432R OEM Colours

acf321

Guys,

On colours, my 240Z is original orange underneath and its been re-sprayed in a brighter tone.. The factory colour was called "orange 918" which is what I intend to go back to by way of an outside only re-paint (given under the carpets is all stock original).

My question however is, does anyone know whether the factory orange 432 and 432R's were the exact same colour?? If I do a 432 project, I want the exact same colour the factory used ... does anybody know if there was a difference b/t the standard car orange and the 432 orange??

Sorry for being pedantic ... its just me !!!

Cheers

Adam

I have a book at home that list the factory 432 colours - I will check when I get home from work. So will you be installing a S20 engine too :) - I would love one of those, but they cost a packet that is why I am just going with a RB26DE modern take on the same theme aka GTR engine in S30 body but sticking with the old non turbo

You're the man NZeder ... you can e-mail me at home on fairfax0@gmail.com if you want. My guess is its the same paint (I hope) but maybe with 35yrs of age and old acryllic it might look more 'poo' than orange after that long.

I actually (stupidly) made an enquiry about buying a OS Giken TC24-B1 ... but then stopped !! I will stick with the L24 the car has for now as it has flat tops / webbers / extractors / electric ignition etc ... and I'm heartened to know that the Group SC race cars that run stock blocks and carbs can make the right side of 260HP ... From my time in the Porsche club, I know a well made L24 can and often does beat 2.7 RS Carreras and 3.0 Carreras ...

Alternatively I was thinking about was buying a RB whatever and sticking webbers on it to make it look like a TC24 ... BUT ... the engine only gets done when i've completed the body and interior ...

Per chance Nzeder .... do you know what is the make and model of the seats Office Tomitaku car are? They appear to be very narrow bodied glass backed race seats and look just right in the cabin !

Adam

Im am prety sure the 918 orange is the same colour they used on the 432 (but if NZ could confirm would be great)

I am just about to paint my car back to that colour aswell.

I have thought about the RB weber option aswell got a rb30/25 combo that is I dont put in my racecar I could go the NA option with?

Ash

Ok if you want to know the original colour for the 432R not the standard run of the mill 432(like they are that run of the mill with under 500 made) then all 20 (approx number) that were sold to the public were all painted 918 - however some might have be repainted by the owners either when new (usually for sponsors as the 432R were after all a race car)

The 432R had the matt black glass bonnet (painted grey on the underside I believe) and the other differences I can go into if required but there is lots of info on the web (most of it is correct)

The 432 were offered in the same colour options as the standard Fairlady Z so they were

901 = Monte Carlo Silver

905 = Daytona Red

918 = Grand Prix Orange

919 = Yellow

920 = Gold (sometimes called Safari Gold)

904 = Grand Prix White

907 = Grand Prix Green

My 260z (which is also why it is getting a RB26DE = 2600cc aka 260z but 432 too :)) was originally the later Metallic Green aka 240 is the paint code. But it will be the non metallic 907 GP Green ie a 432 colour option and nice and old school. I have the paint already at the panelshop :)

I will take a look at the Japanese mag I have of the Office Tomitaku car and see if I can ID them for you.

Im doing a satin black bonnet with satin black flares and rear bre spoiler.

Just going with acrilic and painting it myself in the bcakyard :)

Ash

lol I am going to do a satin black bonnet also - in fact it is black already, but my flares will be 907 like the rest of the body work.

Thanks so much NZeder ... Sounds as though the 432R style look is coming to our streets !!

I've buckled to the pressure of that little man in the corner of my head ... and I'm going back to 918 Orange, vented front spoiler and rear spoiler (not exactly sure which one and from where??), old school buckets, satin black bonnet and grey wata's. 

NZeder have a look at those pics of those seats and let me know your thoughts ... they're glass backed buckets (colour coded to 918) with narrow shoulders (as opposed to these crazy looking things that appear to have wings on them these days). Really keen to know what they are or how to get a seat that is very very close.

Can't wait to see your ride ... sounds awsome .. must say the rb motor on carbs does have genuine appeal !

Car was supposed to arriver PRE easter ... now its next Tuesday..Damn !

Just to confirm what Mike said - all the 432Rs sold to the general public in Japan were painted in 918 'Grand Prix Orange' from the factory. They all had the satin black FRP bonnet, with the original unpainted matt gel-coat colour of slightly metallic gunmetal grey showing on the inside.

However, some 432Rs went straight from Hiratsuka to Nissan's works race team at Oppama in primer, and some too were sold direct to privateer racers with good factory connections. Not all of these cars were painted 918, and certainly the very first Oppama-built PZR race car was actually painted in 905 'Daytona Red' - as were at least three others that followed. At least two of the privateer / semi-works cars were painted in 920 'Safari Gold', and one of them was painted a non-Factory type metallic blue.

I made a conscious decision to have my 432R replica project 'shell painted in 920 Gold, just because I wanted it to look the same, but different. I felt that if I had gone for 918 it could be construed that I was making a 'fake' rather than just a replica - despite being quite up-front about what I was doing. Somewhere in the back of my mind I felt that I wanted to set it apart from the real PZRs as some kind of mark of respect to them and their owners - if you see what I mean. Difficult to explain properly, but I hope you get the gist.

