly_adams

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

nope its back to its old ways i installed the new sensor it runs much smoother but is poping down low. seems to be lack of fuel due to when it pops its out the intake not exaust and it runs fine untill it becomes warm. next step now is to put the old one back in and see if it comes good again if so then im truely puzzeled ill keep you posted on whats going on it sounds like its a injector so ill also check that moz.

cheers pauly

#40 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

nope its back to its old ways i installed the new sensor it runs much smoother but is poping down low. seems to be lack of fuel due to when it pops its out the intake not exaust and it runs fine untill it becomes warm. next step now is to put the old one back in and see if it comes good again if so then im truely puzzeled ill keep you posted on whats going on it sounds like its a injector so ill also check that moz.

cheers pauly

If it comes good with the old air flow metre back on, then the new one probably just needs a bit of adjustment (or could be faulty)....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users