chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

fellas
Im considering removing my lapsash belts and trying to install retractable belts from a 260...has anyone done this before ?
Im thinking Id have to mig weld a plate to the rear shock towers to enable me to attach the retractor housing..
any thoughts or pics would be appreciated.

#2 crowe

crowe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

Best option would be to use the standard plate that came with the 260z, on this modle they use four bolt holes to mount to the top of the strut tower and have a seatbelt guide (to stop seatbelt cutting you neck off) bolted to the side of the car straddled over the quarter window.

The ahrdest part of the conversion would be located the retractable mounting plates, the 260z have boldy welded bolts to locate the bracket

#3 nuclear_z

nuclear_z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'll take some photos of my setup.... I just use the standard bottom on the sill and the mount above the window. Be very careful about using non-factory mounts as you would need to have it engineered... THat being said, I think welding a plate to the top would be fine...

#4 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

nooo don't do it. not sure why you'd want to go from the comfortable lapsash to the eternally annoying retractable.

#5 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

I,m with George on this one............Lapsash are great......But dangerous..

#6 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

yeah but it's just your spine it's going to save. no biggy. you've got plenty more bones in your body. we're talking about comfort here.

just last year i was over in macedonia and when i entered a car i'd go for the seatbelt and they'd laugh at me :( no one wears them there. but then again none of their cars make more than 15hp.

#7 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:44 PM

sounds good Thomas..
haaar George, if you ever visit Greece or Italy helmets are an optional extra when riding 1100cc Suzukis !! it messes with the hair apparently. unbelievable.

#8 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

I think your plan to UPGRADE to a better set up is excellent, do it!!!

Lapsash versus inertia, there is no comparison!!!!

I agree with George and Mr240 , ever seen the face of an occupant of an old school car rear ended by a big 4X4, or a head on with a Cow on the road, that only had lapsash belts in it ???

Ive refurbed many early model cars in the day and this is ONE of the FIRST things I change

Nuclear _z's scenario of mounting will work just fine, you CANNOT use second hand belts from another car by law, but you can buy many and varied Aus Design compliant replacement kits in all sorts of colours ( if you want to colour code) from any good major Auto Spares outlet

Cheers

:)

#9 George

George

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

sadly, it doesn't matter what belt you have in the 240. they're thin tin cans. :( a 4x4 will crush it like a coke can.

#10 xa1973

xa1973

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

The 4X4 and the Cow are extreme cases Ive seen in outback WA, I consider, something that is more rather than something that is less, is always better.

Cheers

:)

#11 chinaelephants

chinaelephants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

also would be keen to see some photos and do this :)

#12 gilltech

gilltech

The 1000+ club

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

I have a very early 260 2-seat with the same fixed lap/sash belts as the 240, & have been told by a vehicle inspector that they are well below par safety-wise by today's standards. And one of his concerns is the steel buckle which sits against the user's guts just above the hip. Personally I'd like to upgrade to retractables. Do the later 260's with factory retractables have the same set-up for both 2+2s and 2-seaters, or are they different due to the longer body & rear seat access? If someone such as nuclear-z could post a photo of their bolt-in upgrade, or their set-up which works, that would be appreciated.

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

I said a couple of years ago that i'd make some drawings of the brakets in my later 260z and send them out for quote...i'd still be more than happy to, and have some free time atm i could do it in.

However i'm not sure if the retracting belt mechanism is availible from nissan.

also it would be helpful if someone could measure the angle of a 240z strut top bit and size of it to make sure it fits - this ofcourse is redundant is someone has put the 260z bracket into a 240z before without any issues?!? The bracket sits between the strut top and the side of the car, and i assume is held on by welded on nuts underneath which might be a pain to get to for installing in a 240z

#14 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:41 PM

Thread Resurrection :o! In my 74 2 seater I have the static belts fitted and want move to the inertia type, has anyone done this yet? 
Rev.

#15 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

my 260 2 seater has the inertia type. I will take photos tomorrow and post them unless some one beets me to it

#16 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

this is what mine has, Im not sure what it is from but it does the job.
I would loke to make a cover for them to tidy them up a bit though ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 11062_1ddaf6359e664c1be5621d0c831ba3d1571e4baf.jpg

#17 mtopxsecret6

mtopxsecret6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

that's off a two seater i believe. 260.. maybe 240 aswell?

#18 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

Rev my 240 has the inertia type belt if you want to have a close look at them at the next run if that is any help or if you are coming down to see a tall Friend of ours I could drive and meet.
regrads
Bruce

#19 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:55 AM

that's off a two seater i believe. 260.. maybe 240 aswell?

this is a  260z 2 seater. So this is original then?
The people i got the car from told me they where after market   

#20 PeterAllen

PeterAllen

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Tagline:Manana!

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

Something to consider when fitting retractable belts. The trigger mechanism is a pendulum (like the dice hanging from your rearview mirror!), when the 'g' force exceeds the retractor settings the pendulum moves and triggers the lock. That is why you often cannot pull the belt from the retractor when the car is parked on a slope.

If you intend to buy belts make sure the retractor has the correct mounting orientation, i.e. vertical or horizontal. Those designed for 'B' pillar mounting will not work on the strut tower.

Note: I'm recalling 1970s design here, so if anyone knows that the trigger design has changes please chime in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users