Sign in to follow this  
RB30X

Tim's 73' 240Z Build Up

Ahh sweet, thanks mate. Lucky I haven't painted them yet ;D

Did you do the enlarging and redrilling yourself or get someone with some flash tools to do it for you. I suppose the remarking of the new hole pattern wouldn't be too hard to figure out, just time consuming.

I had a local machine shop Mill out the centre to to 86(?)mm Dia. for me, (you could possibly do this carefully with a plasma cutter or die grinder if your mad enough)

then I simply used the old drum brake backing plate as a template to get the mounting hole PCD correct.

I also drilled the holes out 0.5mm larger than needed, to give me room if the holes didn't go EXACTLY in the right spot.

I also had to cut back some of the 'lip' on the back of the bracket to clear the hub casting.

Just be patent & keep measuring/checking!

Hey Lurch, I think you should put up a sticky tech thread on the R31 rear caliper conversion like your 280zx one. I'm guessing you've got more pictures and more info about it. What car did you perform this on? And I noticed you've drilled the holes to have the caliper in the twelve o'clock position. Any reason for this. I was thinking at the rear like the front brakes. Which way would best suit the suspension geometry?

The strut tube is in the way if you want the caliper at the 3 o'clock position. You can either have it at the 12 or like mine, at the 9 (on the PS; 3 on the drivers side). I managed to get the handbrake cable hooked up and working but not the best. I just have to increase the length of the linkage of the hand brake bits in the transmission tunnel to get more travel for the fixed amount of travel of the handbrake lever. Hard to describe but when I get to it, I will take some pics. When we do make a sticky, I have some pics I can supply to help illustrate.

Just some quick piccys of the fronts getting coil overs. I ended up just using my arc welder as both the tube and sleeve were quite thick and it was easy to get good penatration without heating them up too much.

Picture250636745.jpg

Picture250636746.jpg

Picture250636747.jpg

Picture250636748.jpg

Picture250636750.jpg

Picture250636753.jpg

None, the sleeve slides over where the old spring perch was, measure down 100mm (thanks to Lurch) and weld. In the third photo, the sleeve is just sitting there slid over the tube.

Looking shiver hot.  Good work.

Just got my order through from Black Dragon. Extremely fast. I think it would have taken longer from Brisbane. One complete rubber kit, two turn signal lenses and a pair of dove tails for the rear hatch.

Picture250636756.jpg

Unfortunently it looks as though there's a bit of Zed wrangling going on atm, so which car will these go onto????