54 replies to this topic

#41 Neuby

Neuby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Was the work needed to fit the offset bushes and the redrilling of the rotor the only work needed?  Everything else lines up?

If that's the case, I know the brakes I'm gunna use!

#42 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Machining work that has to be done is turning up on a lathe some ally "slugs" that have to be pressed into the mounting tabs of the calipers after you remove the threaded inserts, and be a real tight fit, machining the i.d of the discs to match the 260Z hub (which have to be used and NOT the 240Z hub) re-drill the disc to match the hub PCD (not to be confused with the wheel PCD of 114.3) and machining of the hub face where the disc is bolted to (I'll take a pic to make it crystal clear) approx 5mm. When all that is done, mount the disc to the hub, install it on the stub axle on the strut, fit caliper and mark the exact position on the caliper and drill holes into the caliper for mounting bolts. That can be seen on the above pics of my earlier post.

#43 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

Dimitri how come you had to use the 260 hub and not the 240 one?

#44 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

The 240Z hubs are a lot narrower than a 260 hub; its easier to remove material than add!

#45 mossy

mossy

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:02 PM

Ahh Gotcha

#46 Neuby

Neuby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

Found this neat little table, its part way down the page.  I found it when I was looking at a cheap upgrade to the S15.

Front disc brakes

I wonder if you could substitute some other Nissan brake calipers for the R33 GTST ones.

#47 Scando

Scando

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:35 PM

;)

Found this neat little table, its part way down the page.  I found it when I was looking at a cheap upgrade to the S15.

Front disc brakes

I wonder if you could substitute some other Nissan brake calipers for the R33 GTST ones.

Found out from the guys I get my brake pads from that Subaru use the same Sumitomo calliper with Subaru stamped on it instead of Nissan.  I guess that would explain why the rotors I used for my conversion are designed for a Subaru  ;D

#48 eddii

eddii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:23 PM

Just a question, has anyone looked at getting big brake upgrade from hoppers stoppers?
Sometime last year I got a quote from them for $1200 with a brand new set of calipers (i think theyre from a commodore) and disc brakes plus pads. these are ADR approved and completely legal for our cars.

Do you think its worth it?

#49 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

I think Steve Newing used to do that conversion and Craig (ZZZ8) has or had that on the front of his Zed; not 100% sure on that now though..

#50 MaygZ

MaygZ

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Website:http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,7841.0.html
  • Tagline:We all started somewhere. Where are you Lurch???

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Just a question, has anyone looked at getting big brake upgrade from hoppers stoppers?
Sometime last year I got a quote from them for $1200 with a brand new set of calipers (i think theyre from a commodore) and disc brakes plus pads. these are ADR approved and completely legal for our cars.

Do you think its worth it?

here's the link:

http://www.bluevista... brakes Pt2.pdf

Look great, but I reckon he should have gone to 16" rim rather than butcher the caliper to fit his 15's.  Hate to see what would happen f he had to have a balancing weight put on that rim.

#51 620Z

620Z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:48 AM

Yeah I think you are right Dimitri. Those style brakes look similar to mine. I think they are equivilent to VY Commodore brakes these days. Should tdo the job on a slightly hot Zed. But not really good enough for my car on the track. Hence I will, as usual re do another job and take the brakes to another level after I sort out a few other issues first.
Having said all that they have worked fine on the road for my car for the last 8 years or so.

#52 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

I did something sim to the Hopper Stopper kit on my last 240z. The common VT rotor and caliper trick worked well on a high performance road car for sure. Did not given them a go on the track as I sold the car before I put the car back on the track with these installed.

#53 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

Craig, I think the Porsche setup I had on my zed would be perfect for you... they were overkill for my zed but for yours would be great. They fit well within the 17's I had (about 5-10ishmm clearance caliper-rim). Get in contact with Chris Wood; he can make the hats for the Brembo discs and caliper brackets for the radial mounted Porsche 928S2 calipers ($430 each now from $750!!)

#54 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

I would encourage anyone who does not have the engineering expertise not to experiment with brakes. Buy and fit a proven kit, it's easier for roadworthiness inspections and insurance claims.

Buy a local kit or even the ArizonaZ front kit which is $789US... that's $852AUS right now. You will need the 260 front hubs and a 15/16" or bigger master cylinder but you will need that with any bigger brake setup. As I understand it (please check) they will fit under 15" rims.

Please, please, please... don't start on about dust seals. Use 'search' to review the countless arguments about them - Wilwoods are legal in Australia.

#55 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

You just started it.... :)  In A.C.T sometimes it even depends on who is inspecting it whether it gets passed (in regards to dust seals), but with the engineers cert and everything done properly, it shouldn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users