The other factor being that I kind of love the Marmite/Vegemite love-it-or-hate-it reaction that the 920 Gold colour gets from the general public. I reckon something like 98% of the population absolutely hates it. It's a colour that certainly says 1969/70, and appears to be locked in that period. I do love 918, but I went with 920 regardless......... 

Well HS30-H .. this is fascinating .. so I'm guessing then that a genuine 'orange' 432 is 918 ,,, unless its been repainted at a later stage. Agree on the respect thing too .. I'm in a the porsche club too and they get VERY fussy about copy cats etc ... so totally understand .. So .. given you know all this stuff, can you confirm that the factory paint was acrylic? and for the $64,000 question .. what is the brand of paint manufacturer??? (yes ,, if you're gonna do, do it right!).

thanks again for this insightful commentary ,, greatly appreciated.

once more Q ... what does HS30-H stand for ?? Is this some insanely rare beast they built along with the 432R's ?

HS30-H = Fairlady 240zg aka the real McCoy. I have been lucky enough to have met Alan and his cars (yet to see the new one though ;)) Alan knows a lot about the history of these cars and the JDM models. If you visit classiczcars.com then have a look over the galleries for HS30-H you will see pics of Alan's cars (and many many more from different events in Japan) please respect these are his photos so I would seek his permission if you were link them here.

I am sure Alan will explain the HS30-H in more detail (if I am incorrect or more detail is required) but HS30-H is the internal name for the Fairlady 240zg, much like the Fairlady Z 432R was know as PS30SB vs the  Fairlady Z 432 which was just the PS30 (and this is the same code that was stamped on the chassis for both the standard 432 and the 432R much like the 240z and Fairlady 240z and Fairlady 240zg all shared the HS30 chassis code stamp) - this gets complex and takes a while to get your head around - some people just never get it or care for it. Me I like to know and try and get info as correct as I can.

One day I hope to own a 432 (I guess like any S30 fan) but I am sure by the time I have the $$ for one in the current market - it will not been the current market = more $$ will be required. So that is my goal and in the mean time I will have my custom take on it a DOHC power S30 that fits in my budget.

Thank NZeder ... I'm used to craving for a 911S/T... go to youtube and have a look at some of these completely INSANE machines ... they're like antique swiss clocks ... amazingly scarce and even more ridiculously exxy.. If you want a quick intro .. have a look on youtube at a vid called "Nurburgring Legends" The yellow car is what I mean and 500k Euros is a good price to start when thinking of buying one !! Ummm not sure sure my wife would understand me selling the house for a deposit !!! Think 900kg and 280ps.

Back to reality, Alan or Nzeder can either of you identify those race seats on the Office Tomitaku car? I've just been on his site and having another look ... I note the little black Corolla also appears to have a set as well.

Thanks again, you guys are a great help. 

These are the closest I can find

01_06.jpg

01_03.jpg

I like the look and they have the period styling they are custom made to order. However not sure if they would approved for any form of local motorsport but it would good if they were FIA approved. Might have to save some $$ for a set then :)

• Administrators

Just to confirm what Mike said - all the 432Rs sold to the general public in Japan were painted in 918 'Grand Prix Orange' from the factory. They all had the satin black FRP bonnet, with the original unpainted matt gel-coat colour of slightly metallic gunmetal grey showing on the inside.

However, some 432Rs went straight from Hiratsuka to Nissan's works race team at Oppama in primer, and some too were sold direct to privateer racers with good factory connections. Not all of these cars were painted 918, and certainly the very first Oppama-built PZR race car was actually painted in 905 'Daytona Red' - as were at least three others that followed. At least two of the privateer / semi-works cars were painted in 920 'Safari Gold', and one of them was painted a non-Factory type metallic blue.

I made a conscious decision to have my 432R replica project 'shell painted in 920 Gold, just because I wanted it to look the same, but different. I felt that if I had gone for 918 it could be construed that I was making a 'fake' rather than just a replica - despite being quite up-front about what I was doing. Somewhere in the back of my mind I felt that I wanted to set it apart from the real PZRs as some kind of mark of respect to them and their owners - if you see what I mean. Difficult to explain properly, but I hope you get the gist.

The other factor being that I kind of love the Marmite/Vegemite love-it-or-hate-it reaction that the 920 Gold colour gets from the general public. I reckon something like 98% of the population absolutely hates it. It's a colour that certainly says 1969/70, and appears to be locked in that period. I do love 918, but I went with 920 regardless.........  

Nice to have you around Alan. I'm glad you stopped by.

I'm still in Dublin and have been to London twice :). I've been meaning to get in contact with you, I sent you an email based on what you gave me through PM on Classiczcars.com not sure if you received it or not.

Long weekend is coming up, would love to get over to the UK but doubt I'll be able to get there on short notice. Would have been ideal for checking out the Zed.

• Administrators

These are the closest I can find

01_06.jpg

01_03.jpg

I like the look and they have the period styling they are custom made to order. However not sure if they would approved for any form of local motorsport but it would good if they were FIA approved. Might have to save some $$ for a set then :)

There awesome, I want a set :). My Recaro's are good but they are a bit wide for my liking in the Zed. These also look period correct :).

N-zeder ... good sluthing, I think it looks about the exact same mould from the rear shape of the bucket and the belt holes under the headrest. I think tomitaku's however are fabric coated.

You did not mention a brand or supplier in your note, do you have this information? ALso presume from your comment that these are currently available?

Many thanks again

Adam