136 replies to this topic

#1 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

So I've been on here for a bit and although I'm missing the most important part of a build up.........the car, I still thought I'd start a thread.

The car I'm 'hopefully' getting is a 73' 240Z, but the owner is trying to track down the interior so in the mean time I bought two 280ZX's and sold a few parts to you guys and flooded ebay with the rest.

Out of the two 280ZX's I'm keeping basically a whole driveline including an L28 (minus efi) with electronic dizzy, a 5 speed and the whole R200 diff assembly.

I thought the F54 in one of the cars would have flat topped pistons but unfortunently they are dished.

To keep me occupied until the 240z's interior is found (storage business gone bust) I've decided to rebuild myself a higher compression L28 engine with a ported head, flat tops and a decent street cam. So I don't have to start the brand new engine with an unknown electrical and fuel system I plan to remove the efi manifold and loom from the remaining 280ZX and install a carb manifold and carbs, replace the fuel pump, and install and re-wire the elctronic dizzy. Once that engine is running ok, I'll fell a lot more comfortable swapping the dizzy and carbs over to the newly rebuilt engine which will hopefully be sitting in a 240Z.

A few questions for the guru's:

1. Where can I buy pistons from for my build?
2. Do ACL do an L28 upper and lower bearing kit?
3. Will somewhere like Repco be able to provide a VRS kit including head gasket or do I look somewhere else?

Anyway, I love looking at peoples build up pics and I also love taking a few myself.
Here is the stripping of the F54 block and N42 head.

Oh, since I'm such a tight arse, I've never bought a valve spring compressor. Instead I've made my own to suit RB30 and LS1 heads with much success. Each required a different approach obviously and the N24 head was no different, although muchmore brutal. I preffer a wind down nut which keeps the spring/s compressed giving you two hands for collet removal. I made this on a night shift out of stainless steel. Works brilliantly, although after about half of the springs were removed I need to put an extension pipe on the lever bar (which I expected) as my arms were getting sore.

cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

That's a rather cleaver tool!

A few questions for the guru's:

1. Where can I buy pistons from for my build?
2. Do ACL do an L28 upper and lower bearing kit?
3. Will somewhere like Repco be able to provide a VRS kit including head gasket or do I look somewhere else?

1: Any good auto spares retailer should be able to get them for you.
If not SWmotorsport has L28 flatops in stock.

2: Upper & lower bearing kit? ??? Do you mean main's & big end bearing kits?
Yes they do but I suggest you stick with a quality Japanese bearing brand such as Gen. Nissan or 'NDC'.
Japense bearing have better repeatability & bearing material than ACL. Unless you want to spend big $$$ on US made 'King' items...

3: Yes, Repco sell the full ACL or Permatex gasket set for the L28. They are fine to use on a mild road L28.

#3 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

That's a rather cleaver tool!

I was also admiring his tool  :-[

#4 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

Group buy? :P

#5 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,522 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:18 AM

Tool Envy?

Group buy? :P

I was thinking allong the same lines actually. I remember I had a tool for this but it was still well hard. Getting those collets in and out in a pain in the backside.

#6 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:45 AM

Tool Envy?

It's a lot bigger in real life I swear. ;)

Yeah I wanted to make one that didn't need the head removed but since mine was off at the time anyway it actually made it harder. I've also smashed up an old spark plug and welded an air fitting onto it to keep the valves up etc. I wanted to make one with a nut and thread that bolts to the head and torques down one or two springs but the springs themselves are too close together and theres that block that supports the cam bearing with oil feed that gets in the road as well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:56 PM

Here is some progress shot of me cleaning up the old N42 head.
I was surprised how well it cleaned up after brushing on some truck wash and letting it soak.
Before: with truck wash soaking in.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've also removed the efi manifold from the second engine still in the car and performed some port matching to the head, as well as matched and tapered the standard throttle body. I don't actually need this manifold so I'll probably flog it off on ebay.

I'm guessing a huge power loss was there from factory from the manifold ports being so much smaller when they meet the head.

Before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is also removed the big dags at the very front of the inlet manifold. I uncovered some bolt hole threads when removing these dags on the inside of the plenum and the runners where the injectors bolt in but using locktite when reassembling the manifold will eliminate any vaccum/boost loss.

