• Please log in to reply
1276 replies to this topic

#21 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:29 AM

Don't get a wood steering wheel like that, and don't get 240Z embossed in the door panels either. Thats so tacky.

+1 with that.. Its like you have that there to remind yourself what car you are driving. Z logo on it's own may be just OK but anything else...ewww. Your original plan of just a re-trim in the original pattern is great.

#22 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • Tagline:John.O.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

OK,

Know I've been quiet for a while, and for good reason............

Apart from a heavy workload, a load of interstate travel in the next few weeks and having flu symptoms that I just cant shake, I've also been toiling away stripping "Roze" down to her bare bones, and as of today the only thing left on her is the rubber joiner between the fuel nozle and the tank, everything else is gone and she is now sitting on the rotiesse and secured just in case from the garage roof as well.

It's taken 5 days to strip her down and I'm happy to report that rust is at an absolute minimum mainly surface rust at some of the panel joins, nothing that wont clean up in the main, I think the biggest worry I had was when I went to take the guards off and was having kittens when I saw the amount of crap sitting along the top of the upper skirt rails and tucked up against the inner sill panel and guards, but once I brushed it all off and vaced away the rest I found there was nothing at all, my heart goes out to all of you who have major rust problems and are patching away, I count myself lucky to say the least.

Structually theres only some finishing to do to the right hand front apron behind the nose cone, I never totally finished it last time I had that small bingle in it some 16 years ago, also below the drivers seat theres a bit of impact damage and a 3 cm tare in the floor pan but thats an easy fix.

Next up, time to get it soda blasted, which should be in the next few weeks, looks like I have also tracked down a mobile guy who basically puts a tent up around the car and blasts away on site, going to see if I can get some pics of previous jobs they have done on site before commiting to an on site blast at home although it would save a lot of hauling around.

OK, so wanted to post pics of the car as it is and crucial panels and structures tonight but left the mini USB link at work, so will have to wait till tomorrow morning.

Cheers

John

#23 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

good to see another zed getting worked on that had been left to sit for a bit of R and R (my project has been in a sim state for the last 13 years)

You zed looks to be a S31 (Fairlady Z) from the under bonnet pics I have seen on this thread is that correct? ie chassis number is S31-xxxxx or a later RS30 aka 260z 2seater

#24 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

RS30 actually, well here are the pics, fair few of them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8498_.jpg
  • 8496_.jpg
  • 8494_.jpg
  • 8492_.jpg

#25 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:30 AM

Will post the rest in gallery

Cheers

John

#26 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:40 PM

Greetings from the ship of the Dammed (My garage in the Western Burbs)

OK, Im not dead, been lurking in the background and am happy to report that the lump of metal in my garage has now had all visible bolt, drilled, mounting holes in the engine bay mig welded, the entire bulkhead skirts etc smoothed over, and battery tray removed (In excellent condition, may sell as no rust and Im transplanting the battery to the rear of the car) and now ready for soda blasting which is booked in for next Tuesday.

I will be taking pics, its actually happening in the garage with a mobile service I came across.

All going well, I should have it primed, sealed, and ready to be back on all 4's within weeks.

Cheers

John

#27 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

Hi All

I was getting the feeling, actually still have it, that ppl on this site thought or are thinking I might be full of it as my last post didn't even get a comment, so the proof is in the pudding and here are a couple of pics of around 50 I took of the soda / sand blasted Zed, hope this regains some confidence out there that I'm not just here wasting band width.

Cheers

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 9995_.jpg

#28 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:47 PM

Pic #2

Attached Thumbnails

• 9997_.jpg

#29 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

Pic #3

Attached Thumbnails

• 9999_.jpg

#30 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:53 PM

Pic #4

Attached Thumbnails

• 10001_.jpg

#31 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

Pic #5

Worst of the rust, actually about all there was apart from a couple of pin hole sized ones, this is on the rear end of the passenger side rail.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10003_.jpg

#32 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

Pic #6

Attached Thumbnails

• 10005_.jpg

#33 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

If thats the worst of the rust, I'd be laughing!

#34 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Thats it Lurch, guess the 3 hail Mary's before he started blasting away must of helped.

#35 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Is the battery area as good as it looks? or has it been repaired before? can't quite tell from that angle. looking real good there..

#36 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

looking good. Were you happy with the soda blasting being done on site? Was there much mess when he finshed the job ?
By the way the rust inmy rail were far greater than that just ask Dr Z.   

