Micks New Z!

Michael

Finally!

I have finally found the time to write up my first post regarding my new Green 240z, Most will have seen my 260 2+2 project that seems to have suddenly come to a halt, but it has been for a great reason,

First of all, The 260 will not be going to the scrapper's Or getting parted out as first thought, It looks like my mate Dean will be purchasing the car off me and continueing with its progress in becoming a road registered car again. (updates asap)

But now for the New Z.

Its a green 1972 240z that i first spotted driving home from work, it was parked on the side of St kilda road me and my brother both thought it looked damn nice, And were looking to stop and Spot an owner, but since we couldnt see anyone around we kept on our way home, The next day i was telling a few blokes i had finally seen another S30 on the road and once i got home, i noticed this familiar Green Zed poped up on ebay.

I Quickly contacted the guy mainly just to comment on the car but when he told me he price, I knew it was my chance to own what i wanted from the beginning a 240z, I was quite happy with the 260, And would have kept going along if the 240 was to expensive. But i thought before paint, I should try and snag this oppurtunity While it was there,

After a fair few chats messages and such such, I finally organised to go pick up the car, (yes i had agreed to buying before seeing it properly in the flesh, but i do not regret it at all) i met Kendall the seller And soon realised he was not the kind of guy that was looking to just "Make money" he actually cared about the car and diddnt want it to slip away into some idiots hands,

Anyway, After looking over all aspects of the car over the last week.

It looks to be a Exactly what i was looking for, Pictures speak a thousand words so take a look ^^

post-884-144023501966_thumb.jpg

post-884-144023501973_thumb.jpg

post-884-14402350198_thumb.jpg

The only bad points of the car were that the hatch hinges were snapped off, Looking to be that the strut was gone and someone had opened  it up to far #note the gaffa tape mark that was there that was holding it on (hatch rewelded Thanks heaps Joe)

A mass off dents and dings, But being a purpose built track car eh, who cares

A big dent in the front fender which i mananaged to pop straight back out today with a rubber mallet, Shaped with a blade

And a couple of rust holes, only one bad one being in the frame, Even that though not much drama at all,

The sunroof latch wasnt working but a 10 minute inspection told us why and we plan on rethrading it and chucking to allthread in there (Screws without heads)

the paint is ridiculously Crappy, Flaking in all kinds of areas and touched up with a pretty bad color matched paint, But Since i am working as a spraypainter, I did want to respray it anyway, This gives me a perfect reason to do it :D

Oh and the exaust is Rattling becuase of 2 loose bolts and a bracket thats falling apart, big whoop.

There is also evidence of a fire that took place in the engine bay which has bubbled some paint and melted a the plastic fluid tanks.

Overall alot of easy fixes i can do myself, im guessing a month or so until its resprayed a dark metallic blue and back on the road.

Good points hehe

L28 five speed

Mild cam ( very mild )

Flat top pistons

im told "overbored" 1 mm)

6 into 1 heatwrapped extractors through 2 hotdogs and a muffler, Looks to be space tuned for least amount of backblow

Adjustable suspension

Strut bars front and rear

"Datsun" Floor mats

A mass of electrical switchs that would take a wannabe theif awile to figure out

uncracked dash,

Good foam seats just need some new leather/vinyl on them

swaybars front and back

Good clean series 2 280zx alloys

4 good even wares tyres

- get this No Accident damage to be seen yet! :D

Very strong thermo With manual switch

basicly i could go on for alot longer but Put it this way im Incredibly happy with the car And cant wait till its back on the road perminantly =D

*Note, some very cool tricky things going on with the car include

Spring around the fuel line to protect it,

front disk Protecting plates, bent out and welded to suck in air and cool them down,

the dumping of the rear end when you put your foot down hehe

On the drive home from Kendalls place in prahran we got stuck in a heap of traffic, because of some horse racing that was on, It was amasing to see all the thumbs up and Grins we got while driving it And when there wasnt attention being payed to us, Dean would throw his foot down on the pedal so everyone looked, hehe. This response whith shitty paint gaffa tape and dents everywhere? whats it going to be like when its done? :D Now i think im fully starting to understand why these cars are still so popular

