Good to hear, cheers

#62 Graeme

Graeme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

here

What size are these wheels? and do you have any available?
I like the dish on the rears.
I think I NEED the same.
I am running flares.

#63 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:32 PM

What size are these wheels? and do you have any available?
I like the dish on the rears.
I think I NEED the same.
I am running flares.

Please read the whole thread.

How do the 17x9 and 9.5s go with filling out regular ZG flares Ben?

here

#64 bryan3976

bryan3976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

hi ben zed what is the largest and widest legal combination for a 260 z

#65 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Tagline:Ken & Mary suggest carbon

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

hi ben zed what is the largest and widest legal combination for a 260 z

Please ask RTA, DOT etc in your state if you care about what is legal, they will probably tell you 15x6.5 inch.
To be totally legal any decent wheel upgrade will need an engineering certificate.

#66 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:31 PM

Hi Ben,

You seem to be the guru on the wheels and suspension here, so quick question please before I lose motivation!

I have a 260z (77 model, so really a 280), standard struts, and want 8" rims. I put commodore brakes on the front and was able to remove a 5mm spacer I used to have to clear the current race 6.5" rims. I used to run a 225 on these rims with no fouling so I rekon a 225 should clear spring perch's.

I also have Performance (Ozzie brand) 7" rims on the car with a 225 tyre and they clear everything as well.

What would you recommend for best fit under standard guards and spring perch's, Note that I am happy to roll the guards, just not flare! I was gunning for 16x8 +4, but need to clear a 225 tyre, preferably without spacer as I race the car. Thoughts appreciated.

#67 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:05 PM

The 16x8s do fit without a spacer. You might need to hammer teh spring perch in a bit on 260Z or run a small spacer depending how much you are happy with clearing the spring perch by.

See fitment here:
http://forums.hybrid...x8/page__st__20

#68 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

The commodore brake discs are quite thick and so act like a small spacer in themselves, so it should be a good fit.

So going to convince myself and order them now, LOVE the stance these things give a zed!

#69 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

I ordered them on Tuesday afternoon and they were in Perth, at my door, by lunch time Friday, talk about amazing service from TNT. Sorry Otomoto, but shipping anything by truck across the country in 48 hours is still more impressive than having them ready for delivery 1 hour after payment is made, if not by much. But enough suspense, the pics we’ve all been waiting for:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome! Of course I had to take a couple of clearance shots whilst I was at it. The fronts clear by a significant amount to the struts, which was rather surprising. Please remember that I have the commodore brakes and the rotors have more negative offset than standard brakes (out from the centre of the car, or away from the suspension to make it clear), so these pics won’t be representative of standard discs even tho I am still running standard suspension. I suspect it will JUST clear with standard brakes otherwise you would likely need a 3-5mm spacer to get things to fit.

Posted Image

I did some jiggling around and measured 5 1/12th inches of backspace (12.91cm)from the mounting face of my rotors, so that would explain why the 8 inch rims fit so well (8” rims with a +4 offest = 10.56cm back space, but the outer edge of the rim sits a bit further in than the tyre mounting face), clearance is around 8-10mm to the strut and I’m not suspecting any surprises when I put some 225 tyres on the rims. The outside edge of the rim on the other hand, that will need some adjustment:

Posted Image

With the suspension at full droop on a jack you’re looking at a rim that sticks out about 15mm past the guard. Even tho the rim will come inwards as the suspension slack is taken up a good roll will be required to fit these under without rubbing. The guards don’t need flaring, but I suspect more than just a normal roll and more like a ‘buff’ of the guards will be required, however, it should still keep the good looking lines of the car without spoiling anything like a flare does in my opinion. I have a suspicion that the guard in this photo has actually been pushed IN at some stage of its life because the guard on the passenger side of the car has more clearance than it even tho I haven’t rolled anything on the car.

Of course, nothing like so much of an issue on the rear, the struts clear by miles

Posted Image

As well as not causing any issue with the suspension at all

Posted Image

#70 260DET

260DET

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Tagline:Tribal Elder

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Neat eh, those Rotas look way better than the Performance brand ones do. Eights are really the minimum for a race S30, the extra grip from wider tyres on wide rims, its a no brainer for anyone serious. Old mate has 10" on the back, he loves the exrtra grip which is really needed for the S30 to somewhat compensate for the old suspension design.

