Homebrew Retrim

nedloh312

I am thinking of re trimming my car myself, i am pretty handy on the sewing machine and my mum is a pro, has anyone here done it before? I have made new couch covers and seat covers but this would be in leather... So yer, has anyone tried this before? I would only be doing the seats and paying for the headlining and doors because i need to get new panels...

i have wanted  give this a go my self. I guess if you unstitch the original seat covers and use them as a pattern for the new it would be doable.

I would find an old seat from a wreckers and get some cheep vinyl to practice with first though 

Yer, it isn't too hard in theory, if i take the passenger seat off, replace the foam (Clarks Foam can make new high quality seats)and then use existing seats as pattern but the hardest part is finding a good quality leather... I am going to go to spotlight in the next few days and see what they have though :)

ge I herd that we do sewing down my way the real trick is to get a commercial sewing machine that can cope.

I will post some of the family hand work in the next few weeks. when the 49 get it new seats.

leather can get a bit exee of practice first  8) 8)      

• Administrators

on a more serious note it can cost as much as $600.+ per hide for leather. the in laws car has used 5 hide so far and he only half way there.    

Sounds like you need to be an outlaw to afford that kind of retrim :)

They can get it in though can't they? Anyways, I checked the link but didn't really look at it properly... I will shop around before i buy any :) Gotta practice first haha

Best to practice on some cheap material first, get the hang of it, then do the real deal. I have never known spotlight to have had leather, but maybe they could order it? Remember when the material is sewn, it is sewn inside-out so when it is put on the seat, the seems are on the inside, there are a few other tips I can give you, just hold ya horses  ;D

This could help a little - http://www.automedia.com/Upholstery_Restoration_and_Trends/res20050101ur/1

This is handy but not for zeds - http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0610_ford_mustang_car_seat_cover_install/index.html

Jane  8)

You rock. No other way to describe!

Yer, i know about doing the seam on the inside haha... Made that mistake before ::)

• 1 month later...

Well, today i went and bought some vinyl and took some of the headlining off, right now it's just taped on because i don't have the new foam but Tomorrow I'm going to get some foam cut out from Clark's... I will also buy some ply and make new door panels as my current ones are literally falling apart and no longer hold onto the door frame, the only thing holding them is the window winder and the arm rest :S... It's well worth it though, got a quote of 4.5k to have car done in cream leather... I will post results tomorrow when i finish the first part of headliner :)

• Administrators

It's well worth it though, got a quote of 4.5k to have car done in cream leather... I will post results tomorrow when i finish the first part of headliner :)

Only problem with cream leather is if you get it dirty. That and the fact that I'm not sure if it would suit the burgundy exterior paint job? How about a biscuit colour?