25 replies to this topic

#21 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:48 PM

Thanks Mike!!!!!  ;D

I'll be taking these pics to the suspension shop and working out part numbers for appropriate shocks and then cut once when I know the proper amount to remove.

#22 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:08 AM

Tom this might help before the visit the suspension shop ;)

http://www.koniracing.com/8611.cfm

Also FYI M51 x 1.5p 260z Gland Nut and those with 240z struts they are M48 x 1.5p

Attached Files

#23 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:26 PM

buy your inserts, shorter ones.
install them and mark your shock shaft at the bottom where the gland nut is. pull shock up to top, bottoming out or topping out on the gland nut.
mark again, measure the difference between marks.
remove this much from your strut tube, easy.
nat0

#24 Scottz

Scottz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 20 December 2010 - 01:06 PM

I just bought these inserts for a 260Z 2+2. Haven't fitted them yet and wont get a chance until Feb'11.
Tokico illumina BZ3125
Tokico illumina BZ3015
The warranty from Tokico is void if:
1.  The vehicle is lowered too far (between 25 to 45mm is okay for 'most' cars), or
2.  The shock or strut is modified (eg; aftermarket adjustable spring seats and collars).

Tokico Illumina's can handle spring rates up to about 325 lb's.
You can use the short stroke inserts in the OEM tubes, with spacer under them to take up the gap, or you can shorten the strut tubes.
I was advised to shorten the strut tube only 25mm and use a spacer to work out the rest. I guess that's good conservative advice. For users with adjustable coilovers, once you know exactly how far you want your ride dropped, then you could make the permanent mod. For users with fixed spring perch and shorter coils, you can cut and shut just as nat0 described.
It's users choice, but be careful ! Make a small change first, test it, and then decide. Or wait for someone else to figure it all out and follow along.  ;)

Scottz.

#25 Whittie

Whittie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

I was advised to shorten the strut tube only 25mm and use a spacer to work out the rest.

Scottz.

After doing some more thinking about this problem, this is exactly what I am going to do.

I only need a small amount of more travel, nothing drastic, and don't want to start running in to issues with the chassis rails bottoming out before the shocks hit the bump-stops!

I don't know what my spring rates are, or what shocks I have in the car currently, so I'm going to have to resort to taking the car to a suspension place once it's running again, getting all the height measurements made, spring rate's tested and selecting the adjustable shocks to match the springs I have. At the moment I believe I have Koni (red?) internally adjustable shocks. The proportining valve is totally busted, but I have the shocks wound to full resistence and they still are not hard enough, so I don't want to buy new shocks and run in to issue's of being on full adjustment, one way or the other, and still not have the ideal setting for the springs in the car.

#26 nat0_240_chevZ

nat0_240_chevZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 11:39 AM

i know a member here whom has spacers..........
contact him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users