9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian C

Brian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 11:17 PM

Since replacing my the shocks on my 280ZX about a year ago
(w/ KYB replacement )...I've decided I also need to replace the original stock springs...since it's starting to sag a little too much ( more ) in the rear end especially..

Just after some advice on what & where to look for....I'm in Hawthorn, Vic 3122....

I don't really want to lower it, or change it too much from the stock appearance...though a little firmer wouldn't hurt...

BTW...here's a link to the shocks I have on it now : http://www.kyb.com.a...au/pages/36.htm

#2 sid280

sid280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:21 PM

Hi Brian

Lovells do Lowered, Standard Heavy Duty and Raised / Cargo springs for the rear of the 280zx so if you want to replace just the rears you could use the standard height ones. They only make lowered front springs though - 30-35mm lower. I'm not sure about Kings but I'm running their lowered springs are they are very firm, i'm hoping swapping to Lovells will make the ride nicer.

Eibach USA make some springs for the 280zx but they are once again lowered and will need to be imported from America (not Germany where Eibach is manufactured), and if your going to import springs you might as well import some Tokico Illuminas which have a very good reputation in the states as a reliable and quality setup.

Lovells or Kings springs will cost between $250-$350 a set of 4 depending on where you get them, Eibach's or Tokico's you should be willing to spend about $1000 to cover all customs and shipping costs. Otherwise, get some custom springs made up (Brooklyn spring works? Browns Springs?) - Not sure about the cost, we use Lovells at the workshop and they cost around $300 a pair for custom springs and take 4-6 weeks, this is an expensive option but is handy if your looking for a specific design.

Hope this helps :)

#3 Brian C

Brian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

yeah...maybey just Lovells on the rear might be what i need then...since that really where I ntice the main sagging...

Guess I';ll hunt around for availability, prices etc... thanks

#4 sid280

sid280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:50 AM

Hi Brian

I spoke to Lovells Springs on the phone today and they have standard height and raised front springs that will fit in the 280zx. They are in stock and I can offer a 35% discount on 240z, 260z and 280zx springs - or about $220 a set of 4, I also have my old standard springs sitting in the workshop if you want you can have them for free and see if they work for you.

Thanks
Sid280

#5 Brian C

Brian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:39 PM

COOL ! :D

Yeah...well...that sounds like a good deal either way...I guess what I'm trying to acheive ..more so than firming up the car, is getting the rear end to sit up a bit higher...as it looks like it's sagging a bit...especially with a full tanks of fuel...which i guess also means they are now a little too soft as well..... but they're probably softer than they used to be when standard 23 years ago too...

What do you think I should do in you opinion ??

Also, how much should i be looking at for the instalation of rear springs ???

#6 sid280

sid280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hi Brian

If you want to meet up in Essendon tonight I'll take you for a spin in my car which is 35mm lowered - and THEN decide if you want to have standard height or lowered springs... Installation will be between $50-$150 depending on where you take the car, our standard price is $100 a pair for installation however i do good deals for Z Drivers ;)

Basically, Rear springs installed, including the springs is $200, drive in drive out - and we'll do a full inspection on the vehicle...

Sid280 (1982 280zx with T-Tops, 17s and minor engine mods)

#7 Brian C

Brian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

well...that sounds like a good deal all up for sure... I have a gig tonight..over in the Nerthern suburbs...so can't make it tonight...and basically playing every night until monday...so maybe next week during the day I'll drop over....did you say you have a workshop or something..?

Where abouts are you exactly anyway...?

#8 sid280

sid280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

ARRR heheheh - As of last week i moved into a new place with my OWN mini workshop (Garage), but the workshop i was referring to is GT Suspension down in Flemington as this is where i spend my days working...

9376 0777 if you want to contact me at work.

#9 Brian C

Brian C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

cool...who should i ask for when i ring then... i'll probably call next week some time..

#10 sid280

sid280

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hi Brian, just ask for Sid.... or the guy with the 280zx...

Although the odds of me NOT answering the phone are pretty slim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users