33 replies to this topic

#21 MickyG

MickyG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

I drove past the Datsun Performance Centre in Elma Road about 2 weeks ago & there were still signs on the building but everything was closed up & no one answers their phone number.  I wasn't sure if it was just closed for Xmas but the place looked like it hadn't been opened for months.  Not too surprised to hear it's no longer a going concern.

I was wondering what happened to Datrally - thx for the heads up.

Pull it out, give it a wash & post some pics!

Yet more inappropriate comments from Lurch?  Or have I taken this out of context?

#22 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Bwahaha!
Micky, I meant you Zed ::)
If I wanted to see your 'wang' I would have PM'd you asking for a dinner date...

#23 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

83mm bore pistons can be found here also (Genuine Nissan stock are extremely rare)

Not sure of the part number, I will have to check on the box of genuine Nissan pistonsI have in the garage

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

#24 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Bwahaha!
Micky, I meant you Zed ::)
If I wanted to see your 'wang' I would have PM'd you asking for a dinner date...

The old Lurch is trying to get out "Yahoo" it was getting boring
Thanks MickyG for pulling the right strings, Keep it up

#25 MickyG

MickyG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

I just call it how I see it Pauly.  ;)

#26 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

whats the problem with 86mm flat top pistons, if you want to keep your L26 and make it go

#27 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

Nothing ........the question was asked if 83mm flat tops are available?

If you were to bore an L26 to 86mm you may as well save your $$ and built an L28....surely ??

#28 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 05:20 PM

get anything you want depends on whether or not you want it and then what your going to do with it once you have it

#29 MickyG

MickyG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

get anything you want depends on whether or not you want it and then what your going to do with it once you have it

Thanks for your thoughts dazzed.  Does this apply only to L26 pistons, or can I apply this to other aspects of my life?

I guess everyone has their own opinion regarding "appropriate" mods.  I'm happy to clean up the head, change cam, pistons, carbs etc. but boring out to fit larger pistons just isn't something I would do.  (Nor would I fit a V8, turbo, RB etc.  Nothing wrong with any of these alternatives, just not what I want to do with my Z.)  I'm sure my plans make someone restoring a Z wince.  (Although being purists they wouldn't be interested in a 260 as everything went downhill after the 240 anyway...)

One mod I can't decide on is a rear disc conversion.  From a performance perspective discs are the obvious choice, but for some reason this is a bridge too far for me & I don't think this is a mod I will complete.

Clearly the only way to resolve all these issues is to have multiple Zs; concours restoration, tarmac rally, highly modded street car, daily driver, circuit race & one of those black & white Japanese police cars with the whirly light.

If I wanted kW in a Z I'd go RB26DETT Z2 but reality frequently intrudes on my existence.  :)

#30 dazzed

dazzed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:20 AM

you may not be able to get standard pistons in it probably  done a squillion miles by the time its honed your on to the next size piston, whats the issue with boring 

#31 260Coupe

260Coupe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Daniel

Lindsday Drife once told me the the L26 bores are too thin to bore to 86mm as they start to flex ???......I also heard that from the Datrally guys many years ago

Is there any truth in this.......???

#32 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

Daniel

Lindsday Drife once told me the the L26 bores are too thin to bore to 86mm as they start to flex ???......I also heard that from the Datrally guys many years ago

Is there any truth in this.......???

I just got informed by Len that the Blocks of the L26 is identical to the L28, and even the L28 has a few mm left in them.

#33 Glen

Glen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

i think he is refering to the F54 block.

#34 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,604 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

L series actually ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users