#41 KatoKid

KatoKid

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Tagline:Split loyalties between the M and the Z

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Becoming quite the detective Gav. Well spotted!

#42 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

So did you buy this yet? Don't hold out on us! Enquiring minds want to know.

#43 wirysage

wirysage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update; I'm still working on trying to buy it off the old guy. Every year I go to him and say I want to buy it and we're basically down to the point that when he dies his wife will let me buy it haha!

I haven't been able to get close to it since I posted on the forum all those years ago it’s still sitting under the car cover under the carport.

I've still got my 1982 Celica as a daily driver too!

Edited by wirysage, 25 January 2016 - 07:51 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#44 PB260Z

PB260Z

Peter (PB)

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts
  • Tagline:Must stop buying new toys for the workshop.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

In the early posts there was a talk of it being $4,000 to $5,000. Assming the car has not deteriorated you could easiy double or triple that number in todays market. I wonder if the owner is aware of how prices have moved ?

Edited by PB260Z, 26 January 2016 - 06:15 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#45 G

G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:24 PM

Rather than say "I want to buy it", have you tried "how much will it cost for me to be able to move it into my garage?".

Either that, or wiggle cash under their nose. The lure of a keen buyer, a bunch of notes and a clean garage might make the wife get on his back!  :)

Edited by G, 25 January 2016 - 08:24 PM.

• gav240z likes this

#46 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update; I'm still working on trying to buy it off the old guy. Every year I go to him and say I want to buy it and we're basically down to the point that when he dies his wife will let me buy it haha!

I haven't been able to get close to it since I posted on the forum all those years ago it’s still sitting under the car cover under the carport.

I've still got my 1982 Celica as a daily driver too!

Hi mate, it was me who sent you a message on Facebook. Thanks for coming back to us mate, 240z values have been moving along lately. If you can get it sooner than later I would try that. Would be also great if you can determine if it's matching numbers car (check the engine number vs the ID plate in the engine bay to confirm?) However also check the number on the firewall.

HS30 XXXXXX, it would be good to find out what number she is. I'm guessing it's a 71 model. There is a couple of cars around the HS30 009XX range that were white with blue interior. It's not very common at all for our market from what I've seen of the early cars. So could add to it's value. If you do manage to buy it you wouldn't regret it. Especially if you kept it original.

Seller might also be more inclined to sell it if you promise to keep it as original as possible and return her to her former glory.

I'm also curious what number it is because it has the early AU market style fender mirrors. I thought cars after HS30 00500 didn't get those, but could be wrong.

#47 dat2kman

dat2kman

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,061 posts
  • Tagline:going sailing, see ya later!

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:50 PM

Buy it for 500
Spend 35000 on a full restoration, including mechanicals
Enjoy it, drove it, dye your grey hairs

Sell it for 50000

Winning!

If you dont have the 35000, to restore, let someone who does, buy it
You butcher it, thats one less in the World, and that jst increases the value of the unmolested cars that are left.

#48 wirysage

wirysage

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

My plan is to try and keep it with the original patina for a while. It'll be garaged of course but I think it'd be cool to get it running mechanically well whilst looking like a survivor that hasn't driven since 1989. I can't believe I've been chasing it this long; I found out about this when I was in year 11 high school.

Edited by wirysage, 27 January 2016 - 08:04 PM.

#49 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

My plan is to try and keep it with the original patina for a while. It'll be garaged of course but I think it'd be cool to get it running mechanically well whilst looking like a survivor that hasn't driven since 1989. I can't believe I've been chasing it this long; I found out about this when I was in year 11 high school.

I had a similar plan, but the best plans don't always go to plan. I am guessing you'll find rust in the floors, sills and possibly frame. Many of these cars rusted a couple of years after being bought new in 1970/71/72/73 etc.. Often patched up quite badly too.

#50 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

So just looking for my annual update on this thing, any progress? :D

• cracker and OdinZ like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users