Flares and racing

Aaron Neubauer

Do bolt on ZG flares count as body modifications when it comes down to class or is it down to scrutineers at individual events and what they will tolerate?  I don't want to be putting them on and find out I can't enter Leyburn or get put in the open class when I know there is a deffinate yes/no answer.

Flares were not homologated here in Oz for any "production" style racing such as Group Sc Historics etc (along with triple mikunis, oil coolers or electronic ignition) . ???

As Lurch has suggested you will have to check the sup regs for the events and the CAMS manual

As the others have said it depends on what you want to do and what class you want to run.

If you want to run competitively for not a lot of dollars in hill climbs and so on, then there Leyburn and others will put you in classes depending on whether the car is log booked or not. If it is then it will run to the class it was built for, if not then will run in a generic sports car class based usually on capacity. In this case the flares won't be a problem.

If you want to go circuit racing under CAMS sanctions then you need to look closely at the category you want to race in. Best bang for your buck in Qld would be Group Sc in Historics, very strict on what's allowed and what's not. In Sc the flares are a no no as are most modifications, however the guys up here are pretty competitive and would be more than happy to help you out building the car right.

If you want to modify the car then build it for Group 2B or 2F sports cars if you want to keep the L series motor. If you want to go to RB or SR motors then you can run as a 2A car.

Downside with the freer categories is that it becomes expensive to play competitively in 2B or 2F, I don't care what anyone says, a Z built to 2B rules will be blown away by most of the modern 2B and some 2F cars running around today. Up side is that pretty much anything goes as a 2A car and about the only restrictions for a 2B car are L series engine, 5 speed Datsun box, standard suspension type, and 10 inch wide wheels.