Oh btw, Green light drag with a Fairlady z Twin turbo (300zx lambo looking one) Diddnt stand a chance, Although he got a horrble start, Changing into fourth he was about 8 car lengths back >=D!

post-884-144023501987_thumb.jpg

post-884-144023501994_thumb.jpg

aaar hah...I was wondering what happened to this zed when I saw it on Ebay ! I really loved the slide back concertina sunroof, its actually quite "period piece" and may have even been dealer fitted.

very complete unit.

Great zed, to a good home.

how much $ if you dont mind me asking. ;)

Yeah ones things for sure, A set of tripples on this setup would definently be a nice but scary touch, Its So good with these Z tune carbs (Needles or something changed to suit engine) the tripples are a must ^^

But thats definently After the us dollar goes back down, as id really only like to purchase them new,

First comes paint and some minor rust repairs =D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, It has been awile since last post on the zed, But i havent been slacking off, Actually ive been Finding out why people like these cars so much, the Driving!

i was having heaps enough fun just with the cosmetics and look of the vehicle but one go in this 240z and i was hooked. Only problem and reason i have stopped Is my permit ran out xP

Anyway since the permit was gone and the car (legally obliged) to now stay in the garage, I decided it was finally time to start on the road to Registration!

As ive said before My mate was going to be doing all the prep work for me But since his Insane Datsun 200b 308, Turbo'd Project come up ( Karma Mate ^^) I knew it was going to be more of a play in my part to get the car done quicker Which im actually quite happy about.

anyway heres some of the little details ive got so far..

Car screams. Will challenge any holden v8 out there easy. Oh i mean progress by me sorry...

Anyway, ive just today found out the car will be going back to bare metal,via sanding (not by choice, paints fired and flaking one layer from metal.) And will be spraying in a gloss Dark blue, (actual color to be determind. It will however be 2k.

Anyway heres some pics of the progress so far..

post-884-144023503425_thumb.jpg

post-884-144023503433_thumb.jpg

Heres the evidence of the layers of paint xP

But i enjoy the sanding for some strange reason so it really doesnt bother me at all actually im pleased because it gives me a good reason to go bare metal, And gives me some Extra time while sanding to grab my Fender mirrors (ordered msa) and some spare parts i still need to pick up not to mention paint and wheels sigh..

anyway here we go :D

Well This weekend I did get a fair bit done, More then i expected actually, Overall, Car still looks the goods with zero bog found in bonnet so far And also zero rust in the front end..

The bad news came today at about 6, I was Knocking down the Door mirror holes ready for the fender mirrors When the hammer just went in a little far..

Rust and a pretty bad sort, Luckitly though we knew the door was going to be shithouse Just Sort of thought "hopefully" but Cant have everything right?

Then i went to the drivers side Front 1/4 And a 6 mm Thick piece of bog came off... Doh!

I Actually diddnt get a chance to take a very good look in the fender But will take better pics of both areas Tommorow after work, But heres some progress pics ^^

-Michael

• Administrators

Well done Michael keep at it so that you can get it on the road and enjoy it, and ignore Lurch's comment...he's just jealous! ;D

Haha, yeah I agree. Better to be riced out than rusted out I say.

Micheal u love sanding????  :o

Man thats a first. LOL i cant stand sanding actualy thats the worse part of the whole car restoration. mate keep it up. 

As for Lurch well u got to accept criticism. His been around and knows a fair bit. he is just trying to help as some mods are harder to reverse than others.i guess experience speaks.

saying that i accept anyones criticism and evaluate it, not necessary accepting it unless it was a realy good point.

since on the forum ive chagned few ideas on my next project thanks to members here. but some are still set in concrete 8) as my experience in that field and I wasnt proven wrong. yet  8)

as i always say MY car MY money and Ill do whatever I want to it.  :P

u can never "do up" a car to please everyone.so just make your self happy.

