#1 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hey Guys and Girls!

After much dicking around with an engineer from wollongong (PM me to find out who), I ended up contacting Peter (mrp69) and asking about his engineer.

Apart from being a little late he turned up and got right into the business of checking my car, asking only the questions he needed to and generally being very quiet. After about 30 mins he said "hmmm arent you lucky of the age, you'll get away with the pod filter!" WHAT???? My other engineer was being a total prat about that, telling me I needed to fit an OEM airbox from some any make of vehicle. The only thing he picked in the engine bay was my 100% nasty BOV... No biggie, I have almost finished the pipe work to get rid of it.

Then he moved onto the wheels...
- He doesnt care that I have different stud patterns front to rear!
- Brake test is fine.
- Track and wheel size is fine.
- I have to remove the spacers (front) and the PCD converter plates from the rear... - this is going to be a headache.
- I will need to get my speedo recalibrated if I dont get my rolling diameter within 15mm of 590mm....
- Suspension is fine!

The only other thing he mentioned was that I will need to fit a retractable belt to the passenger side of the vehicle (already have one on the drivers).... Again, no biggie...

So just have to sort the wheels out (and therefore most likely the stud pattern) and I'm set!

So please if you have any engineering needs in Sydney contact:

Robert Elliot
VMC Engineering
0403 328 574
vmc_engineering@dodo.com.au

/happy rant

#2 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

A couple of questions if I may:

"Brake test is fine" - Could you elaborate a bit on this. Was this a visual and/or road performance examination?

Retractable seat belt - Was your car originally fitted with retractable belts? Are you required to have similar belts, ie. both fixed or both retractable? Are fixed belts no longer acceptable?

I bet you slept well last night!

I am happy for you to PM me the replies if you prefer or give me a contact number. Thanks

#3 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

A couple of questions if I may:

"Brake test is fine" - Could you elaborate a bit on this. Was this a visual and/or road performance examination?

Retractable seat belt - Was your car originally fitted with retractable belts? Are you required to have similar belts, ie. both fixed or both retractable? Are fixed belts no longer acceptable?

Brake Test - Robert has what I can only presume is a G force meter, pretty much the same as the one used in rego checks... So I passed the needed braking force.

Belts - Honestly, I am not a z expert nor even a student of the models and their festures, however I can only presume that a 73 would have come out with fixed belts...  He said that the fixed belt is fine, but due to the power increase I need a retracetable as a safety upgrade. My thoughts would have been a properly adjusted fixed belt is just as safe - but I didnt argue. I already have a retractable on the drivers side...

He also has a Db meter which he did my exhaust noise test with... Allowed 96db at 3/4 of peak power.... I acheived a lovely 95.4db at 4300rpm!!!!

#4 aegean

aegean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

The seat belt regulations appear to differ between states. As I understand it, the ADR regulations are the base upon which the individual states can form their own regulations i.e. a minimum level. In Queensland for example, you have to fit seat belts to a car if manufactured after 1960, whereas the ADR regulations, only state from 1969. Why we cannot have uniform regulations in a country less than the population of California is beyond me.

#5 mrp69

mrp69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Tagline:Peter

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

glad to hear all the good news

Robert will look after you top bloke good to work with

Peter

#6 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

Nice one, although I'm not sure why you thought you needed an engineers. You'd be the last guy to get pulled over with all these ricer cars on the roads. I suppose your area is worse than most though.

How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

#7 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

glad to hear all the good news

Robert will look after you top bloke good to work with

Peter

Indeed, he seems pretty straight down the line... Funny thing though, he said to me he doesnt care about a H pattern on the gearknob... Said you dont need one, SLRs factory had SLR written on their knob not the H pattern....

Nice one, although I'm not sure why you thought you needed an engineers. You'd be the last guy to get pulled over with all these ricer cars on the roads. I suppose your area is worse than most though.

How much was it if you don't mind me asking?

I wanted the engineers to be 100% certain that when I get pulled in for an RBT they dont red flag my car because its too far modified for a canary. Also, if I have a stack insurance wont cover me... Cops pull anything over they can. Though I havent been hassled in it yet, I dont want to be canaried then get pulled over all the time...

#8 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

Brake Test - Robert has what I can only presume is a G force meter, pretty much the same as the one used in rego checks... So I passed the needed braking force.

Technically called a decelerometer, but yes, it measures G forces under braking.  Usually they bung it on the floor, drive at a certain speed, than jump on the picks, and the scale is frozen at the highest reading it sees.

Belts - Honestly, I am not a z expert nor even a student of the models and their festures, however I can only presume that a 73 would have come out with fixed belts...  He said that the fixed belt is fine, but due to the power increase I need a retracetable as a safety upgrade. My thoughts would have been a properly adjusted fixed belt is just as safe - but I didnt argue. I already have a retractable on the drivers side...

Maybe his own personal thing, that he likes to see these higher powered cars have what to him is a better safety device.  As you say, no big deal anyway.  I do like your Freudian slip about "Z models and their festures" though!

Wish I knew of a similarly reasonable engineer in Melbourne... wouldn't mind getting the GTV engineered....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users