Tim's 73' 240Z Build Up

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally got around to installing one of the L28 electronic distributors I had laying around into my L24 to replace the points dizzy. I did have to take the rocker cover off to make sure I had it on the right stroke after it wouldn't start the first time but electronically there was no dramas at all.

I was surprised how easy it was and how smoother it starts and revs now even without the vacuum advance hooked up. Now I just need to wire up my alternator......anyone have a voltage regulator laying around??

I've got an L28 alternator on it but apparently the voltage regulator sits on the guard somewhere and without knowing what one looks like I can't find one from all the parts I stripped off the 2 x 280zx's I had.

Are you saying your 280zx alternator has a voltage reg built in?

I sure am, if your alternator has a built in regulator, you don't want an external regulator as well, it will cause you issues.

Here is a picture of an external regulator I pulled from my car (previous owner had converted to internally regulated, disconnected external, but left regulator in the car).

IMG_3783.jpg

• Moderators

If you are still running carbs and nothing real power hungry in the zed, stock alternator should be fine... I had to upgrade to a 280ZX one now because of the ECU, fuel pumps, thermo fan, injectors, sensors and everything else that sucks power. Stock 240Z alternator couldn't cope with all that load. Since I installed it, I can tell the difference! Everything runs well when it receives 14 volts instead of 12!

What I should have clarified was my alternator has never been hooked up since I bought the car without a wiring harness, and that was the next thing on my list so I don't have to manually charge the car battery. Not that I need an upgraded alternator since I upgraded the dizzy ;D

How do you tell if your alternator has a built in reg??

• 3 weeks later...

Brought the Zed out into the sunshine yesterday for a wash. Been sitting in the shed for so long, kind of felt sorry for it. My wife snapped some pics of it. Not much has changed really, but I'm hoping some coil over sleaves and a front spoiler are under the christmas tree ::) Maybe some rota's next year.

Picture250636510.jpg

Picture250636514.jpg

Picture250636541.jpg

Picture250636549.jpg

Picture250636508.jpg

Picture250636533.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I initially coated the carbs with a clear coat of touch up gloss but when I striped the carbs to remove the bead blasting medium it got stripped off during a petrol dip. Then I used some heat proof clear paint (engine/manifold stuff) but it never really seemed to dry hard and stayed sticky.