Chartoo's new 2 seater project - An interesting start.

chartoo

Hi all Chartoo here. I bought myself a new project, a 260z 2 seater.  Looked pretty good. Minimum rust, rear spoiler, no engine which is good casue ive got one read to drop in and subtle z rear flares and smoothed in fronts.

dsc00486ss4.th.jpg

dsc00487sw3.th.jpg

dsc00485ux9.th.jpg

dsc00482kh7.th.jpg

Took a punt on the flares casue there was a lot of crap bog work done ontop of them. Looked ok from the inside of the cargo area no rust but it didnt pay off. There was a rust stain coming from near where the fuel filler and the flares meet plus extra bog. So i started digging and this is what i found  :(

dsc00496zz1.th.jpg

dsc00495sc0.th.jpg

dsc00489ae0.th.jpg

The d*&khead who installed the flares decided to fill them with bog to make them fit and then put a layer of expanding foam between the flare and the quarter. What does foam do...hold water.

dsc00492pz1.th.jpg

That is all the water that dripped put of the flare when i took it off. i will have to get the paint stripper out to really see the damage but what a start to the project eh?

Well... after a lot of sanding and using a LOT of paint stripper the end result is a pretty good after, it just looked bad.  Little of rust around the filler, like every zed, bit on the rear bumper indend and on the end of the sill. So all around really good considering.  ;D :D ;)

Really dont have the heart to look at the other side. :(

dsc00501bj5.th.jpg

dsc00500pb2.th.jpg

dsc00499gb9.th.jpg

dsc00498lf0.th.jpg

The idea of filling the seals and frames and chassis rails with expandable foam was introduced to me by a guy who built and drove rally cars. It is the cheepest and easyest way to stiffen up the whole car. The foam sets hard and in a tight and fully enclosed compartment will not move. Unfortunately the people who do it are doing it for this reason and not thinking of the future of the car.

We used foam in carbon/Kevlar race cars because not only can you shape it easily and use it to fill and create gaps and the like. But when you lay your Kevlar and then your carbon over the whole thing and then vacuum set it. It adds strength. Although on a car like that you don't need to worry about rust.

• 1 month later...

Well after i stripped all the rotten foam off the other side it ended up being perfect! under there. not one bit of rust.

p1010585se9.th.jpg

Well now that drama is out of the way i started doing all the little body mods i wanted. Feel a bit like a plastic surgeon. Butt needs some work. Clean up the eye brows. Remove this. Shave this. Fun times.

So i started with the butt. Cut out all the dimples, holes and mounting bracket sections to make a really smooth shaved arse. Took a long time eh butt i think it will be worth it in the end.

Starting

p1010636dp5.th.jpg

Done bar the grinding

p1010642ed9.th.jpg

Also filled in the side bumper bar spaces, rear badges and antenna holes.

p1010633ek0.th.jpg

After all that i started on her eyebrows or the drip rails. Cut off the drip rails a 6 inch section at a time and put a weld along the whole length. Actually easier than the bum. I think it makes thar car look more modern and makes it look a tad wider by making the roof look a tad shinner. but im told it can make it a little unpractical in winter. oh well it will look great.

p1010645tk6.th.jpg

p1010644qv1.th.jpg

p1010647vq4.th.jpg

p1010646xr5.th.jpg

After stripping the car Rust wise it was pretty good. Floor were perfect under all that sound deading. Chassis rails need a 10 inch section done on both sides at the rear but every car does. Bit behind the dash on the drivers side. Both sections under the front guards and a bit under the radiator. But i lot less work than the other zed i was mucking around on.

All got my wheels of Benzed today. Soo happy with them. They look a tad bronzey grey up closed but a couple steps back and they look chrome. Really nice. 17x9 -13 and 17x9.5 -19 Now i just have to brave enough to cut out the guards  :o

dsc00524gt7.th.jpg

Tried another experiment also. Saw this photo over at hybridz and the guy said it was a excel bumper. http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/994614788.html

Bought a cheap one today close fit but i think it is a failed experiment.

3k93m03o012513514991ffeuu3.th.jpg

dsc00528eu2.th.jpg

dsc00529nd5.th.jpg

Hahaha.... Oh Mr Chartoo, me thinks you are right on it, With that nice ricer maker front bar

You can cruise with me and all my homies any time bruz.

Back in my home land Hyundai build fully sick cars and the big boats as well

This picture off my bro's car Fully riced up

post-1279-144023511038_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ok so its been a long time since i updated this. Done a bit of welding but ive been really pushed for time. I, sadly, have to pause this project now  :( as im going to live overseas in thailand for a year  ;D. But i though i would show some more of the progress ive made.

Well i finshed shaved the bum and the drip rails and i was very happy with the results.

Next project was to weld up all the holes on the front bumper to smooth it out

dsc00070l.th.jpg

I also removed the grills from the front cowl. Goin for a more sleek modern aspects to some of the car while remaining some of the classic lines.

First i cut them out

dsc00046qdt.th.jpg

Then i shaped the metal and held them in with these welding clips- bloody fantastic clips, improved my final product out of site. less weld to remove and less panel mis-alignment

dsc00072vxu.th.jpg

Tack welded then full welded then grind

dsc00073lkn.th.jpg

dsc00074wwz.th.jpg

Next i did a bit of rust in the rear right hand flank

dsc00042d.th.jpg

Tacked

dsc00065q.th.jpg

Grinded and cleaned up

dsc00069i.th.jpg

Then i hit some rust up in the RH rear sill

dsc00045g.th.jpg

dsc00068q.th.jpg

Also cause i removed the side fuel filler i need to put the new one behind the number plate. There wasnt a flat section to mount my new filler to so i had to weld in some new metal for a base

dsc00064u.th.jpg

dsc00066fsn.th.jpg

Next i worked on fitting my flares. gave me a lot of trouble with the rears actually. I think these arent good versions of the zg's. They seem to have been trimmed a bit on each end making a square finish instead of a round finish. I dont mind that is just that it makes them shorter so i have to mount them i bit higher i found out hours later. but they look great in the end

dsc00055sry.th.jpg

dsc00054qgm.th.jpg

dsc00053tat.th.jpg

dsc00052jca.th.jpg

dsc00051t.th.jpg

Well with all this work it now means the back half of the car is nearly done.

dsc00076r.th.jpg

I also did some work on the front spoiler also. I got given an old broken one with some parts off a friend and decided to muck around with it.

I started with a broken version of this.

14102008.th.jpg

I fixed the breaks and filling the ducts. Then i chopped a section of the middle part of the spoiler out. This made  made the section under the bumper bigger to match the section above the bumper. i cut it inline with the bottem of the indicators similar to the MSA type 2 bumper..i think

Original

e3961.th.jpg

Photoshop

e39611.th.jpg

My attempt so far

dsc00038juy.th.jpg

Next i want to recess those indicators as they stick out so much or even...a well placed flexible LED.Then  i can delete the indicators as well to match the smoothed look of the rest of the body.

28289376585064855320564.th.jpg

Link to the hybridz page for those interested http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147045