• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • Tagline:The one and only Mr240z

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

;D Hey guys just picked up brand new Koni classic reds
    Front  86 1811
    Rear    86 1812

The question for you guys is. How do i get these to work, do i prime them and or just adjust them.
      Pretty sure koni's are still hydraulic oil fulled not gas, so does anyone have instructions on how to adjust
      them cause the instructions you get from koni is pretty vague. Or a web page on how to!!

Comments welcome  (and a big thanks in advance)              pauly 8)

#2 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

Curator of the 'Gavin Collection'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts
  • Tagline:In my Den of Rust & Sin

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Fully compress the insert, then turn. You should be able to feel the insert 'clicking' through 6 different settings. 6 Being the firmest.

#3 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Hey Lurch what would you recommand for street use .
Take note that i drive abit hard at times.
Which way is soft and firm ,clockwise and anticlockwise

Thanks mate

#4 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Fully compress the insert, then turn. You should be able to feel the insert 'clicking' through 6 different settings. 6 Being the firmest.

As Lurch said, except I don't think (IIRC) Koni Reds actually 'click', they just turn.  You should feel the two parts of the adjuster engage when you compress the shock and turn though.  Make sure you hold compressing pressure on the shock as you turn to keep the adjuster engaged.

Hey Lurch what would you recommand for street use .
Take note that i drive abit hard at times.
Which way is soft and firm ,clockwise and anticlockwis

With a Koni Red, even full hard is not THAT hard - I have them full hard in my Alfa, and they are fine for the road.  Looking at the rate the back wheels drop after they leave the ground when its on a hoist, I'd say its still a bit softer than a Koni Yellow set to about 1/3 from soft (this is only eyeballing my car against racecars we set up).  It is quite amusing when you lift a car up on a 2 post hoist and then look at the back wheels slowly lowering themselves down. 

As for which way is which, I THINK clockwise is firmer, but the easiest way to check is adjust fully one way, then pull the shock open, adjust fully the other way, and pull shock open again, see which way offers more resistance.  Koni Reds (and yellows I think) only really adjust rebound, or the rate at which the shock extends.  If you want to adjust bump seperately (compression speed), you need the racing inserts which are different again to Reds and Yellows.

If you like to drive hard, I'd suggest with Reds set them close to or at maximum.  Maybe start one turn back from full hard and see if you like it.

Note to anyone else reading - DON'T do this with yellow Konis - maximum is rock hard.  With those I'd start at about 1/4 and see how it goes.

#5 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

;D Thanks Zeddophile, Thats just the info i was looking for (what don,t you know about zeds)
    Once i fit the struts and take for test drive do i have to take them out again to re-adjust
    or can you do it with them still in the car.

Once again thanks heaps for your valueable information

p.s the strurt hats do they have 3 different settings

#6 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

i'd give toperformance a call (in vermont, vic) as they are the koni distributors for australia and are familiar with zeds - they put mine in for me, but can't remember what settings they said were used

#7 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

Thanks Zeddophile.
I was pushed with time & couldn't give a full description.

#8 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hey Lurch & Zeddphile, I,ve worked out the adjustment thanks
Question about the rebound they dont work like gas shock (push in and the come out quickly)
I push them down and they come out slowly is that right (first time koni user)

Thanks guys for taking me seriously  ;D not always the joker

p.s also got 2 koni sticker's with the shocks. Where would be the best place (on  the car)
to stick these for the Maximum Performance  ;)

Pauly  8)

#9 Lurch ™

Lurch ™

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

I push them down and they come out slowly is that right?

