Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I might need a 'Gurney Bubble' the way I'm going Craigo :P

PGZ, I'm a Boilermaker/Welder by trade so I'll have no problem in re-engineering the floor mounts.
I wanted to install the cage myself to save a few thousand, as a 4130 molly cage tower to tower is around 6k...
I'll ring Brown Davis & see what they say - they may bend up the bars to suit.
I'd also have to clarify with CAMS about the legality of Tig welding it up myself...

As long as it all clears, I'll be happy.
Though I think I'll be looking for the narrowest 'winged' seat I can find, with side mounting capability.

lol, you lanky f*ck

Shut-up, you tubby bastard :P

#22 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

Why not look at building and certifying your own cage. If you use the specc'd materials and standard design template you just fill in the form and it is certified with no need for testing.

If you use a kit cage it must be bolt together as no welding can be done once it leaves the manufacturer.

I have attached the information pack on certifying a cage for you. Further info is on the CAMS web site.

#23 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

I'll ring Brown Davis & see what they say - they may bend up the bars to suit

Better option again - talk to Mark at Eastern Race Fabrication (0419 696 660).  Just a couple of streets away from Brown Davis (he's at 3/7 Malvern St in Bayswater), and will likely be happy to let you do some of the job yourself.  Have a talk to him and see what you can arrange - I'm sure he'll also be able to point you in the right direction in terms of what you need to do for certification etc. 

And for anyone who wants a cage built in their car, Mark's your man - priced very well (I think cheaper than Brown Davis), and the quality of work sh*ts all over Brown Davis's stuff.  Plus he's straight up - tells you at the start what its going to cost, and where the problems may come from.

#24 RaceBorn

RaceBorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Tagline:Amir

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Lurch,

Go see Joseph from Revolution Racegear in Auburn. He has a lot of seats in his showroom, so you can try them out and see what fits your body best, and what you'll find most comfortable. I have been dealing with him for around a year now, and he's very helpful.

As for the cage, I might be able to help. I was researching stuff for my car, and I will probably be buying a Cusco 5 point roll-cage (I couldn't believe they made them for the S30 chassis!). I had one in my old car, and the quality was amazing. I will be likely getting it in the next 2-3 months. I am happy to help bring one for you as well if you are interested.

#25 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:27 PM

Hey RaceBorn, Lurch is in Melbourne, Auburn might be a bit far for him...

#26 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'd also have to clarify with CAMS about the legality of Tig welding it up myself...

No problem at all there, anyone can weld a cage in if their welding is of a quality standard.  You just have to get one of the deisgnated CAMS scruitineers/inspectors in your state to approve it BEFORE you paint it so they can have a good look at the welds.

As for the door bars, have a look at the pics of my car on the first page of my members projects thread.  If you angle the door bars down at the front like mine are then it's not too bad getting in and out of the car.  Or is it a registration thing in Vic that you can't have door bars in a road car?  The only problem is that you have to re-locate the inside door handles because this puts the bars fair in the way of them.

With the seat, in my car we chopped away the original mounts and bolted it to the floor with the mounts the seat came with so the bottom of the seat is almost touching the floorpan.  This was the only way I could fit properly and I'm only about 6'1".  The problem is that the top of your helmet is supposed to be lower than the hoop of the cage.

If you use a kit cage it must be bolt together as no welding can be done once it leaves the manufacturer.

Not to sure about that.  What do you call a kit?  There are race cars all over Australia with CAMS approved Bond cages that people have welded in themselves.............including mine.  They just come with the bars pre-bent from the correct steel and you have to cut them to size and weld them in.

#27 RaceBorn

RaceBorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Tagline:Amir

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hey RaceBorn, Lurch is in Melbourne, Auburn might be a bit far for him...

:-[  :-[ :-[

Sorry about that.

#28 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

With the rules for intrusion bars, it has something to do with the height of the bar next to the seat; It can't be (the intrusion bar) a certain distance higher than the seat. I can't remember how many mm it was...25 or 35mm higher than the highest point of the seat base (where your ass sits). I remember looking at all that info when I first installed a cage in my 260.

#29 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Is Criags cage CAMS apporved?

#30 PZG302

PZG302

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Not to sure about that.  What do you call a kit?  There are race cars all over Australia with CAMS approved Bond cages that people have welded in themselves.............including mine.  They just come with the bars pre-bent from the correct steel and you have to cut them to size and weld them in.

Scando, just quoting from the CAMS info, so maybe up to the individual inspector or if you are using the manufacturers' certification for the cage.

Also the rules for cages keep changing, my cage would never be legal now, but as it was legal when originally log booked it will always be legal in that particular car only.

#31 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Yes Scott my 8 point Cage is Cams approved. Has a little serial number plate welded onto it.

#32 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:19 PM

Scando, just quoting from the CAMS info, so maybe up to the individual inspector or if you are using the manufacturers' certification for the cage.

Ahh, that's the difference.  The Bond cages don't come with a certificate.  It's up to the installer to declare that the correct materials have been used.  For signing off purposes it's as if you've built the cage yourself, it's just the bars come pre-bent.

#33 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

By the way it's not just using the right materials. It's also the correct method of welding to the body. All my 8 points have seperate plates welded to the body as a platform for the Chrome Molly Tubing to be welded to. Obviously they wouldn't like the Tube welded directly to the tin/sheet metal frame. My advise is if you want it CAMS approved then get a certified business to instal it. But really unless you are doing the Targa Tasmania or equivilant it's probably not worth it if you have the knowledge and are prepared to do it your self and save lot's of bucks. That's my $10.00 worth.

#34 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

By the way it's not just using the right materials. It's also the correct method of welding to the body. All my 8 points have seperate plates welded to the body as a platform for the Chrome Molly Tubing to be welded to.

That's right, my cage also came with the flat pieces of metal to weld to the mounting points and make boxes out of to mount the front legs to.

#35 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:48 PM

Back on original topic for a minute, having done some measurements of my current race seat, and some pondering on the Sparco seat dimensions chart, I've decided that the Sparco Corsa looks like it would be a perfect fit for me (better than an Evo, most likely).  Only thing is, I'd still want to sit in one before I order it, and I haven't had the opportunity to do so yet (meaning no race cars have come in with one fitted  :P).... So if anyone sees one on display somewhere on the vaguely east side of Melbourne in their travels (Meridian Motorsport, Revolution, etc etc), I'd appreciate a heads up so I can head down and plonk my narrow ass in it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users