404 replies to this topic

#41 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:12 PM

Hey Simon, good to see there wasn't too much of a problem with the box. At least you'll be back up and running fairly soon and fairly cheap too. Good luck.

Cost about $130 in the end, which is pretty good in my books.
Didn't take too long either, thanks to some help.

#42 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Wow, long time since my last update.
Ran the new gearbox at the MSCA Winton flawlessly.
The car was perfect all day, never missed a beat. Ran a bit hot, but to be expcted when theres 2 drivers. Towards the end of the day, it did 4 out of 5 consecutive sessions. The only reason I stopped is because the fuel was running out.
Out of a field of 12 or so in the 2.5-3.2L class I came 3rd, but in the NDSOC I won the 2-3L class with a time of 1min50.09seconds. Dad came last with 1min54.97
The following month, I took the car into the NDSOC monthly meeting. When I get close the car was running like crap. after the meeting the car was VERY hot and I limped into a servo to check it. There was NO water in it at all, toppped it up and limped home. The next weekend we decided to rip the head off, thinking it just needed a new head gasket. We found that inside the water jacket of the block there was a blockage around cylinder 5 which stopped all flow to cylinder6.

Engine rebuild time.
So it got stripped bare and all parts were cleaned up. A honing tool was purchased and the cylinders de glazed. Parts were bought with an upgrade on what the budget allowed which were mainlyig cam and flat tops. The head was attacked with a die grinder and many hours, mainly to clean up the casting of the ports. A mate works in NDT and he came around to crack test the head, which came up fine.
And thats pretty much were it stands now, ready to be assembled.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17450_105465f4dd19dfeda63af9b349cd733238ab3793.jpg
  • 17452_152184ffb21dd41bfc7cee6c4cd8e6d0e74f1edf.jpg

#43 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

Frankenstein
Engine rebuild stalled as a fellow forum Z'er mentioned that he had an L28 he no longer needed.
I pounced at the opportunity to get my baby going once more.
Only this engine had some goodies on it that I have always wanted to do.
*2mm oversize pistons from a Toyota (hence the name "Frankenstein", thanks Gareth for the name)
*.49" lift 74 deg cam
*Balanced bottom end

It came down from Brisvegas on a pallet that Ross had secured brilliantly, thanks mate  :)
It looked a bit worse for wear on the outside, but I had high hopes for the ineternals. Up on the engine stand it goes for inspection, only to realise it has a middle sump fitted. Oh well, time to look in my parts bin for Z bits. While the sump was off a visual was carried out and cheking it turned over freely was done, the right bits were put on. Then bolt ons were removed and taken for sandblasting to give her a a bit of make up to pretty her up. Once it was all painted and put together it was time to install it in the car as a complete assembly.
It took way longer to get in than expected, and I had to take the carbies off as they were hitting the strut tower. "Why are they so close?" oh well keep going.
Benny came over to help finish it off and when I told him that its weird that there wasn't enough room to get the carbies on. He laughed and asked if I had the engine mounts on the right side, I laughed and said "Of course they're on the right side...... Oh wait............. oh sh1t!"

Attached Thumbnails

• 17454_e351e90668e14934ac10d4eee48ee79b93837533.jpg

#44 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:18 PM

How does it go Simon? Is the third chapter frankestein goes to phillip island??  :P

#45 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:23 PM

So we fixed the engine mounts and fitted the carbies (now there was room) and radiator. All this was done between Ben laughing at me!
Next the fluids needed topping up, which means to remove the old oil filter and put on the new one....... Simple right?........ Wrong!
The new L28 doesn't have the mounts to change position of the filter because my car has a big power steering box, right where the oil filter is. So we had to undo the engine mount once more to get the filter off, then drive down to the auto parts store and get a matching oil filter, but shorter. Luckily the AU Falcon does just that. So homeward bound to get this baby fitted and running. Once the radiator was filled we were ready to fire her up, only now the rad is leaking water out of it. Bugger. i'll get a new one next week.
No matter, we'll keep an eye on it. Here is the first fire up