Yes.

p.s also got 2 koni sticker's with the shocks. Where would be the best place (on  the car)
Pauly  8)

Nowhere. Stickers on Zeds look Ghey. Unless they're Zed Club stickers :)

#10 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Question about the rebound they dont work like gas shock (push in and the come out quickly)

Koni Reds aren't straight gas shocks, they are hydraulic/gas shocks (have both oil and gas in them), so they extend slower than gas shocks due to the oil, but still extend on their own due to the gas in them.  From memory, Yellows are oil only, and basically don't extend by themselves at any sort of speed unless you pull them open.
This is what the adjustment has the most effect on - the speed at which the shock will extend.  To get a better feel for how much damping there is grab both ends of the shock and actually pull it open by hand.

Thanks Zeddophile, Thats just the info i was looking for (what don,t you know about zeds)
     Once i fit the struts and take for test drive do i have to take them out again to re-adjust
     or can you do it with them still in the car.

Unfortunately, yes you have to pull them out to adjust.  Worst thing about having struts - the fact that you have to pull the spring off every bloody time you want to get at a shock.  Thats why I'd suggest starting a bit back from maximum - better to end up on the soft side in damping rather than the hard side, especially if you don't have time to pull them back out and readjust.  Glad my Alfetta doesn't have struts, can do shock adjustment on car by undoing the bottom of the shock!

As for what I don't know about zeds?  Lots of things, and getting to be more every day since I had to dispose of mine.  Koni Red/Yellows, however, I have adjusted a lot of  ;D

to stick these for the Maximum Performance

On the front brake discs, for 2 reasons:
1.  You go faster when you can't stop.
2.  It'll look like you drive fast and brake hard when they catch on fire!

#11 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:13 PM

Thanks heaps professor Zeddophile for usefull info  ;D I,ll follow your's and Lurch's recommendations
and tell you guys how i go.

p.s Very interesting sticker placement instructions (I,ll give it a go) ;)

Attached Thumbnails

• 5379_.gif

#12 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:07 PM

i'd give toperformance a call (in vermont, vic) as they are the koni distributors for australia and are familiar with zeds - they put mine in for me, but can't remember what settings they said were used

Evan, I did'nt know you had Koni's installed. The yellows? What part numbers and how much they sting you? Adjustable from in the car on the strutt top?

Sulio

#13 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

just koni red's - so have to be removed to be adjusted. the car felt really well balanced with them on the settings they're on - so i think for now i'll just put the front strut tops in the rear to lower it that extra little bit and leave it for if i'm ever rolling in money lol - then go coilovers. Although i probably should of just gotten them to begin with.

#14 Mr240z

Mr240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

;D Thanks for all the comments boys. RDO today so the koni's went in .
    And WOW what a different they make considering the fronts where stuffed
    oil leaking out of them, lift them up and down with not much force at all (kyb gas)

;) So to all the guys thinking of an upgrade, I recommand Koni red  :D (street use in my case)

Once again thanks Auszcar and all there members for the info.

Pauly 8)

#15 Union76

Union76

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Tagline:Mike.

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Old post sorry to dig up - just confirming clockwise to harden on the red konis.

#16 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Tagline:No more sunroof's!

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

correct

#17 peter t

peter t

OLD RETIRED Z FART

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Tagline:75 260 2+2 RA60 Celica Hatch 74 260

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hey Lurch & Zeddphile, I,ve worked out the adjustment thanks

Thanks guys for taking me seriously  ;D not always the joker

Pauly  8)

Just about to fit NEW King springs and Koni reds out of parts car. After reading this I have found that when I fully compress shocks, that is where they stay. Does that mean they are stuffed or out of gas. Have figured out the adjustment from soft to hard but not sure why they stay all the way in when what I have read here they should slowly extend out. Help.

#18 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

correct.
I was running mine full-soft (anti clock), but with the potential for my new wheel/tyre combo to rub in the rear, I've wound them up to full hard (clock, about 2 turns).

#19 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:43 PM

Don't the reds only adjust rebound, where as yellows adjust both bump and rebound equally?

#20 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Tagline:No more sunroof's!

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hey Peter T, they are not necessarily stuffed. Years ago when I put them in my car, they did the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users