#71 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:44 AM

Cheers Rich,

Yeah 8" minimum is the only way to go for a race car. I was running 205's on a 6.5" rim so the extra grip should be phenomenal, plus the Rota's do look WAY better than the performance rims. For $1120 delivered there is NOTHING else around that competes with the Rota's from Otomoto. The only thing better looking in my opinion (Rota Grid's depending on car style) is a genuine Watanabe, but I got a quote for $3300 from the local (Perth, same as me so should be $0 shipping cost) distributor, almost 3 times the cost of the Rota's!!!

To be honest tho, I was happy with the 205 tyre (and the 225 on the 7.5" rim) cause I didn't need to cut/pump/roll anything and was still ahead of the competition, but the competition has started running 225's on an 8" rim and have picked up about 1 second, so it's time for me to follow (instead of lead!) and go to a wider rim. I'm sure the result will be well worth the effort!

#72 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Ben (and others with 16x8s)
looking back thru all the 1000's of postings, I still cant find a clear answer if 16x8 Rbs will be "ok" all around on a 240z with factory suspension (51mm tubes) & standard spring perches...Im guessing 0 offset could work ? ...looking at Whitties fronts on his 260z confussed me even more..
Even over at hybridZ I cant seem to find a clear answer  :'(
Is it do-able on all 4 corners ?
cheers

#73 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Hi Chris,

My understanding is that the 240z is not so much of an issue as the 260/280 because the front spring perch's are at a higher point up the strut so do not cause a fouling issue with the rim, so it should fit fine.

The rear clears struts without an issue, so it would be the same on the 240z too. Worst come to worst you can just run a 5mm spacer, that is perfectly acceptable, it's when you start going 10mm+ that spacers are really not that great.

From my understanding you won't have an issue at all with these rims, and the slight + offset reduces how much roll you need on the guards to fit the tyres under.

If you still are not sure, find someone in Canberra who can lend you some wheels for you to do a fit test with, that would quell all doubts.

#74 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

Ben (and others with 16x8s)
looking back thru all the 1000's of postings, I still cant find a clear answer if 16x8 Rbs will be "ok" all around on a 240z with factory suspension (51mm tubes) & standard spring perches...Im guessing 0 offset could work ? ...looking at Whitties fronts on his 260z confussed me even more..
Even over at hybridZ I cant seem to find a clear answer  :'(
Is it do-able on all 4 corners ?
cheers

I'm sure I put photos of my 240Z up somewhere with these wheels fitted, which was with standard suspension at the time so yes, they are ok.

#75 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

That link for the Hybridz thread answers the question too.

Also it does look like you wheel arch is flattened in the middle. The guy in the states didnt have such a massive clearance problem in the back.

#76 Ledge

Ledge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Tagline:PMC RB28

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

Hi Ben
Do you have any of the 17x 9.5 Rota rb's available , I want a couple of spares for the rear

Regards

#77 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

We are not bringing in any more Rota wheels!
Sorry for those who were waiting, but we are tired of dealing with this company so we have cancelled our order.
All of our remaining stock is available to forum members at 20% off our normal retail, so for Zeds here is what we have:

Grid 16x8 +10 (white)      $795/set
RB 15x8 +4 (steel grey)    $635/set
RB 16x8 +4 (steel grey)    $795/set

PM me for freight costs or pick up at our shop.

The good news is we will soon be offering a different brand with lots of sizes to suit Zeds.
If you still want Rotas there is another importer in Queensland bringing them in now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 18931_d1dfd087300a2dfa19b6ca1034c8f0defd4587e1.jpg
  • 18933_303a21b565ebf7f3fb82bc70c31a6737cf2a538f.jpg
  • 18935_60b806f45fc0033a9bbaefa4943b434a2811ae23.jpg

#78 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:01 PM

And I only just bought mine too :(

This is a super great deal guys, these rims are seriously good looking stock!!

#79 BenZed

BenZed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:14 PM

And I only just bought mine too :(

Sorry about that, only made the decision today. Remind me next time you buy something and I'll work out a discount for you.

#80 bryan3976

bryan3976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:09 PM

happy to hear your moveing on something wide 15s would be nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users