162 replies to this topic

#21 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well long time no update :( not a lot to report really been busy at work - global recession has not hit us yet (however just been to the NZ sales conference and had one of the bean counters from Head Office explain to the sales guys, I was there upgrading their Notebook only time they are all together at one time, how they should be improving the terms of sales so we don't have to have such large delays before goods are paid for....long story short below)

Improve Sale payment one option.
Our sales are you purchase X stock for Y $$ you receive Z $$ rebate. This does encourage sales but does not improve the payment terms/delays after the sale. So the beanies have said we should move to the old setup we used to run that is.

You purchase X stock for Y $$ and you receive Z % discount when paid within 30-60 days (whatever term you want)

Anyway the idea is you get the $$ sooner = you don't have to borrow $$ to cover stocks valve before they are paid for = XXX savings PA on interest.

So back to the zed sort of  - on a side note the Targa team I pit crew for here in NZ recently did a weekend Targa with the car (BMW E36 Evo 3.2L = not much work for us pit crew, bleed brakes, check fuilds, clean screen and check tyre terms/remove stones and maybe change the pads if the driver/owner is not happy) and the new 6 speed sequential worked like a charm, once the leaking hydraulic release bearing was fixed only the day before. So were was I that's right we finished 3rd in our class.

Ok here is what I have done on the zed before work got busy and the targa.

I had this idea of not using the stock tension rods/springs on the bonnet hinges for the following reasons.
1. They were not working that well with my G-Nose hinges and the bonnet would fall down hard as they could not cope anymore
2. I did not want to use them due to number 1 above.
3. see number 2.
4. I wanted a solution that would work and work well.

So my idea was to use some gas struts/springs like most modern cars. This would fix my issue and hopefully give me the ability to place the bonnet in any location and have it stay put.

Now remember this is for a G-Nose hinge setup. I first took a look at the RX-8 boot struts/springs and they were a good length but after mounting this up it was found they did not have the correct force to hold the bonnet up. So I purchased some BA falcon replacement struts from evilbay for $15 AUD + shipping ie about $50 NZD all up. I mounted these up - again in prototype form ie bolted. Different angles and locations were tried. Some were chosen for easy of installation/removal of the bonnet however these locations put the struts at wrong angle resulting in too much force = pop the bonnet and it would open all the way and was hard to close.

So I currently have a setup that allows me to place the bonnet in any location and it holds good and true. Due to different prototype setups I now have a few holes to weld up on the radiator support panel and lower panel. Then I will mount up the brackets once and for all. The only issue is that I have to replace the lower bonnet bolt with a bolt that has a 10mm ball on the end for the strut to connect to = a little more of pain to get the bonnet on and off as this has a 13mm head were as the normal bolt is 12mm.

Anyway once all this is complete I will get some pics and post up here.

Now also while I was working on the car I took my spare RB25/26 engine combo (future rebuild project or sell of as parts....see how the $$ go) and installed these so I could check clearance etc. My aim was to ensure everything would clear fine.

Well I did find an issue - my long long trumpet were fowling on the clutch master cylinder so a new master cylinder was called for. So I check if my short series tilton MC would work.....no the line comes out of the end of the cylinder = too close to the trumpets - might work but will be very very close = might not get aircleaners on. So time to hit the interweb again and look for a suitable MC. I thought I have found one the MC from a Toyota AE86 this was straight up and down MC and the line exited from the right (when looking from the front of the car back at the firewall) so I purchased one of these from the local REPCO only to find out that the line would exit right were the accelerator mounting bracket was (remember I have a 260z 2 seater shell so this is like the 73+ shells and this welded on).....ahhh....should have stuck with the L6 after all......too much $$ to turn back now. So I got hold of a parts manual for the Fairlady Z 432 and took a look at how their setup was around this area.

Back to the internet this time looking at pictures of 432 and 432-R engine bays around the linkages and clutch areas. It was then I noticed that some looked to have a different MC one that was shorter. Looking looking researching and more researching resulted it was too hard to located the correct parts and would require firewall mods again ie removal of the welded on accelerator bracket for the bell crank, then I would have to see if the 432 parts were still available from Nissan which might not be a goer anyway (I have yet to check but I will anyway). So I was now back to looking for a clutch master cylinder that was short ie 80mm long on the firewall side without a side exit line connector.

So armed with my AE86 clutch cylinder I went and visited a clutch and brake shop, family owned business which have been helpful to others in the past with these type of issues. After the guy when out to the store room and back several times each time bring back something different or odd shaped he finally returned with a dusty box that contained a MC that was the same length as the AE86 unit but it had the line exiting on the top just behind a remote pipe connection for a remote located bottle. The only issue was it was not a straight up and down mounting. I thought who cares I will just make a plate to mount it - it would work and that is what I wanted. So I picked up this unit for $50 dust and all - it again was a Toyota unit and interweb research later told me from what model.

