L28e Engine weight???

OZ001

I guess you could get out the calculator and do a cost/benefit analysis! I reckon I could get about 150kg out of the 280zx in half an hour just using a 13mm spanner hehe!

You forgot one thing- most of us Aussies could afford to lose a few kg's after christmas! I know I could. That could result in a few tenths over the quarter.

I read an interesting article 'somewhere' about the influence of rotational mass (wheels, gearboxes, flywheels etc) over what I guess you could call 'static' mass (panels etc).

Very complicated but I beleive the end result is that rotational mass is the weight you want to reduce first. I'm sure someone else can correct/add to that....

:)

geez Mick your right about culling weight off a late model L28...Ive got an L28 on an engine stand, & in 8 mins I removed the entire air-con gear, It must have weighed 950kg !! I havent even started to attack the power steering gear.

By the way,  if anyone wants air-con gear for a 82 model L28, I'll swap it all for a Big Mac meal.

stripping all the stuff you don't need on a engine make a big difference. I have a RB25/26 engine on a engine stand and next to it is a L28 on the same type of engine stand. Both have been stripped of aircon, power steering pumps etc. But both have intake and exhaust manifolds still on (L28 the factory cast unit) and they both feel to be the same weight and look to droop the same amount on the stands - this was not the case when they were loaded. The RB looked much much heavier with all the kit on vs the L28 with the kit. But after removing all the pumps etc a large weight saving was made. Both are NA setups by the way.