14 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

the other day i bought a pair of e46 bmw xenon hid headlights to retro fit into some 7" reflectors i bought off ebay a while back, and i'd have to say so far i'm very happy with how its going. i was also concidering honda euro accord lights but due to ricers with the non hid lights in theirs they are mega expensive as people are will to pay like 2g...as its half of what honda charge!

i went to a bmw wrecker and got a pair of the connectors and turned on the lights while the sun was going down and i couldn't stop my eyes for hurting for 15minand i couldn't get the smile off my face for atleast half an hour, they are just so BRIGHT

on and off today i was attempting to pull the lights apart, but due to their price i didn't really want to break any part of it, as i'm hoping to sell what i dont use (most of it except for the expensive part) so i've posted up on some bmw sites for info on which was ground and positive and how to pull them apart as i really didnt want to blow them up. after searching on the net for awhile i came across someones write up on how they pulled them apart and just did it then...at 2am :D

i need my dads security screw bits to undo the projector but here is a pic of how the housing will look.

i was thinking of cutting into some headlight buckets and mounting the bmw whole unit basically halfway down it so the highbeams would be just behind the grill, and using headlight covers and molding the light in nicely so its like the ones on mazeratis etc, but the hinge would be in the way...i'm hoping the body doesn't get in the way of the beam as they are so far back...and also that they are in for the photoshoot this saturday...but i dont see that happening due to work

i'm going to use my driving lights for high beam...if i need them 8) and i'm hoping the cops dont know enough as i'm not going to have light cleaners and the autolevels on my car which i believe you are ment to have. i never knew they had auto leveling, coz if they do, how come you still get blinded when they go over bumps?

are the screws that are accessible at the front of the lights on our zeds for adjusting where they are pointing?

Attached Thumbnails

• 283_.jpg
  • 282_.jpg

#2 Rod F

Rod F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

Hi zedevan, nice project with the lights.

Yeah, there should be 2 screws on each side, one for horizontal, the other vertical. Check they haven't locked up or have stripped heads (like mine :) )

#3 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

my passenger side sealed beam light died on me which was more motivation to get these lights in, they are getting there as you can see. i didn't notice all the blue reflections till i took the photo, so when i have it apart next i think i'll paint the blue standoffs black.

also needa work out where and how to mount all the HID electronics, which i wont get to work on again till thursday. i just put these in so if cops pull me over i dont just have a hole there :D

thanks rob, once i had the lights out it was more obvious what everything did, the only issue being the screw to adjust it left and right is really rusted :roll:

Attached Thumbnails

• 286_.jpg

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:25 PM

well while people may be thinking this is has all been a waste of money, in my opinion its the best money i've spent on the car so far...which isn't much but still, the difference is amazing

still not completely finished, as atm some of the reflections are blinding, but i had some time to mount the ballast and other bits today and get the wiring done, and as they are only 35w (but draw like 15amps at the start) i can just use the orginal wiring, which was a pain to work out thanks to the PO's install of driving lights and not having a wiring diagram for the car, but got it working and didn't blow it up so i was happy :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 288_.jpg
  • 287_.jpg

#5 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:19 PM

Looks good. hmmm...it would be nice to be able to actually see past the 20m mark at night. So how much it all set you back Evan?

#6 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

yeah with these its basically as much as you dare to have it pointing up without blinding people to much, i have them pointed down so a car 2 lengths infront of me will be lucky if it hits their rear window, so hopefully they wont attract to my attention, bmw have some sensor mounted around the car so they level but i still dont know what they really do...

the lights off ebay were around the $60 mark, the connectors which i got of a wrecked bmw from a wrecker were $18 for the pair (ones slightly stuff from the accident), and then the expensive bit being the actual lights and ballast which were $590, which isn't cheap (but alot cheaper than buying them new, and i think its worth the extra over the HID kits) hopefully i can sell all the bits i didn't need for something (As i'm sure bosch charges alot for a replacement of their bit of plastic alone) hmm the screws may add up to $10, used a rubber ball as a grommet thing which was $5 hehe, then a fair few hours of labor

i think they are worth it, they add a nice modern touch to the car and improve visability HEAPS which is good for all the night driving i do on roads that dont have street lights, eventually i might look into making them bi-xenon lights, but i think it'd b a bit of work as you need a servo to lower/remove the peice of metal that blocks off half the light to make the ultimate high beams