So I now have made up a new adaptor plate to mount this new clutch cylinder to the firewall and this will be spot welded on the car the next time the welder hits the body work (this weekend I hope) and I took my 4 year old son with me so he now has a hand in the car as he filed the sharp edges off the new clutch bracket for me.

As stated above I will get pics next time I visit the workshop. And maybe in the next week or two I will have news on the rear DIH (Drum in Hat) handbrake setup I have in development (again currently only a one off and if it works I might consider doing a small run if the number are there and others like the idea/design)

#22 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Hehehe, it's the fiddly stuff that takes the time to work through...
Stick at it Mike - it'll be awesome when it's done :)

#23 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:59 PM

I've heard a 1600 clutch master will fit; its a bit shorter in length compared to a zed one. If you can get one it may be worth a try.

#24 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

I've heard a 1600 clutch master will fit; its a bit shorter in length compared to a zed one. If you can get one it may be worth a try.

I will look into that one - I know the one I found that was the 432 unit looks to be substituted by most after-market suppliers with the zed unit as this is common on a number of Datsun from the 70's. But worth a look.

#25 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

Reading your thread Mike, is as exciting as doing it for real!

there's a way to save cash eh...

RX8 struts not grunty enough?
Are they what you have passed on to me earlier?

Cant remeber what they were off...

Great to see thread and project up and away again!

#26 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:36 PM

Reading your thread Mike, is as exciting as doing it for real!

there's a way to save cash eh...

RX8 struts not grunty enough?
Are they what you have passed on to me earlier?

Cant remeber what they were off...

Great to see thread and project up and away again!

No the RX8 ones I still have and they are short - nice and short but still long enough for almost full operation. The BA units are just slightly longer = hard to get on thats for sure but work just the way I want.

#27 Neuby

Neuby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Any progress on this beast NZeder?

#28 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Any progress on this beast NZeder?

No unfortunately I have been doing an extension to the house so painting and tiling is all I have been doing of late.

However I might take sometime of work so I can spend sometime on the car in the next few weeks.

#29 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Ok I have updated my website to a blog based site. This has resulted in all my old pics going missing. I will go back over this thread and replace them when time permits - I have/will update so thumbnails are there and when you click you will get the full pic :)

But update time I guess :)

I have told my brother (aka panelbeater) that I will not be purchasing any more toys to distract me from this project and as such I want the body home painted and ready for the big assemble by my birthday this year (August) as I want the car back on the road for summer. 13 years is long enough for it to be off the road with it sitting ideal (panel wise) for the last 7-8 years. So funds have been put a side and work has been happening :)

I am told that it will be panel finished in the next few weeks and be in the final primer, textured underneath and painted under the car bonnet :) then the final outer shell complete a few weeks after that. So 907 GP Green has been ordered and is sitting at the shop waiting for the spray gun to pass this onto the shell.

I hope to get out to the shed soon (I need to get power on that puppy so I can work at night) at finish up the engine details ie re-wiring the ECU, injectors, gauges etc.

Anyway enough sitting at the PC time to work on a the task/target list.

Check out the new site (still a work in progress only we live yesterday) and let me know what you think.

www.nzeder.net

Cheers
Mike

#30 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

Great to hear progress has been made! Will be awesome to see the colour on it when done and those flares..good news Mike!

#31 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:48 PM

Got a txt/sms message from my panelbeater aka older brother today. He tells me the car will have the finial primer on the whole car and the underneath and inside the car will be finished in the top coat by this time next week :)

So I plan to pop over before this happens and get some more pics of the progress on the body work :)

#32 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Top stuff Mike! ;D

#33 Neuby

Neuby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Nooooiiiice!  ;D

#34 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:37 PM

Ok popped into the shop today and took some pics - well it has taken them longer than they thought but it will be primed tomorrow. Anyway all the little bits have been tidied up and the project is getting closer to the end of it time in the panelshop (10 years in the bro's shop sitting in the back corner only get worked on over xmas/new years every 2 years or so)
Anyway here is some new pics for you.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#35 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Ok got a txt message from the brother, has asked me to coming into the shop tomorrow and to bring the camera :) so I assume all in primer and I hope they have painted some of the top coat on the car too.

#36 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:37 AM

Ooohhh...you must be covered in Goose pimples now!

#37 sexual_sushi

sexual_sushi

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Very exciting :D Post some pics asap

#38 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:30 PM

No top coat yet but close :) latest pics
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#39 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:28 PM

ALRIGHT! ;D

#40 Neuby

Neuby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:43 PM

Finally some painting progress has been made!  ::)

Just kidding!  Looking very schaaaaweet!

I think I want to marry those flares (I'm sure this is allowed in NZ....I kid I kid! :P), I don't know what the missus will say though......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users