L28e Engine weight???

OZ001

A lot... :-[ :-X

;D-

does anyone know the weight of the L28e engine out of a series 1 280zx??

the question is a bit open - do you want to know with acc ie alternator, intake, exhaust manifolds connected etc. I don't know the correct answer but I have a book at home that states the L28 ie 179kg with the 432z's S20 engine coming in a 199kg, however this does not state if this is a bare engine or loaded.

;D-the question is a bit open - do you want to know with acc ie alternator, intake, exhaust manifolds connected etc. I don't know the correct answer but I have a book at home that states the L28 ie 179kg with the 432z's S20 engine coming in a 199kg, however this does not state if this is a bare engine or loaded.

thanks for that, i just need to know because im choosing an engine to be put in the 280zx but i wanna keep the weight abit low.. mainly because its for hill climbs.. was thinking about the 1UZFE out of a soarer but engine is abit too heavy.. :P

thanks for that, i just need to know because im choosing an engine to be put in the 280zx but i wanna keep the weight abit low.. mainly because its for hill climbs.. was thinking about the 1UZFE out of a soarer but engine is abit too heavy..

If thats the motor you want to use, a mate is putting lexus v8 into his toyota sprinter, and he swears black and blue that the v8 will weigh only a tiny bit more than the iron blocked 4cyl 4AC motor thats in it currently.  I think he's deluded, but food for thought, since an l28 is also iron block and has two more cylinders, while the lexus v8 is all alloy....

Don't let the all alloy fool you - have to seen how much a SR20 comes in vs other iron block 4 cylinders? Example SR20DET = 149KG a CA18DET = 128KG. And a FJ20ET is only 166KG and that is iron so only a few KG more for an engine that is almost bullet proof.

So if you want to keep the weight down go for a turbo 4 cylinder these can get big power and torque when used with the right setup/parts etc.

Or go the new Nissan QR25DE only 121KG then put a turbo on that :) or turbo a L20B the weight savings in the 2 cylinder vs the L28 will make up for the extra weight in turbo, intercooler etc and a L20B comes in at 137KG but then a non turbo FJ20 is 144KG and that would be a better choice so I say SR20DET or FJ20ET

• Administrators

I want to see a 20B turbo in a 240z / 260z or 280zx :). Light weight and awesome performance.

Now that would be unique and I imagine a rotary weighs in alot less than a piston engine?

• Administrators

Really? I thought rotary engines were light weight? Since they are so small and didn't have all that valve train gear and conrods / pistons to worry about.

Yes but those cast iron plates add up + turbo's etc. I think a standard 13B non turbo is in at around 260lb = 118kg which is a lot given the size vs a L18 which comes in at the same weight. I think the newer 13B weigh more remember they have to use good high nickel iron for the end plates in a rota's so that makes the iron heavier. The atomic weight of Nickel is 61.3 (resent studies show this to be heavier than first thought of 58.7) and iron is 55.8

I did think about it at one point - but I was going to get a 4 rotor aka 26B in a 260z lol. However the cost of the custom shaft was $8000 then you need to get those housing both the cast end and sandwich plates then the alloy housing and high CR rotors, apex seals....so it would have been a $26-35 K engine but they sound great and the power ooh the power 500HP in NA form.

i got a 13bT out of S5 RX7 with gearbox. i can tell you it weighs heaps less than the RB20 without the turbo on it and no box using a manual winch.

once i get to the 13bT for a rebuild ill put it on scale before dismantling it.

rotaries have nice rev range but lack a bit in tourque at least feel wise. but S30 weighs lot less than RX4 and its pretty close to RX3.

ive seen a pic of S30 with a 20b engine one of jap sites.so its been done.prob easy.

As Zedevan said ill go SR20DET. heaps of tourque out of the little 4cyl. thats the most probable path ill go with my 240z unless i can grab a decent priced (CHEEEAP) RB26DETT.

Not that long ago there was an Autech RB26DE engine for sale here in NZ - if I did not have my RB25/26 hybrid engine from Japan I would have purchased it - $3999 NZD funny money would have got it and it had only done 73,000km here was the auction

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Nissan/Engines-drive-trains/auction-186522272.htm

and here is a pic of the engine I got from the seller - I have his email still as I am sure this might not have sold (small market)

post-104-144023508542_thumb.jpg

Found this:

http://www.funco-motorsports.com/motor_weights.htm

if link fails here are details

MOTOR WEIGHT COMPARISONS

Subaru 2.5L N/A 285lbs.  The motor mounts are 4 lbs

Subaru 2.5L intercooled turbo 320lbs.  The motor mounts are 4lbs.

Northstar V8 n/a 510lbs.  The motor mounts = 12 lbs

Northstar V8 twin turbo 565lbs.  The motor mounts = 12 lbs

LS1 V8 n/a 480lbs.  The motor mounts = 12 lbs

LS1 V8 twin turbo 520lbs. The motor mounts = 12 lbs

Honda 3.5L intercooled turbo 465lbs.

Honda 3.5L n/a 430lbs.