#37 garvice

garvice

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9260.0.html

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

Pic #5

Worst of the rust, actually about all there was apart from a couple of pin hole sized ones, this is on the rear end of the passenger side rail.

See, smoking even gives cars cancer.
Looking good, does the soda blasting leave a layer on the car? It almost looks like it is primed in some of the photos.

#38 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the positive comments, feels good to get a reaction, its lonely at times working on a project by yourself and comments good bad or indifferent all have a positive effect by either re-enforcing what you are doing or making you re-examine the path you take before it's too late.

looking good. Were you happy with the soda blasting being done on site? Was there much mess when he finshed the job ?
By the way the rust in my rail were far greater than that just ask Dr Z.   

It was a combination of garnite and soda, basically the entire undercarriage, engine bay, inner area tail lamp panel inner skirts and tubs were done with garnite, then the 1/4's and roof where done with soda, the effect of the garnite leaves a surprisingly matt but minimal pitting effect, if you look at the left hand inner skirt you will notice what look like brown spots, this is where I used a scotchbrite wheel on a hand grinder to take off some material the blasting missed and they are actually very polished sections now but for some reason the reflection of the flash made them look brown. Through out the pics you will notice small dark specs, these are material residual the blasting missed however come off pretty easily with a bit of spot treatment with the scotch pad.

All I will be doing is cleaning up these areas then I will use a surface cleaner like prepsol to desolve any soda film left, after that I will re-seal all the panel seams with urethane beads and then apply something I came across that I even suprised myself with "Plasti-Dip"

Plasti Dip is the material you can buy in small quantities thats used to dip the handles of hand tools into to create a grip surface, great thing about it is it loves going straight onto bare metal, can be purchased in 10 litre cans and is sprayable, I intend sealing all the floor pan, inner skirts and tubs with it and the retailer reckons it will never chip, totally water proof the surface and soundproof the structure.

With the soda blasted panels, you will see that the left hand rear 1/4 is a lot more reflective, the guy who did the blasting recommended I go over it with sandpaper before applying anything on it and using a prep wash also, I ran the "Scotch brite" pad over it also and the surface is incredibly smooth and reflective, the swirl marks are minute and a result of the rotary action of the machine. The rest of the car still has a soda film over it and I will leave it as is until Im ready to prep the panels for refinishing as it offers a degree of moisture resistance.

As far as the mess, I ended up spending 2 days sweeping vacking and shoveling over 175 kg's of material that went through the blaster, if you attempt this try to do it outside.

PPL will probably notice that the rear of the inside hatch area is still in the cars original duco green color, I decided to stop the blasting at the centre floor bulkhead juncture as the paint here is in great original condition and Im just going to prep it with a thinners and scotch brite wash then finish the area off with the rest of the interior panels in a black enamel.

Is the battery area as good as it looks? or has it been repaired before? can't quite tell from that angle. looking real good there..

The battery area is as you see it, there are some small drill holes from drilling out the spot welds and some very minor rust pitting in the metal that I have to weld up, I saved the tray which is intact and in perfect condition, but as I said before the bay is going to be wireless, and the battery stored in the rear of the car out of site along with all the electrical components and fuse box then I will run looms through the sill panels up the insides of the hinge pillars and through the air galleries of the upper skirt re-enforcements to the the headlams and various connection points on the motor via the openings where the radiator plastic feed ducts were. Im not going to be using the side aircon dust any longer as Im installing a factory aircon set up I came across on here from one of the members.

Hopefully I will have the 50 odd pics up on a web page I will post the link to in this thread, I took pics of every rust prone area on the car so as when its done the insurance company can appreciate its condition prior to restoration and also in case I ever go to sell it, which I doubt will happen while Im around.

#39 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:58 AM

Hi All,

Have created a file of Flicker, and have loaded the first set of photo's showing the engine bay, will progresively upload pics during the process from start to end showing all progress until the car is turn key, the same will go with the other area specific files I upload in the next day or so.

Enjoy, and all comments good or bad welcome.

John

#40 Sirpent

Sirpent

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

Have loaded a few photo sets now onto flickr as follows

Full Body Shots

Engine Bay

Inner Floor

Undercarriage

And the rails which show the only rust repair section I needed to complete to the drivers side rear, and a clean up of the front rails by stitch welding fabricated skid plates to both the drivers side and passanger side rail halves between the jacking plates mid rails to the forwad ends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users