707 replies to this topic

#41 .

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Tagline:Past member

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:39 PM

at least when I bought my heap I only paid $600 and I knew what I was getting into :)

#42 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:09 PM

Well no updates this weekend of the car ... Nat had a show to go to, so could not see it. However, forever thinking of the best colour / finish combination, I got surfing and found this. Its a 1966 904 GTS, which you can see has a few similarities to that of the front of the 240Z. Perhaps this photo might have found its way into the design studio at Nissan all those years ago. Anyway, most porsche enthusiasts regard this as the most beautiful ever to leave the Stuttgart factory ... I really like the scheme, so any thoughts appreciated.

Until next week.

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 8559_.jpg

#43 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,387 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:32 AM

That is a beautiful car, although I'm not sue I like the Silver / Red Combo so much. It works on the image you showed but I wonder on a Z if it would really work? Kind of contrasting colours. Unless you go for the additional old school livery and style.

That 904 GTS reminds me of the Prince R380
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Prince_R380

#44 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Week 6...

Nat was around this weekend so I trundled down there thismorning to find much had been done in the past two weeks. Aside from being a little distracted by the immaculate DB6 that Nat was doing some mechanical work to, the FX holden that appeared to be getting the same 'lightening' treatment that my 240 is well used to, and a fiat 124 sport that he was re-doing the suspension on, we did have a moment to have a look at the hornet.

I summary, Nat has completed all chassis sections, floors, wheel arches, and has now progressed onto the passenger side sill section ... yes the part that we said only weeks ago was 'fine and will not need any repairs' !!!!!!!

Bottom line, we're sure the drivers side is fine (no really we are!!), so now we need to complete the sill, rain gutters, and then beaver panel. Tried to get a feel for where we're at, and Nat says about 80% done ... Panels are still not back from the bead blaster with the GTS Monaro, given the rain has slowed down their progress .. (they don't like to play with bare metal in this rain).

Enjoy the photos.... sorry for the quality ,,, camera battery just about dead and lighting pretty average!

Rgds

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 8667_.jpg
  • 8663_.jpg
  • 8665_.jpg
  • 8661_.jpg

#45 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

and more.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8673_.jpg
  • 8675_.jpg
  • 8671_.jpg
  • 8669_.jpg

#46 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:48 PM

Oh yes, we need to know if anyone makes new sills, and the rear section that the tail pipe goes through (under the rear bumper)?

Also .. if anyone has or knows where to get a beaver panel locally, that would be a nice find.

Cheers

Adam

#47 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

New sill panel pressing's are available from Rare Spares...

#48 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Week 7..

Today's update shows we're getting much closer to a completed body ... Nat bought sill panel pressings complete with end mouldings and is in the process of installing. These really look the part and will make for better panel fitment when doors come back from the blaster. We also have new doglegs that will go on.

Nat's been working on repairing the beaver panel section (see photos). As part of this work, they made up about 5 separate pieces and welded them all into the correct position, which looks really impressive. Also took a photo of the rear panels showing where they've peeled some of the paint off to check the body integrity. We scratched the paint back with a razor to see how many coats this car has actually had.. and counted 11 (its in the photo, albeit the quality is poor), including; base coat, original orange, four new orange coats, four separate undercoats, another red colour. The total thickness of the paint (see photo) is well in excess of 1mm (suspect in total there'd be over 20kg or excess paint yet to come off).

Only things to finish now include rain gutter sections, finish putting beaver panel back together, and complete fitting sills & doglegs. Once panels are back in the next week or so, we'll have a go at trial fitting them for alignment

Had a long chat about colours today. Nothing finalised here, surprise surprise!

Enjoy the photos.

Adam

#49 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Photos !

Attached Thumbnails

• 8833_.jpg
  • 8831_.jpg
  • 8829_.jpg
  • 8827_.jpg

#50 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:54 AM

More photos, including the box of removed items  :-[

Attached Thumbnails

• 8841_.jpg
  • 8839_.jpg
  • 8835_.jpg
  • 8837_.jpg

#51 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,602 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

Wow... it certinly was rusty underneith.

Where did the complete sill panels come from? AllZParts?
The RareSpares items don't come with the end pressings...

#52 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hi Lurch,

The complete sill pressings came from Warren at AllZspares, about $180 a side I think. Looking at the rare spares parts on their web site, they only make simple ones without the ends. These parts I bought are very detailed and have all the correct pressings on them.

As for the rust, NZeder and others have suggested the rust on my car is very similar as to the rust they had on their cars. Interestingly, on my car, aside from the beaver panel, the left side of the car is infinitely worse than the drivers, which is attributable no doubt to the battery leak, and potentially more water (ie gutters) on the passenger side. The good news with me using Nat is he is a fanatic and everything is being primed and rust proofed on the inside as he puts it back together, including chassis rails and box sections. The Hornet is sure to be rust free for a very very long time to come !!!

Cheers

#53 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

Been off work a few days, so yest I popped by unannounced to have a sticky beak at the hornet...

