6 replies to this topic

#1 JP240z

JP240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:27 PM

I was just wondering where the throttle cable runs on a 240 fitted with twin SU roundtops,
as I think mine is fitted with a non-standard cable,
need to know where it goes between the drivers side foot wells and the bracket that attaches to linkage between carbs.
PS. I hope this thread is in the right section. :?
Thanks,
JP

#2 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi

There is no throttle cable (ie accelerator cable) it is all done via linkages. The rod connected to the accelarator pedal comes through the firewall to the left (engine side) of the brake booster.

If you mean choke cables , the two of them come through the firewall on the left side (passenger side of the transmission tunnel and just loop up to the carbies.

Let me know if you want a picture

Hope that helps

Warren

#3 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

I think jp240Z might be referring to the hand throttle used on very early 240Z's, which is also in the console near the choke lever. If that's the case I'm struggling to remember myself, but shouldn't be hard to work out from the holes in the firewall.

#4 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:48 AM

I think jp240Z might be referring to the hand throttle used on very early 240Z's, which is also in the console near the choke lever. If that's the case I'm struggling to remember myself, but shouldn't be hard to work out from the holes in the firewall.

I remember the hand throttle that was fitted to the early 240Z that I once owned went from the console to the accelerator pedal. As you pulled the cable the pedal moved closer to the floor - so no connection to the carbs directly. The issue I had with this setup is don't bend the cable (very stiff single spring steel) with your foot etc if you slip of the pedal as the result is a bent cable that when you next use the hand throttle makes it almost impossible to turn-off/push forward. Now that was fun, pull over with the car rev'n at 5500rpm shut it off quick, get of and head under the dash to disconnect the hand throttle so I could fix it up later when at home with more tools.

#5 thehelix112

thehelix112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

My choke cable was connected to.. err.. the choke?

Dave

#6 NZeder

NZeder

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

My choke cable was connected to.. err.. the choke?

Dave

Yep so was mine - the early 240z had two leavers on the console. 1 x choke and 1 x hand throttle. I believe the were removed after a few accidents. I heard of one in NZ where an Auto 240z was sitting at a set of lights - the wife went for the hand bag and it got caught on the hand throttle = result one Zed with go juice applied and a bid of panel damage to the 240z and the car in front :(
If I find a PIC showing the two side by side I will post it here

#7 JP240z

JP240z

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, had a good look in the book and realised that the throttle cable I had was for something completely different.
Pictures would be very helpful thanks Warren, as I might be able to see excatly what to look for in my six boxes of spares.
Sorry about the stuff around.
Thanks for your replies.

PROGRESS REPORT
> Carpets in.
> Vinil in.
> Glass, headlining, sunroof and throttle linkage still to be done.
> Car sounds nice.
Cheers,
Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users