162 replies to this topic

#1 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

Updated my website so pics when missing - now putting thumbnail pic back - click to see/download the full pic :)

Well having posted some info in the following thread - I thought I should start my own journal.

http://www.viczcar.c...pic,2377.0.html

So just to recap from above thread.
I purchased a RB25/26DE hybrid that I will be installing to my 260z 2 seater.
My project has been 10+ years in the making with the car removed off the road to cut out the rust from under the battery box. A number of project changes have occurred over this time, along with other zed purchases to shift my focus from time to time. So here are just some pics of the car from my site - from when the car was purchased to its current state - the summary view
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Ok so today I started to strip the engine so I can repaint the block. So here are some more pics/links to pics.

Anyway the DOHC engine is now home after sitting at the brothers workshop for a while. Infact sat in the garage at home for a long time too. I started to strip the engine so I can clean up the block and repaint it and get it ready for the DCOE throttle body install. So I found out that the factory 432's had their blocks painted a bright silver so I will paint my hybrid RB25/26DE (that is RB25 bottom end with RB26 head in normally aspirated config) the same. However looks like this will have to be custom as normal engine enamel in a car from REPCO and the like only come in Blue (two types, holden and ford), Red, Black and Orange.

So here is pic of the S20 engine in the original colour - you will notice the front sump setup so this is from a GTR Skyline.
Posted Image
Here is a pic of the engine bay of a 432z
Posted Image
Now some pics of the stripping of the engine getting ready for paint removal and then painting later over the break.
So first up is the engine with the wiring harness removed
Posted Image
Pic of the spider under the intake
Posted Image
Another pic of the plumbing
Posted Image
Plenum and standard RB26 TB's removed - I was surprised how light this plenum is as it does not look that light.
Posted Image
Another shot of the RB26 TB's
Posted Image
Engine shot without plenum and tb's installed you can see the spider
Posted Image
Close up of the spider
Posted Image
Spider and intake manifold removed from the engine
Posted Image
Pic of engine with the manifold/plenum/TB's removed
Posted Image

#3 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

Nice!!! There is some real nice body work there ;)

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Love the flares on the 260. Now I can see why you want it finished asap. Its going to be a killer zed!

#5 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Yes my brother is a good panel man just for me not fast  :-\ 13 years off the road is long enough - so it will be finished in the next 6 months.

I will be catching up with my bro on boxing day so I will be arranging for him to open the shop so I can go over and do some work during the break. I will take the engine back to his shop as he has some paint for the block now too ;D

I just need to make up my mind on the air cleaner/air box setup for the throttle bodies. The issue is these trumpets are large and the K&N filters I had (purchased for the old race car but never fitted them) will not work as the trumpets are too wide so the filter does not fit over. So then I was thinking of making up a clear air box out of Lexan (well like lexan but more fire resistant ie PC = PolyCarbonate) but this depends on how flash I want to get with under the engine bay - for now I just want to get the car back so I can get it assembled, certified and back on the road so I am now thinking about just getting a ITG Multi Carb Megaflow filter - see here for a pic
Posted Image
That way I can work on the PC airbox over time and get it right etc (if I go down that path the ITG might look fine)

What are your guys thoughts on this?

#6 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

I've seen several setups where there was no air box used, but rather they insulated the whole area underneath, top until the bonnet and all the way to the front of the engine bay to make one huge airbox; the bonnet being the lid. On the side of the airbox that's mounted on the carbs/throttle bodies was a rubber seal so when the bonnet is shut, its like a large airbox. I might have a pic somewhere to show in case I don't make any sense. I've thought of that myself but been told its alot of work.

#7 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

I know what you mean - I have seen a few race cars with that setup - a good idea but as you say a lot of work + the bonnet I have is a vented one so that is lid option gone right there. So I think I will just get a ITG unit in the New Year so I can get the car running as soon as I have it home - Feb I hope.

#8 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

I've seen several setups where there was no air box used, but rather they insulated the whole area underneath, top until the bonnet and all the way to the front of the engine bay to make one huge airbox; the bonnet being the lid. On the side of the airbox that's mounted on the carbs/throttle bodies was a rubber seal so when the bonnet is shut, its like a large airbox. I might have a pic somewhere to show in case I don't make any sense. I've thought of that myself but been told its alot of work.

So they still runa filter at the front with a pipe that goes to that box?

Sulio

Nzeder, thats a patient build. All done very nicely! :o Just thinking as I was looking through the pics how much time goes into something like that, how could you ever put a price on it. Labour of love you'd call it hey. Looking forward to seeing it painted up.

Sulio

#9 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

Well spend most of today using paint striper, wire brushes, razor blades and the odd screw driver to remove all of the old blue paint. And as expected some of the original RB Black paint was under there too.