The timing was set after this video, which made a massive difference.
I took it out for a spin later and it went awsome, much more power than its ever had and it is responsive too. You can feel the cam, it revs soo quick and pulls all the way to 6,500RPM.
So I can't wait to get it back on the road properly now, DECA is coming up in a few weeks. I entered at the club meet and blew the engine on the way home a few months back. So I'm pretty amped right now.
Oh yeah, my wife and I are also expecting our 2nd baby mid Oct, she's obviously the preggo one in the pic below  ;D.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17460_ede953b128da92b77214c2a049792949857c790e.jpg
  • 17456_fc04ad3660d449a91379ef4ae2eb7a3f9fda8dfa.jpg
  • 17458_cb40f73618e8b59ad6fab2a7d158ec7dbadb4223.jpg

#46 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Hopefully will have a better idea next weekend Gareth, so far so good though *fingers crossed*

#47 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:48 PM

Excellent there'll be a heap of Z's. The backfire was pretty awsome in the video, it looked like it got your battery! Loved the 'it's alive' comment, very apropriate

#48 benny

benny

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

looking good man... well worth the effort..

#49 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:41 AM

The backfire was pretty awsome in the video, it looked like it got your battery!

It did, there is a brown mark on the battery.
It was before timing was set, in the video I was just turning the dizzy trying to get it to run better by ear. FAIL, it was soooo retarded.
Now running at 15° advance.

Also forgot to mention that when I dropped the car to take it for a test run. I put it in reverse to back out and nothing happened. It was in gear, but not engaging drive. I thought that because it was running a different flywheel that it may need the pivot adjusted in the bellhousing. But once Iit was jacked up you could see that the slave cylinder was already sticking out way too far, the pressure was released by bleeding system and all was good and happy in the world again.

I may not be able to come down to the Island to watch this wekend though Gareth. But have fun  :)

#50 AussieZed

AussieZed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hey mate,

Is that actually the motor that I sold you?? Gee you work fast. If it is that motor, legend has it that it came out of a 'very special' LHD 280z 2 seater imported by a US serviceman at Pine Gap, so it's found it's way to a very appropriate home....

.... and man do I LOVE the look of the motor .... I'm suffering serious carburettor-envy ... I'm going out to my car to stare grumpily at my SU's.

R.

#51 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hey mate,

Is that actually the motor that I sold you?? Gee you work fast. If it is that motor, legend has it that it came out of a 'very special' LHD 280z 2 seater imported by a US serviceman at Pine Gap, so it's found it's way to a very appropriate home....

.... and man do I LOVE the look of the motor .... I'm suffering serious carburettor-envy ... I'm going out to my car to stare grumpily at my SU's.

R.

Ummmm, nope. This came down from Brisbane from another member.

Thanks for the carby envy, I love em  ;D

#52 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

Got a replacement radiator from ASI in Laverton for $215, thats a good price. Geez I hope it works  ::)
The first pic is of it straight out of the box and sitting behinf rad support panel, sits about 70mm too hight due to side mounts hitting chassis rail. So out with the jigsaw and viola.
Perfect fit.
It needed 10mm spacer washers between the mounts and the rad support panel, which I turned up from brass beforehand. just in case (made a few sizes). Glad I did, as it wouldn't fit otherwise. The inlet and outlet line up perfectly and the core is close to 15mm thicker than factory one (45mm to 60mm,approx). Also had to cut the rad mount around the air holes in rad support panel.
Next I needed to fit the electric fan. The previous setup was a blow through as there isn't enough room between radiator and engine and it worked fine. So I thought I'd just do the same, but since this one is aluminium I needed to protect the soft metal with the mounting screws (allthread). Luckily we have heaps of Festo air line laying around at work and since I only needed about 200mm, found some scrap to use to protect the allthread, well er, radiator.
All hooked up and worked no worries.
Flushed out the cooling system, then topped her up and now she's ready to rock'n roll.