Mazda rotary 2 rotor, 285lbs

Mazda rotary 3 rotor, 480lbs

VW Stroker 2.3L N/A 260lbs. No radiator

VW Turbo 2.2L 285lbs.  No radiator, no intercooler

(Rarely does anyone use a VW motor on a new sandcar anymore, we only include this for comparison)

Radiator and cooling plumbing adds about 75 lbs for water cooled cars.

i did find the site that Lurch mentioned about LS1 same weight as LS1. i had troubles believing it. so i searched bit more and found the yank site above.the figures above speak for them selves.

true 13B has bit of plumbing but is so small. i got one and i still cant get over the size of the motor. its tiny. the 5spd gbox behind it is bigger and prob heavier.

man im on fire LOL  ;D

L28 complete with stock manifolds, SU's, and A/C compressor + 5 spd 523lbs

from this link at our friends at hybridZ

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=97320

copy pasted some info incase link fails in the future  :P

CA18DET with trans 389lb

SR20DET Complete

+ Five Speed 490lbs (source Sport Compact Car)

Datsun L6 Alone

+ Four Speed

toyota 1UZ-FE + R154 mission 486lbs

+ W58 mission 466lbs

RB25DET Alone

+ Five Speed 700 lb complete

RB26DETT Alone

+ Six Speed

L28 complete with stock manifolds, SU's, and A/C compressor + 5 spd 523lbs

7MGTE complete with turbo and A/C compressor 515 lb

w/ R154(125lbs alone) 640lb

2JZ-GTE Alone 594 lbs

+ Getrag Six Speed 746lbs

VH45 508 lbs

LS1 Alone

+ T56 Six Speed

Chevy L98 Alone 540 lbs with iron heads, 510 lbs with aluminum heads

+ 4+3 OD

Chevy LS1

459(automatic)

503(manual)

LT1/LT4

562 (automatic)

620 (manual)

LT1/LT4 Alone

562 (automatic)

620 (manual) ZF Six Speed

Chevy SB (All Iron) Alone 575 lbs

+ T56 Six Speed

Chevy SB (iron + Aluminum) 500 lbs

+ T56 Six Speed

Ford SB (All Iron) Alone 550 lbs ?

+ T56 Six Speed

Ford SB (iron + Aluminum) Alone 470 lbs?

+ T56 Six Speed

Chevy BB (All Iron) 685 lbs

+ T56 Six Speed

Chevy BB (iron + Aluminum) Alone 590 lbs

+ T56 Six Speed

Viper 8.0 L alone 716 lbs

+ T56 Six Speed

Viper 8.2 L alone 716 lbs?

+ T56 Six Speed

toyota 1UZ-FE + R154 mission 486lbs

+ W58 mission 466lbs

DAMN IT!  Was just about to post that one RBZ260.  Note that it shows a 1UZFE with gearbox as weighing less than the L28 with gearbox.

Theres another thread on HybridZ showing an L28 + box on scales weighing 539lbs, and somewhere about 400lbs seems to be the weight for motor alone....

man RB26Dett is one damn sexy motor.  :P get rid of it NZeder  ;D getting bad ideas and making bad decisions.  ;D

no that is a RB26DE no TT just NA all the way and 260ps factory it was build but Autech and was in a 4 door 4WD Auto only R32.

Look at that though a LS1 is the same weight as a 20B rota so they are heavy little pups really as the 20B is still not a large engine.

Also don't forget that most of these weights might be based on stock engine ie cast headers/exhaust manifolds as put on a header (or new turbo manifold if a turbo car) and you can save 10kg

no that is a RB26DE no TT just NA all the way and 260ps factory it was build but Autech and was in a 4 door 4WD Auto only R32.

i though someone just removed the manifolds and turbos nevertheless. if i ever go the RB26 path it will definetly be twin turbo or one huge hair drier to replace the twins.

Im a turbo nutter. i love my turbo lag, turbo/jet whine you know the (whoooooosh),the resulting shove in the seat and neck/head in the boot.  ;D.

on a very expensive note how nice would the new GTR engine sit in aS30? all 485hp of it. hmmm got to keep an eye on damaged car auctions  :P

• 2 weeks later...

So in the end (I'm not predicting this IS the end!) .....

All motors seem to have a consistant power/weight ratio?

At some stage I was going to ask the same question that the original thread poster did... but there doesn't really seem to be any point chasing down a super light engine as even those with alloy heads/blocks are still heavy muthas!  8)

hmmm light weight....turbo motorcycle engine but not in a car the weight of a S30....

Don't go too light either or the will upset the 52/48 balance too much.

Anybody got an idea on what the 370Z 3.7l V6 comes in at? Or forget the weight of the engine and lose weight in the car via other methods.

Item----------------Stock ------------- Fibre Glass--------------Carbon Fibre

Bonnet--------------17KG---------------4KG----------------------??

Bonnet hinges---------3KG each side------Pinned 0.5kg------------??

Front guards----------??-----------------??-----------------------??

Then strip of all the sound proofing, underseal and other unwanted items (much like Nissan did with the factor 432R) heater, extra wiring, backets not needed, replace the glass with lexan/PC etc and get the car under 1000kg with a 350kg drive train that will make up for the weight of the engine