door trims

Huw

well...

I'm finishing the interior of my zed and have just stripped the door trims down only to see that the drivers side trim has a bloody great hole in bottom of the masonite sheet (no it's not for the door handle!).

I've reupholstered all the vinyl and padding etc today but need to fix the panel itself before reassembling it all...

does anyone know how to fix masonite or where i could get a new door trim?

cheers

Huw

on a similar note, has anyone tried to make their own rear box like motorsport auto sells? for 6x9 speakers, because I'd like to try and do a neater/no fuzzy speaker carpet job.

It's just for a basic setup, 6x9 in back and other speakers in or around door. nothing major.

advice, suggestions appreciated.

either gav or sulio have the speaker box done in there cars, i can't remember which one... had it...

but a few hours in the shed and a trip to bunnings for some materials will make it a decent job out of it... just try and make it nice and tight... when i made my last one in my Z, it wasn't tight and it just flung around everywhere when i went for a drive... .

nr240 has one thats made with bent plywood so it curves around nicely to miss the tyre well, i think i remember gav showing me it at the first cruise i went to and saying he would like to make one like that...so i'm thinking his car has the flat panel type of one.

my 260 has the speakers right at the very back of the side panels and when i was only using them the sound was crap as due to the seats and strut towers you could only hear sound from the one diagonally opposite you...so is mounting the speakers along the back much of an improvement in terms of this issue?

has anyone heard what mounting speakers on the sides of the centre console under the dash sounds like? i reakon it would sound weird...but there's not many other places to put them besides the doors...

You could buy some masonite and cut an exact fit for the hole and put some matting over the back and liquid nail it in place or just liquid nail it around the piece you cut. Since it is not visible I guess you only need to give some backing to the hole you have upholster over.

Warren

well, a carpenter/cabinet maker mate has offered to have a crack at them whilst making me a gear knob out of walnut :-). so hopefully can make some progress shortly.

was thinking of the patching with either masonite or fibreglass options, just a bit hard cause on slightly curved lower part. will see what my mate says when he see's them.

thanks for the help.

on another note, checked my booster for vacuum today, that was funny :-) another job for better brakes.

huw