#7 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

i just put both of the lgihts in the other night, and now one of them isn't turning on, it just keeps flashing, i sure hope i dont have to replace any of the bits as there goes more money, particually if u have to buy them new, or i guess i could wait for ages and hope to get some second hand, i swapped the globes so its not them, orginally i was hoping it was, but then after looking up the prices i'm hoping i'm glad its not, but then the other bits can prob only b worse :S

but hey when they were both working, the overlap made the parts where only one light was shinning look dull!

#8 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:52 PM

Both the lights are working again, i dont know why, i'm not complaining though, i called up wreckers to see if i could source some replacements of the electronic controller incase i'd blown one, but none of them had wrecked a 3 series with xenon lights, so went to bmw and the price of one of the controllers alone is 150% of the price i paid for both complete lights, so i think i got a pretty good deal!

So now i dont turn them on till i have the car revving at over 2000rpm so they are getting 12volts at startup, thanks to the alternater which i'm hoping to upgrade soon

speaking of which people at classiczcars have been talking about some braket to upgrade the 240z one to 280zx but they seem to say that the 260z one is about the same as the 280zx one so no point, is this true? and if so what upgrade would you recommend? my dad was saying something about the one in my car being a relay sort (i think) and should change it to blah blah blah

Incase the problem was water getting near the connectors, i've now made an inner fender cover bit (along with other ways to prevent water getting near them) out of a broken a3 folder i had sitting at home, it only just clears the wheel when they are on full lock, so i'm hoping it doesn't become an issue

i'll take some photos soon on a nice wide road to show the improvement, i reakon its nuts, i just wish i'd bought bi-xenons to a degree, as having such a sharp, low cut off can be kinda blinding/scary when going down a dip, but once i get my driving lights working again it shouldn't be as bad as i'll have them facing up nicely

Attached Thumbnails

• 306_.jpg

#9 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:04 PM

just some pics

Attached Thumbnails

• 309_.jpg
  • 308_.jpg
  • 307_.jpg

#10 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

I know were you come from with the need for proper headlights..

Country driving which I do a lot of at night time, i scare my girlfriend when i dip my high beams and your trying to find the white lines on the road to stay on the bloody thing. Especially with on coming traffic.!

They look real good. :P

#11 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:33 AM

Do your headlights just switch off for a second between going to high and low beam?

That's what mine does too. :roll:

#12 Steve

Steve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:42 PM

The whole electrical system is temperamental occasionally.. Sometimes turning off the high beams that will occur, but it has only happened to me 2 or 3 times.

I need to rise the headlights, which I have done, just need to keep fiddling with them to get them right. The zed has also had a previous accident to the front left, which makes it hard to simply take the LHD headlight out or even adjusting them.

Secondly the tacho would drop out while driving. this used to happen a lot especially on a hot day for some reason. I have changed the fuses, but i think the contacts have been bent too much, so its a delicate matter. So far it hasn?t happened again, but eventually may need a new fuse box.

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

hmmmm sounds like a weird issue gav! sure would b kinda scary...mine would go to high beams fine, just the driving lights were wired in properally, so they could only turn on if high beams were on, but since my car doesn't have high beams anymore it isn't activating the relay

when i was driving at night with my screen on it used to be hard for my eyes to adjust so i could see the road, so i'd drive with it off most of the time, but now the headlights are bright enough to not need to bother

just needing to upload these pics to post on hybridz, i dont have an ftp program atm...

Attached Thumbnails

• 312_.jpg
  • 311_.jpg

#14 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:39 PM

thought i should post pics of how they are held together, its really very easy, and i had them apart the other day to adjust the colour seperation at the cutoff, still could look nicer, i'd love to change to come accord euro projectors...

Attached Thumbnails

• 708_.jpg
  • 707_.jpg
  • 706_.jpg

#15 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:43 PM

more pics