URGENT How to change to bigger MC 15/16 need write up urgent

Something you guys might find interesting.  I did the 1" Patrol master cylinder upgrade last week.  The cylinder I used was made by "Reliance Parts".  I think it might have been made wrong because the brake lines feed into the bottom.............so they bolt straight into a Z with no modifications to the lines.  Cool hey!

The part number is JB1419 same as the guys have listed above.

Scando,

nope, it was made right...the JB1419 1 inch master physically looks the same as a normal z Master, with the feeds at the bottom. The only difference is that the Front and Rear Circuits are reversed meaning youll need to bend your existing feed pipes a little. This has all been covered already earlier in the thread !

When you fitted the Master, did you remove the one way valved from the outlets ?

Drum brakes require slight residual line pressure.....the springs on the shoes try and pull the shoes back as far as they can. Without the Residual LIne Valve, you would basically have to pump a few times to get a pedal back.

Discs dont require this, as the seals in the calipers actaully pull the piston back a poofteenth when the pressure is released, and due to this being such a small amount, very little fluid displacement is required on the next application....

• 1 year later...

That is a yes and no answer - yes to one version and no to another. I can't recall which is which but one is not a straight bolt on, I can't recall which it is a Series I (79-82) or a Series II (82-83)

Apologies if I have made a newbie faux pas by reviving this thread (I just got the "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days" message);

- but my question is specific to this topic and it seemed appropriate to me.

I read right through this thread and a few others and did not find the answer as to which Series is the 'bolt-on' version.

Which one is it please "Series I (79-82) or a Series II (82-83)"?

Thanks and further apologies in advance as required

- Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - I am still looking to buy a 1979-1981 280ZX (15/16") brake master cylinder for my 240Z (1973).

As others have said - new ones only seem to be available from the US. I have done lots of searching on the web and Black Dragon seem to have the best price at US$139.

The only hesitation I have is that the bleed valves are on the right hand side of the cylinder (I assume they were the same on Australian 280ZX's?), which would make the bleed valves quite close to the inner guard.

Can someone with a 280ZX master cylinder in a 240Z or 260Z tell me if this is an issue when bleeding the cylinder?

Happy New Year

Ian

Thanks for the reply Ray - and a photo would be great if you don't mind.

By the way - did you remove or cut off the fluid level sensor wires fitted to the reservoir caps or swap them for 240Z/260Z caps?

I was thinking of buying new 240Z caps, assuming they fit.

I've done this mod, there are no clearance issues, one of them is a little harder to bleed. If you really want to you can remove the bleeders and put them on the other side with a some extra work. I just left them on the right side as I won't need to bleed it again. I also fitted my 240 reserviors and caps as they were in very good condition.