• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

x2 on cleaning the underside.
take your time while doing the bushes, ideally you would want to get the suspension components cleaned and powdercoated before pushing your new bushes in.
But, a good quality enamel, or exoxy paint out of a rattle can will have it looking very nice quickly.

as for the main undercarriage, make sure you clean it well, get it up in the air and get onto it with a wire brush, loosten off anything under there, and give it a real good coating of POR15, or good quality sound deadener.
your frame rails look to be in awesome shape, and there doesnt seem to be any large cancerous areas, looks like a damn good example of the marque.

#42 Razz

Razz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

yeah, before i got there the guy had an inspection done, in vic ( dont know if that makes any difference) and that was the list i was given.  going in tomorrow afternoon for an inspection check.  meanwhile, i've got some of the parts i need on order,  tie rod ends, volt reg.  anywhere i can get this thing up in the air so i can scrub up underneath?  keen to give it a good proper doing.  also, where can i grab this por15 stuff? sounds like its the go

#43 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:33 PM

Razz Google POR-15 in Australia, Theres a few places all over oz you can buy it.
The best stuff I found you can use.

http://www.por15.com/

#44 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

The Vic roads/RTA inspection that was done, you may as well throw out, as youll have to get a "new" inspection in NSW to change to NSW plates..so you really dont "have" to be doing the repairs as noted on the victorian inspection report, wait till you get it re-inspected in NSW.
When I took mine to get regoed after having no rego for 5 years, I expected 10 pages of bits & pieces..it passed 1st attempt , the guy doing the inspection just happened to love zeds which may have helped  ;)
Hope you can get it ready for friday arvo !

#45 Razz

Razz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

i'll definitly be pushing to get it ready before then, don't you worry  ;D yeah, was just using the vic inspection as a guide, try and cover some of the possible problems i might run into, but i couldnt get any of the major parts to replace in time anyway  :P .  I'm hoping for a pass, but preparing to get knocked back for something.  once the check is passed i can walk straight in and get plates. got CTP all paid for and waiting, even fully comped on it already, just need the tick. 

#46 Razz

Razz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

well, i may as well just set the vic check on fire  :P all hoses, bushes, rod ends passed... i go knocked back on one brake light is a bit dim ( c-mon.....)  the battery isnt secured properly ( old battery holder is 1. too big for the new battery 2. not in the best of conditions to hold it there.  also found a rust hole in the floor, which is getting repaired wed for $100 ish, so friday looks like a go for me! 

when i first rocked up, i parked off to the side, and when i got called up to drive in, i was there for about a minute trying to start the thing!! mechanic is there just staring at me with a " are you serious??" look going on. i'm quietly begging the car to turn over, which it did, finally.  After that, its a first turn of the key and she's off and flying. 
also, are there any recommended mechanics around town that know carbies?  exaust smells like its running rich, not running very smoothly either.

#47 reverendzed

reverendzed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Tagline:I'm Dave & Yes! I'm a real Revhead..er Reverend...

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

Razz, if it's running the flat top carbs they have a habit of vaporizing fuel and not wanting to start! if you combine that with standard points ignition, you can end up with a car that doesn't always want to start.  See if you can get some 240 round top carbs, they are set and forget!
rev.

#48 chris240

chris240

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Tagline:When in doubt...mumble.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

this is the easiest question yet...
go & see Bruce at Perfomance Plus at 20 Endurance ave Queanbeyan..there is no better carby person in the whole State.

see I told you not to panic about the 1st RTA inspection  ;D

#49 Surly_Z

Surly_Z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

Yeah Bruce is great.
Who's doing your rust removal? I have bit in the floor as well which I'll eventually get around to removing.

#50 Razz

Razz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

sweet, i'll have to give this guy a ring, sounds like the go. 

i'm getting the work done by :
mark oliver
28 Wycombe st QBN
he's pretty friendly, and mate's reckon he's really good, so we'll see how it goes. could have alot more work coming his way  :P

#51 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:49 PM

Mark Oliver did the fibreglassing of my rear guards and Angelus knows him well, highly recommend him.

#52 Razz

Razz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

well, got the weld back today, can't even tell where the patch is  ;D  did the whole area with a rust guard,  very neat work.  Highly recommended.

rego tomorrow!!!

#53 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

very cool :P

#54 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:54 AM

Knew you wouldn't regret it.  good stuff.

#55 Dingo Dave

Dingo Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Tagline:I wanna bring to many cars back to life.

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Yeah mark and I have worked on a lot of cars together. He knows his stuff. Very talented and very Kean to see things done right. He has a little Mazda Ute. The thing was nice before. But now its increadable. Makes his own mirrors and figerglass door panels and roof linings. He had a part of roofing cave in on his veranda in the big storm a few years back. He was sitting there teaching me how to stretch it and hammer it to make it new again. And that stuff is thin as. The fj fx holden club recommend him as well as the torana club and a lot of kingswood guys. He has built his own kanga. and many many cars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users