Attached Thumbnails

• 17770_8386238cf8eb5f85b5ad14c18a558e807c6bbaf9.jpg
  • 17764_a4ddf330d80ec0f131248c06a7109f415d38756f.jpg
  • 17766_422c178d352627d7f04fba90156313dc9d136a8d.jpg
  • 17768_e1462ac33ad9ed24dd2821ca76d7dd449f8e1dab.jpg

#53 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Took her out the next day for a test run and it was horrible. Wouldn't idle, ran rough, then ok, then rough again. Wouldn't rev over 5,000rpm and felt like it wasn't driving on all cylinders, thought that I had totally stuffed something up.  :'(
It was only when was playing with the jetting one night. That I removed the covers on the carbies only to find cylinder 5 main jet tube had come undone.  :o I changed the jets over, checked everything was tight and fired her up....... Woo Hoo!! Fixed the problem.
Took her out for a test run and she's sweeeeet.
Just need to change the oil and filter this weekend, play some more with the jets and I'm ready for DECA. I've lined up a trailer to tow it to Shep and back, just in case........

Anyone have any idea on what jets I should start at? I have a selection of jets to choose from.
Triple 40PHH Mikuni carbies
Ø88mm flat top pistons (2mm oversize, which makes it a 2.9L)
0.49 inch lift 74° cam
balanced bottom end
recurved and mechanical advance dizzy, set to 15° advance with timing light
Extractors 6-2-1 to 2.5" exhaust

#54 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

$200 for an alloy radiator..that's a bargain! My one owes me approx $600 with a fan though..but still, Davies Craig fans aren't that pricey! looks great Simon...well done.

#55 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Nice  8)  Out of interest what does the sheetmetal do infront of the radiator?

#56 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:40 AM

Nice  8)  Out of interest what does the sheetmetal do infront of the radiator?

There is nothing between the spoiler and the car, just fresh air. The aluminium sheetmetal is to force flow through the radiator.

#57 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

There is nothing between the spoiler and the car, just fresh air. The aluminium sheetmetal is to force flow through the radiator.

Ok, very well thought out, did you notice any difference with it? Do you know if 240/260's would beifit from this kind of handywork also?

#58 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

Ok, very well thought out, did you notice any difference with it? Do you know if 240/260's would beifit from this kind of handywork also?

Did make a difference.
I don't know what your spoiler set up looks like. But if its not connected, it should force the air through the radiator rather than flowing around another path.
Path of least resistance, your a plumber aren't you Gareth?

#59 Gareth. J.

Gareth. J.

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

Did make a difference.
I don't know what your spoiler set up looks like. But if its not connected, it should force the air through the radiator rather than flowing around another path.
Path of least resistance, your a plumber aren't you Gareth?

Mine does look similar, looks like I'll be doing that upgrade soon then. Yes plumber but my skills finish with pipes.... and stuff  :P

#60 luvemfast

luvemfast

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

Wow, been soo long since I did an update........
Might be due to having a baby in November  ::)

Anywho, that doesn't mean there has been no work done to ol' faithful.

I have had a package arrive from the states containing lots of goodies, see here
http://www.viczcar.c...pic,8328.0.html
Mmmmmmm Mikuni heaven  8)
So I've been working on the upgrade. Even though the second hand carb's were running, I wanted them to be mickey mouse. So I rebuilt them!
I took my selection of manifolds to the engine workshop day, to get opinions from guys who know much more than me, to select the best one to suit my application. Of course the one chosen was the TWM unit that didn't have linkages! So I've had to make some custom jobbies, that have come up great. Hopefully will have them running VERY soon.
Once again, borrowed Dimitri's air syncrometer to get them balanced. I think I use this more that Dimitri, so I'll buy you a big mac meal for it?  :P (I'll have to give another +karma mate)

I also borrowed a roll center adjuster from Gareth (kind enough to drop it into work  ;)) and I have modelled it up on Solidworks. Obviously Gareth has an S30 and mine is S130, so mods were needed (will also fit 16600/510?). I also changed the design to increase camber from 2° to 3° and also giving 1° castor. However while trying to fit, hit a snag and was unable to get them on. It seems that the ball joint needs more clearance in the later cars, so more machining was required. Hoping to have them on real soon.

Got the Grand prix display coming up and I have an engine that's not running and a front suspension that has been disconnected. All while trying to spend time with the family, sub divided & build a new house (dealing with council and neighbours  >:() and I'm going for a holiday to the Gold Coast.
Hope I get the car ready in time  :-\

Pics to come..........................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users