Nat's been busy this week, finalising; pass side sill (now installed and looking awesome), pass side rain gutter (now partially removed and replaced at rear), beaver panel is all completed and welded in, and has been working on the front cross member (repairing small bends and welding in new webbing on the bottom corners). In a word, she's coming on very well and I can truly see where my money is going ....

Car should have been going to the blasters either yesterday or today, depending on the truck. Will be fully stripped top, bottom, inside and out, and given the 11 coats of paint (circa 1.5-2mm thick all over) the car will be significantly lighter, and smaller ;). We'll be following the same process of painting on the stone guard beneath, with seam sealer and primer coat. I expect this process to take about a month, so will be unlikely to see many more posts from me for a while (might give me some time to start saving !!).

Anyway, without the camera yesterday I've attached about eight shots of some cars that really float my boat and are finalists on my painting inspiration. I guess the best way to describe my intentions with this build are to keep the 'old school' look, albeit to add some muscle in terms of motor (L),wheels, suspension, and interior.

Cheers

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 8962_.jpg
  • 8958_.jpg
  • 8956_.jpg

#54 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

A few more schemes.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8968_.jpg
  • 8966_.jpg
  • 8964_.jpg

#55 Add

Add

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

The silver that is used on JansS30Z rear is similar colour as my z and I love the colour (technically a shade) every time I look at it.

#56 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Popped by again yesterday as Nat had received my panels back from the blaster.

Bottom line, they were OK, but there were some traces of rust on some that by the time I was there were being repaired. The drivers side front wing has the hole in it for the indicator that is being filled in, and the pass side wing is a bit of a mess, with rust holes, mirror holes and frankly evidence of more hits than Elvis ... think we'll be buying one!

The front valance panel (under the front bumper that BRE style spoiler attaches to) is also pretty crappy, so if anyone has one that is in VGC let me know, else we'll be buying a new one of these as well.

Car is at the blasters, and Nat suggested might be back by as early as next weekend ... given we are now having a run on better weather. In the meantime, last night and today I have been cleaning and polishing the tail light lens (and they look AWESOME), and repairing the louvres for my bonnet (its a 260 bonnet).

For my lights, instead of going down the oven route, I bathed the whole units in very hot soapy and hit them on the outside with a good dish brush (hidden from my wife!!) and then in the inside I used a brush that has 360 degrees bristles and wire stem. This was extremely useful as with the stem being able to be bent, I could reach all areas. After this, I wet sanded both lens with 1200 wet and dry, before polishing with meguirs swirl remover... I had to use lots of elbow grease, but the end result is a light that frankly looks as new. I'll polish with a coat of car wax to add a bit of protection from the elements.

Only thing frustrating me now is the chrome strips on the lights... both are pretty pitted and I'd love to replace ... anybody have any ideas here??? Also, aside from breaking off the tiny clip in the middle, is there an easier way to remove this strip????

Here are few panels back from the shop ... Hopefully in a week, we're going to start to trial panel fit, sans paint!!! Thinking that if everything is OK with the drivers side sill (all my fingers and toes now double crossed) then we'll exchange that sill for the pass side guard.

Ciao

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 9010_.jpg
  • 9004_.jpg
  • 9006_.jpg
  • 9008_.jpg

#57 bluerat

bluerat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Howdy Adam,

I'm Popping over to Melbourne and picking up my new front valance from Alpha fibreglass next week, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

Hodgo.

#58 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Look forward to hearing about it Hodgo, and infact I am looking to buy one of the Alfa FG BRE style spoilers, so if I order one part, I may as well get two from the same place.

#59 acf321

acf321

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Week 8 ...

Progress on the Hornet is now less obvious as the body is still being blasted, and the panels are now largely completed and sitting in primer. Went by this morning to see that Nat had repaired the bonnet, front apron and drivers side front quarter panel by pulling all the dents out, filing and priming. They've even unpicked the fuel filler face panel off the hinge mechanism, cleaned, primed and re-welded the whole thing together to ensure there was no rust.

In a nutshell, we've ordered a new pass side front panel, and new pass side door skin. The door frame on the left door is pretty 'holy' as well, so this will be cut and repaired in the coming week. Next step is to get the body back and trial fit all the panels, and 'file finish' the  body, before disassembly spraying, and then final assembly.

I've added a few shots of the painted panels (yet to be hi-filled and filed). In summary, there really was not one panel that has not required some form of repair. Even the 'as New' rear hatch panel was full of bog on the top as it was dented... Again this has all been repaired and is straightened filed metal (did not get a shot of this, but again the work was amazing).

Here's what I took today.. and a few silver / grey cars that really do it for me. One with silver wheels, the other with black.
Still deciding on colour, but given i'm sticking with narrow body and small BRE front spoiler, I want to aim for that factory (albeit sleeper) look.

Rgds,

Adam

Attached Thumbnails

• 9117_.jpg
  • 9119_.jpg
  • 9115_.jpg
  • 9113_.jpg

#60 S30Mike

S30Mike

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Its coming along nice Adam, looks to be an excellent job thus far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users