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Throttle body

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Insert "wide open throttle noises' here:

Posted Image

#8 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

So SW Motorsprt is a great place to buy flat tops and rings/bearings etc to rebuild my 2.8L, do you also buy performance cams through them? These prices are based on a re-grind so I guess you have to ship your standard cam to him, how mush does this cost roughly.
And I take it you need to upgrade valve springs with a lumpier cam? I've heard Lurch say a 74 inlet cam is s great street cam so I might look at something like that.

What sort of diameter carbs do you use for a decent street package?? I see 40mm 45mm or 50mm ones.?

I've got one engine on the stand to strip, and clean up the exterior parts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

#9 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

OK, the interior is here, bar a couple of small items see here: http://www.viczcar.c...pic,4529.0.html

Almost all the trim pieces are in excellent condition.
The seats, center console and dash are awesome.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 waxhead

waxhead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:16 PM

Is this the intake manifold that just sold on ebay ???.

Nice looking interior, when does the car turn up

#11 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:29 PM

Sure is ;D, someone sure got a cheap deal.

Car comes tomorrow.

#12 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

OOh Happy Days.........

So the Z has finally made it to its new home. We've had a bit of a bonding session just now when I washed it for the first time. Couple of rust bubbles through the not so flash paint job, but the red is starting to grow on me. So the final purchase price was $low :D so I'm very pleased, especially since it was really the only one available in about 8000kms, and the interior as you've seen is in quite good nic and rust wise it isn't that bad (I'm sure you've all said that at some stage).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I do have to find a front bumper, grill and air dam.

Repair some rust around the window sill before I get the glass installed, then try to fire up the engine after I give it a quick (see: long) going over.

Posted Image

#13 maddos

maddos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

$1200???? Seller must still be walking funny...
What a bargain

#14 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:19 PM

+1!

#15 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

Today I dodgely wired up the starter motor and kicked the engine over for a bit without the spark plugs in to pump some oil round the 2.4L. Then I primed the mech fuel pump and eventually got some fuel coming through the lines. I pulled the carbies off (they were already off) and there wasn't much I could do today so I just covered them on wd40 and put some silicone on the flange due to the gasket being in about 100 pieces and kicked it over again with the plugs in. I had no choke linkage or throttle so I rigged up some rope. ;D I wired up the coil and checked the plugs for spark and there was?? So I grabbed the video camera and tried again as per forum rules. I must admit I tried once before the actual vid because I honestly didn't think it would fire.

It's missing a few?? pots but it did run :o
I don't think the vacuum advance is working but I haven't confirmed this with a timing light and it won't run without the choke (rope). Bear in mind the vid is without a water pump.

Excuse the water mark, I've just got a new computer and my vid editing software which I just recently paid for is not transfering. :-\

#16 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

Good stuff Tim, You don't mess around having it running already. Is this the one from Cranbrook?
Regards
Peter

#17 RB30X

RB30X

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

Sure is mate.

I just wanted to get this engine running before it sacrificed it's spot for a bigger brother.

I did some work in the drivers side foot well today and AHHHHH :o I found some rust. I must say i was feeling pretty left out for a while there but now I definently feel like part of the gang.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

From underneath it looks like the passenger side is worse.
At least you can buy new floor pans for them can't you??
And carpet kits? I've done a search but all you guys seem to have done is use your old ones for a template which is cool but I don't have any carpet to begin with so what do you recommend?

Cheers

#18 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:59 PM

Jump on Ebay or do a Google search

There are many sellers.......

#19 silverz

silverz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

Tim,
I bought carpet online and wasn't really happy with it. I have most of my old carpet for a template if you need it.
Regards
Peter

#20 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

I would have to agree that making your own carpet is probably the best solution. What I have done in the past is buy the carpet from a trimmer, cut it to the size/shape I want, then take it to the trimmer with where I want it sewn together and where I wanted it edged...

Honestly, probably only marginally cheaper then if I had the trimmer do the whole lot, but I end up with a result that I am happy with as I am a perfectionist  ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users