Wow Riced up? xD

Note: Definently not! Its almost insulting! such such :P I come from broady so i see civics and all other kinds of white interior pieces of poo all the time i specificly brought the zed to somewhat Show them what a real car looks like :P

All i ment buy the vinyl 240 emblem was a Origonal hatch badge size logo in the Steel trims i sprayed black in the door since they were starting to rust, The steel did look nice but now that its black it had to have something put on the door To Sort of stand out and what better then a 240z Logo? :D The logo will be cut on a plotter then i will airbrush in the logo, Still not sure whether it will be white or whether i go a little fancy and shade it.

Heres a pic of the trims, Maybe trim wasnt the right word But eh... Yes interior will of course stay as is apart from the foam seats they will be covered asap in origonal vinyl or leather or something that suits.

post-884-144023504678_thumb.jpg

Micheal u love sanding????  :o

Man thats a first. LOL i cant stand sanding actualy thats the worse part of the whole car restoration. mate keep it up. 

As for Lurch well u got to accept criticism. His been around and knows a fair bit. he is just trying to help as some mods are harder to reverse than others.i guess experience speaks.

saying that i accept anyones criticism and evaluate it, not necessary accepting it unless it was a realy good point.

since on the forum ive chagned few ideas on my next project thanks to members here. but some are still set in concrete 8) as my experience in that field and I wasnt proven wrong. yet  8)

as i always say MY car MY money and Ill do whatever I want to it.  :P

u can never "do up" a car to please everyone.so just make your self happy.

As fo that comment Love i don't know about but i do enjoy it, Simply becuase its something i can Do to the car "Successfully" Have the headphones playing singing along and Just enjoying it, Sanding doesnt take much muscle or mass concentration Just patience so i sort of enjoy it. =D

Yeah i must admit washing the gun out is a bit of a pain just seeing the perfectly good thinners being washed away, - for some reason i have yet to buy recycled thinners (eg gunwash) so im washing the gun out with Quite expensive thinners :P

Anyway Progress! It has been made and Again i am suprised at how good its turning out to be,

I managed to pull of both doors the other front fender / headlight bucked and also spray some little bits and pices that needed doing, - every little nick and notch i could see in the engine bay with an airbrush

- still have to do the burnt paint on the strut tower but will be done soon.

Anyway heres some progress pics.

*Note Found out the Thermo was made by Davis craig, Explains alot :P

- i realise this is probably one of the most Boring and less personal rebuilds going on at the moment but when its pulling apart so easy and all im doing is sanding for hours upon hours each day. it can be abit of a boring thread Bu once the new paints on, More will soon follow, - eg front airdam, Flares, rear bre style spoiler, Even more engine work aswell as alot of other goodies =D

- Michael

Hey guys!

Alot of activity happening at the moment with 432's going off and The huge meet tommorow,

Its really amped me up to get my Zed up and going, And i got another kick start when i found these in my room =D

*Note, Theres your new dash along side my bed  ;D

- Not sure whether they'll end up on the doors as first intended as there Quite large and Low lying they seem to suit as fender mirrors aswell, Might look a little silly but will add pics Sometime soon with the taped on to get some opinions

• 3 weeks later...

Well it has been a long while between Posts, But finally im feeling up to writing another!

*No i've not been sick just lazy

Ive since decided a few things.

Basicly every body panel except roof and rear 1/4 panels "WILL" be replaced with Fiberglass / Carbon fiber parts via Alfa,

I fianlly found out why everyone Likes them so much, $$ >=D

but anyway thats a few months down the track and another thread will begin on that later, Then i thought why put the extreme amount of hassle in changing the cars color - door sills and such only to have to redo it all over again in 6 months or so, - with much advice from Rev, and Dean

So the car will be staying British racing green, The Pastelle color no metallic's or fancy pants stuff, Just good old green

so anyway pictures are better then words, Heres where its at at the moment

- Michael