• Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

You also have to pay to use it...

#22 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

I've no problem paying for software, but I already looked into those forum software systems and there are limitations with that sort of system.

I will post some screen grabs of what I have done so far in terms of the new system. I think Craig / Sulio and Lurch will like the events system which automatically puts events on a calendar view and you can then click on the event on the date and it will take you to a full description of the event. I'm thinking of making it easy to also put a Google map in events so you can easily (Optionally insert a map).

I've also created a classifieds section and a front page slide show of the latest member rides to be featured on the site.

I'm thinking long-term we should migrate the forum and gallery into the new system as it will really make everything easy for everyone, but before we go live I'll definiately get user feedback on the new system and see if there is anything I haven't thought of.

Cheers,
Gavin.

#23 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:38 AM

Here is some screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6904_.jpg
  • 6906_.jpg

#24 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Nice Screenshots.

Just a thought, no idea if you can do it, but have just the title visible in the calendar and when you 'mouseover' it the details appear in a box. Might be a good way to keep the calendar neat?

Looks really good though mate.

#25 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:41 PM

yer both calendar and adds look very neat. An add secion like that would be very organised, almost like looking at a proffesional car sales website.

Sulio

#26 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

Nice Screenshots.

Just a thought, no idea if you can do it, but have just the title visible in the calendar and when you 'mouseover' it the details appear in a box. Might be a good way to keep the calendar neat?

Looks really good though mate.

I should be able to do that quite easily. Not sure about the Javascript style box over the top but will see what I can come up with.

yer both calendar and adds look very neat. An add secion like that would be very organised, almost like looking at a proffesional car sales website.

Sulio

Yeah its still not quite finished, but it should look as good as a professional site like carsales.com.au or ebay etc..

I tried to upload the new homepage and featured car sections but had a few problems with their sizes. Will try and get those up again soon.  Still lots of work to go, but slowly getting there.

#27 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:30 PM

Homepage mockup.

Still many changes to go here, but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6981_.jpg

#28 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Member rides list view of all the cars ever featured on the site. The page spans over a couple of pages.

Event reviews pages will look very similar etc..

Attached Thumbnails

• 6983_.jpg

#29 Michael

Michael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:17 PM

All looks real nice cool mate, Not really a wiz on all this stuff, but some i myself would like to see some sort of quick I dunno image flickthrough type thing with a members name and their Z? And click for there personal Gallery or Project jounal, I dunno,

"Flickthrough as in peoples display sort of pictures all thrown in one?

anyway, Whatever you decide is cool, Done a Awesome job so far mate keep it going !

Thanks mate - Mick

* Edit Just like the Featured Area in last pic, Except All Members Zed's Perhaps...

#30 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:51 PM

Would it be worth changing the format of a members profile so that you could easily link to their gallery images? Rather than having to go out and find a post they made to click view members gallery? Just a thought.

Also I use the Recent Unread Posts function at least 10 times a day (don't judge me I have to procrastinate somehow). And I use the rest of the other features regularly.

#31 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

All looks real nice cool mate, Not really a wiz on all this stuff, but some i myself would like to see some sort of quick I dunno image flickthrough type thing with a members name and their Z? And click for there personal Gallery or Project jounal, I dunno,

"Flickthrough as in peoples display sort of pictures all thrown in one?

anyway, Whatever you decide is cool, Done a Awesome job so far mate keep it going !

Thanks mate - Mick

* Edit Just like the Featured Area in last pic, Except All Members Zed's Perhaps...

Would it be worth changing the format of a members profile so that you could easily link to their gallery images? Rather than having to go out and find a post they made to click view members gallery? Just a thought.

Should be fairly straight forward to do both with the new system, by straight forward I mean possible, but it will take some time to theme and work out the CSS / XHTML.

Also I use the Recent Unread Posts function at least 10 times a day (don't judge me I have to procrastinate somehow). And I use the rest of the other features regularly.

Don't worry the new homepage will still have that. These mockups are by no means a finished example.

I spent the weekend importing all posts from the forum to the new system. I had a few issues along the way, it may not be possible to avoid password resets (i'm still trying to work that out) and I had trouble importing attached images and avatars which I know will annoy users so trying to resolve those two issues.

I'd say there's a fair few weeks worth of work to go (since I only work on it part time after work and stuff like that).

I'm thinking if and when we switch to the new platform (if the users rebel I'll have to revert to the old system). That we should change over to Auszcar.com and move away from Viczcar.com for good. I'll have to set up some redirects so old links still work - but yeah a fresh start on Auszcar.com will certainly alleviate some confusion I think and it certainly is a better domain name for all of Australia.

#32 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

The Classifieds section of the forums has been booming lately, with nearly every post being made not according to the guidelines you posted. It will be great when its mandatory for people to fill in certain things about their cars.

I think Auszcar.com is definitely the way to go. :) And also more stickers!

#33 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:13 AM

Steve,

Did I send you the stickers?

Sulio

#34 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:10 PM

Hey Sulio

Haven't received them yet.

Steve

#35 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

Just had a thought after signing on to a business website. Some places require that you enter a whole bunch of details in order to create your account. Maybe we should have the Location tab as something that is a compulsory field to create your account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users