19 replies to this topic

#1 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 01:25 AM

These are a street legal semi slick...theres a garage in qld that can do 205/50/15 for $151+post. Good price as i was also considering RE001's by Bridgstone also in that price range.

Has anyone had any experiences with these tyres? I was opting for semi slicks because, i have heard people saying once you have driven on slicks you'd never want to go back to regular road tyres ;D.

Posted Image

#2 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:41 AM

Yup that is true. I have a set of Khumos and they are great but cost is the issue. They are more expensive and don't last anywhere near as long as road tyres. I can't afford to be buying R spec tyres every six months. As it is just using them on track days they'll only last two seasons.

But if you can afford to good luck to you.

By the way what are the details for the shop? The place I went to is more expensive (i think, hard to tell cause the ones I got were 225s)

#3 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

Lucky you. The guy is in Brisbane. Heres a link. 205/50 are the only ones listed for 15's if somehow you can wider ones let me know.

http://www.hardtuned...00#entry5114068

#4 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

mine are 16s. Might make a difference in availability

#5 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

The other thing with 'R' tyres is they tend to get really noisy when they wear a bit - I'm talking 4wd with mud tyres type howl coming up from your tyres.  If you can put up with it, yes they grip like nothing else, but yes they also wear very fast.  Personally I'd buy the RE001s for a purely road car.  Got them on my Alfa, and they stick very well.  Haven't tried my Rs on the road yet to compare directly, all the R tyred cars I've driven have been other peoples.

#6 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hey Sach, if you are interested I can get a hold of sets of second hand (2-3 meets old) Yokohama A032R's for $50 each in 225-50 x 15. I'll be picking up a set real soon so I can give you more info if need be..
205 50's might be a bit small in the diameter. Original size equivalent in 15 would be a 205 60 series.

#7 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hey Dimitri definatly interested. How much driving would i get from them? i will need them in 6 to 9 weeks as that is when i will receiving my new rims, but if your getting them sooner thats cool too.

Tyres needed to suit 8J and 9J. The 225's should be alright for the 9's yer?, i think i will need a bit of stretch on the rears to fit under guards without rubbing.

#8 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Kumho's generally seem to be a bit off the pace in racing compared to some of the other semi-slicks but I'm talking about a small amount that you most likely won't even notice driving on the road.  That's an awesome price though  :o  I run Bridgestones and am about to give a set of Dunlops a try and you would expect to pay at least double that price for either of those in that size.  I'm not too sure about wear for general road driving.  Most semi-slicks come in a range of compounds so make sure you get the hardest if you have a choice and then they might last alright.

#9 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

I was looking at tyres recently and found that alot have a wear number. The lower the number the softer and quicker the tyres wear but the problem i found was different companies scale the wear numbers at different rates so can be confusion when comparing. I suppose in the end this post does'nt help hey!  ???

Sulio

#10 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hey Dimitri definatly interested. How much driving would i get from them? i will need them in 6 to 9 weeks as that is when i will receiving my new rims, but if your getting them sooner thats cool too.

Tyres needed to suit 8J and 9J. The 225's should be alright for the 9's yer?, i think i will need a bit of stretch on the rears to fit under guards without rubbing.

Even when new semi slicks don't have much tread depth to begin with. The guy told me he does have sets that are better than others so expect to pay a little more. I'd expect to get a fair bit of use out of them but it all depends how much driving you intend to do. Are you going to use it every day? or once a week? 225's on a 8" is ok; on a 9" might be a bit of a stretch...only one way to find out!

#11 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

couple time a week i guess. And they are longer trips like 30km trips one way i know how slick wear more when they are cold. I also read they are quite lnoisey on the road, do you find that to be true dimetri

#12 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:45 AM

They should be fine for that sort of use. They are a tad noisy especialy if you are doing around 80 kph and above; they sound like a chunky 4WD tyre. They also grip well in the wet better than some road tyres I've used!

#13 ol_skl_jp

ol_skl_jp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

yer i just wanna see how they go and last. :D Are the ones you can get hard compund tyres?

#14 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

FYI
Just purchased some new Bridgestone RE55S's semi slicks from Donellen's in Preston 225's x 16 50 series for $175 a tyre. Special price for the month of May only. If any one's interested now's the time.

John

#15 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Similar price for 17" tires John?

#16 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:51 PM

FYI
Just purchased some new Bridgestone RE55S's semi slicks from Donellen's in Preston 225's x 16 50 series for $175 a tyre. Special price for the month of May only. If any one's interested now's the time.

John

Cheap!!!!

I just noticed in a magazine that Kumho advertise the KU36 as a high performance road tyre.  This would suggest it is a harder compound and should last half decent but won't give the performance of a genuine track/tarmac rally tyre.

#17 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hey Lurch,

Two months ago they quoted me $250 a tyre. The Toyo's R888 which I would prefer, best price I can find is $320 a tyre. I think Warrenz has put the Toyo's R88 on his Rota RB's. The Bridgie's at $175 are pretty good value and have had good feedback for srint use. Currently got Toyo's Proxes RA1's which Toyo have stopped making.

John

#18 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:59 PM

I think Warrenz has put the Toyo's R88 on his Rota RB's

Not quite, they are Toyo Proxes R1R, price was around $210 to $220 as I had different size front and rear.

Warren

#19 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 05 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Option One in Queensland sell these sizes in 15 and 16:

205/50/15
$151.00

215/45/16
$133.00

225/50/16
$155.00

Add GST to the prices, plus freight to Melb.
I put some on a GT-R recently, they are a 180 treadwear tyre so not super-soft but a good compromise for road/weekend track. That GT-R did 50+ laps of Phillip Island and they were only about 1/3 worn. Better than Falken Azenis but not as grippy as Toyo R1R or RA-1.

#20 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

Option 1 are brilliant. They have just quoted me for road tyres as well. $30 per tyre saving :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users