Sign in to follow this  
waxhead

Wax,s 260z 2+2 long term build

I Bolted my intake manifold up to just make sure the clearance would be right

Its going to come through just perfect.

When i unbolted the carbs and threw them over my shoulder there was so much more room.

Will actually be easy to work on this thing with out those pesky old fuel hit and miss parts on it

No comments about the engine bay please , i know its a mess and i will get onto it after i have the parts all made up. I just done want to do it up and then have to work on it and scatch it all up

DSC08649.jpg

DSC08652.jpg

DSC08653.jpg

Alright i think i have the brake system sorted

r31 rear brakes and Toyota 4 pot front brakes on non vented rotors

Not the worlds best if i was racing but more than enough for the street and punting it around tight roads at 100kph of course

I just found out that when i was told my car had gone back to bare metal they actually meant it needs to go back to bare metal

I just found a rack of rust in the front end. Its a shame to have that happen , I guess one persons idea of back to metal is different than the others

Im looking at getting fiberglass front guards it may be a lot easier in the long run and the issue of recurring rust is gone as well

ahhhhh that sucks, i had a suspicion this car had rust, freshly painted zeds for sale tend to be covering something up. Correctly removing rust and painting the car is the hardest/worst work in my opinion (but also the most rewarding).

Alfa Motorsport do fiberglass parts, you probably know of them

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=2285.0

If that fails maybe get into contact with paul at zbitz near ipswich and see if he has any "rust free" gaurds

Your restoring an old Datsun - did you NOT expect rust?

No he bought a freshly painted car that said it had a bare metal respray...

Yes i expected a bit of rust. But i was told it was a bare metal respray and thought that meant the paint was off and it was bare metal.

It seems that it may have been bare metal in some paces and bare rust on other places.Its not the end of the world but i am just disapointed.

I guess it just means alot more work. At least i know if i do it myself i will do it right and have a good car

Its all cool Lurch you were to know

Here is the front guard i pulled off

Not sure if this is back to the metal or not ???

Some things they have done ok , some things are terrible

004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

A "bare metal respray" should never have the old original colour underneath! Looks like those side of the road $800 specials. The point in the lower part of the windscreen still has the outline of the guard in yellow paint! ie panels weren't even removed when it was painted. The indicators weren't even removed...I'd be going through the entire car again so you know its had a bare metal respray.

Dont worry i will be

I knew it was not the best job but i hadnt expect this. Anyway enough of that

Can you guys tell me when you fit a front spoiler does it replace the front panel under the bumber completely or does it bolt to it.

:)

You certainly like your socks..at least your finding the hidden free extra's now rather than later

I think george would like your socks :)

BTW some spoilers do replace the panel & some don't.

Picked my engine up from the hot tank guy today

Tomorrow i will start cleaning out the casting marks out of it.

001-4.jpg

005-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

Hot tank was 50 and yes just the block at this stage the head i am going to use is still on the car.

But I will get it acid dipped as well when its time to do the head. The head is a few weeks away yet, im waiting on the valves for that to turn up.

Ok i know this looks strange but there is method in my madness.

Im trying to work out the best place for my turbo to sit and still have equal length headers.

Dont tell the wife about her vacum hose thats gone missing.

001-6.jpg