So with all the blue removed and 95% of the original black (man that stuff was stuck with the 5% in the corners and tight spots so this does not look like it will ever move) the head and front cover etc were all masked up and a good few coats of acid etch primer, then silver was put down. Now I did not take my camera with me so a pic will have to wait until I go to collect the engine in a few days after some time to quire. But the colour turned out just like the S20 engine shown in this tread above. So now just to replicate that rocker cover colour - that might be harder.

Thinking I might also make up some stripes like the original S20 rocker cover too but have NISSAN and 2600 on the top.

Thoughts on the rocker cover idea?

#10 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:18 PM

Ok got some pics of the painted block for you to see :) let me know what you think

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Did some work on the intake manifold today - blocked of the original injector locations with small frost plugs and 2 holes I made by removing the spider from the vacuum block. See this pic for what I mean.
I will post pics of the completed intake tomorrow or the next day

Posted Image

#11 redrbzed

redrbzed

Advanced Member

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hi NZeder,
I'm curious as to why you want to move the injectors away from the port?
From what I understand the best position for the injector is aimed at the back of the intake valves.
If you move the injector away from the port you get more chance of wetting of the manifold and poorer driveability as a consequence.

#12 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Sort of, Sinisha.
In a NA engine situation, moving the injector further away from the port allows for better fuel attomisation, & hence more power.
However this does come at the cost of slightly poorer fuel consumption.
Ideally the injector should be situated at the beginning of the intake runner (trumpet).
Just have a look at a V8SC style injector setup.

The reason manufactures try to get the injector as close as possible to the valve is to promote smooth, fast throttle response & at the same time give good fuel economy. :)

#13 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:26 AM

As Lurch as already stated - for better fuel atomisation :) not that fussed about fuel consumption. My engine builder (did not build this one as I imported from Japan already built) told me the further away I can get it the better for this NA setup. This is why I made the adaptors out of 20mm plate. However given the room I have between the strut tower and the inlet I could have made these out of 50mm plate thus moving the injectors another 30mm further away - that might be a task for later if more HP is required (or just put the head on a RB30e bottom end for another 400cc)

Going to collect the engine and intake manifold later today so I will show you pics of intake with the injectors holes blocked off - I was going to weld these up but then thought about the frost plug idea - this way if I ever need or want to install injectors back near the head I can....maybe if I wanted 2 set-ups ie one for power with the injectors away and another for better fuel consumption using smaller injectors close up - or to add more fuel who know this is why I did not weld the holes so to keep the options open.

#14 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:43 PM

Here are pics of the inlet manifold and vacuum block with the frost plugs installed.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Well did not get to do much over the last few days :(  but I did get a change to install the cleaned up stock RB26 intake manifold
Posted Image

Then I attached the DCOE Adaptors plates
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So today I will be going down the road at lunch time to get some new M8 studs so I can install the DCOE throttle bodies in the next day or so. I am still not 100% sure what I will do with regards to the air cleaner/air box setup so I will just think about this some more.

#16 stevo_gj

stevo_gj

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • Tagline:Steve

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

Looks great man, good to see your still working on it.

#17 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

Looking good!  I might have to steal your idea of using welsh plugs in the injector holes too, since one of my rubber grommets shot out from behind the cable tie on the way home in the (finally running) Alfa yesterday.  LOUD backfires resulted!

#18 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

Looking good!  I might have to steal your idea of using welsh plugs in the injector holes too, since one of my rubber grommets shot out from behind the cable tie on the way home in the (finally running) Alfa yesterday.  LOUD backfires resulted!

by all means do - welding up the holes was an option but not during the xmas break so I just used welsh plugs (frost plugs - I guess I should have used the correct name :)) and in the end it turned out fine (would have been better if I had cut them down first - a job for RON as in later on). And I think a great idea if I don't say so myself.

#19 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

welding up the holes was an option but not during the xmas break so I just used welsh plugs (frost plugs - I guess I should have used the correct name Smiley) and in the end it turned out fine (would have been better if I had cut them down first - a job for RON as in later on). And I think a great idea if I don't say so myself.

I also contemplated welding up the holes, but mine are in the throttle bodies themselves, which are a long way upstream, so I'd like to leave the option open to refit the motorbike injectors later on for high rpm tuning.  Welsh plugs is still reversible (with some effort!), but much more secure than the grommets I currently have.  Unfortunately I fall right between two sizes of plug, going to have to get the bigger size and grind down by 1mm.  Bugger!  Stupid motorbikes using funky size injectors.

#20 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

I also contemplated welding up the holes, but mine are in the throttle bodies themselves, which are a long way upstream, so I'd like to leave the option open to refit the motorbike injectors later on for high rpm tuning.  Welsh plugs is still reversible (with some effort!), but much more secure than the grommets I currently have.  Unfortunately I fall right between two sizes of plug, going to have to get the bigger size and grind down by 1mm.  Bugger!  Stupid motorbikes using funky size injectors.

Well mine were larger too - they are a tight fit for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users