• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

today I will receive a lovely new inverting TIG welder so I dont have to wait forever for some monkey to weld each little Ally part item as I go along.

Welding aluminium is great fun.  Have never regretted buying my AC tig....  Enjoy!

#182 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#183 nizm0zed

nizm0zed

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Tagline:260z coupe in slow build, Now with RB25DE powah!!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

Posted Image

LOVE IT!!!!  ;D

(new background pic!!)

#184 Lightmaster240z

Lightmaster240z

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Tagline:I spend to much money on my 240z with ......

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

I see you like the Hell pizzas too. I had one when we were NZ thy are boxed a little differently.    ;D

#185 RBZ 260

RBZ 260

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Tagline:S chassis Nutter

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

:)

Awsome. Going quite well.

Looks like another bump to overcome with the awd setup  >:(

Its going to be one mad  Z.

#186 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

this thing is going AWD?

hope not...............

back up!.

#187 ZD44TT

ZD44TT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

any updates?

#188 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

yip, too much going on and no action up the back section......

Chop chop then!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

WHY?

The toyota TA22 gets a forged engine now with the ex zed Garrett 3082R turbo, same injectors and a new tune and 1.6bar after run in.

I am moving forward on the basis that the zed club would refuse the fact a 4cyl 2.0L Toyata would be as grunty as a zed, in any engine guise with Gaijin. Fark that.....

Enter larger turbo.

Enter stroker, new clutch, bigger injectors, ex.manifold etc

Have purchased new workshop equipment to handle most of the new transitions....

Toyota (Gaijin plate) will be 350 rwkw = 550 flywheel hp +/-

Ex- Gaijin (new plate = DTHWSH = 440 rwkw = 680 flywheel hp +/-

Pardon the delay, been chasing monkeys in Malaysian forests, and Malaysian giant lizards chasing me....

Avoid the locals during Ramadam sheesh! Mo disrespect intended, but hell......they ,move for hungry people.....

And I for some mere progress..

#189 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:52 PM

Like Godzilla in hibernation, it must wake up some time right...

The help came in the form of the Toyota moving house for a while so I can focus on the where the heck I left the zed in terms of works.

I remember a heap of issues all over the place and getting a bit overwhelmed.

SO after a good clean out of the garage, spread all the parts out over the floor, I thought to tackle some easier, smaller jobs to start.

Remove doors and strip again. Note all parts that should be replaced with NOS. Order $4k of parts from USA and Japan for doors, windows, little rubber bits all over the place, badges etc etc.

Some have arrived, new window mechanisms for wipers at front. Rebuild the lot. Test motor ok.

Bought some nappa leather and upholster bits inside.

I've sold off the water air intercooler and turbo as neither of them Im happy with. A new air/air cooler is n the front now.
Testing a new ex manifold for fitment. Doesnt really.

Once doors are in perfect shape in/out the more exciting parts come in the way of fabricating a new manifold to fit a Borg Warner EFR 8374 turbo.

Probably the best on the market now.

It means I can ditch the wastegate and blow off valve in one step. Making room for other stuff.

Im still contracting, at the airport doing development there, I still get some flexibility with hours. Coming up to summer, the Toyota will be re-wired (where it is now) and ready for summer driving. Next winter it gets a new engine, new electric/hydraulic power steering, super wide wheels and wiiiide overfenders on wiiider semi slicks.
Once tyhe Toyota is back from wiring, the Zed is next, hence the push to get the fidly bits done before then.

I'll post some pics next time, mostly of zed parts and zed projectrs in most of the rooms of the house.... :lol:

#190 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:53 PM

To aid productivity to the zed, get rid of the culprit! Free some space up in the garage too.
I've spent the last 2.6 years working on this car, thats what I've been up to. That and house renovations and working and family etc. Promise. ANyway, time to move on Celica, you have had your time black death.
4th engine, 3rd turbo, 4th throttle body, 2nd injector set, 2nd rear end rebuild, 5th gearbox, 3rd interior re-trim/re-build ETC ETC.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#191 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

I bought some 280zx headlights to use the H4 lights instead of the sealed units of the stock car.
They share the same headlight bucket which helps. Had to modify the steel panel thats joined to the f.glass guards. Bit of grinding and they are in. Drilled holes to mount lights, which are close to being right with the g nose back on.

This took me ages, as having recently sprayed the outside of the house, a fair bit of overspray came through the garage onto the zed. Doh. A few hours had it all off using light pressure and water. Idiot... :?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bought a part of the wiper arms pivot mechanism NOS, so decided to rebuild the rest of it as the grease thats gone hard mixed with sandblast residue probably not the best. Clean paint grear install. Smooth as now. Motor getting checked over now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I pulled out some spare napa leather I used in the CElica dash and other interior to cover some zed kick panels and doglegs. Seemed to work out ok. Used some beeswax polish stuff bought at the Taka markets to lube them super soft. Enough staples?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good timing with the courier, finally some new door bits. Almost everything about the doors are shagged. Windows are good, SS window frame good, some window guides ok. Thats it. Felting for door panel, window frame and outer SS trim ready to go in. Slopped silicon onto door bottom seals. Given windows a super clean and polish, paint up window structure. New window regulator arriving soon amongst all the seals, rubbers winders, door handles, window rollers, etc. Then wifey happy doors can be put away out of living room. Also bought SS nut/bolt kit for doors, hatch etc from States, flag using ancient fixings that are either orange or green from donor cars from yesteryear.....

My first zed after serious buthery....the certifier almost had a heart attack when he saw this ....evidence that Papua New Guniea is not the best atmosphere for a zed...
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Since the overly heavy, complicated and likely to block to much air flow, I ebay'd this cheap intercooler. Will do for now. Anyways, I've proven in the Celica that an undersized intercooler is ok if supplemented with cooling water meth spray. Intercoller sitting to high for airflow, will drop it 30mm.
The current mock up manifold brings 68mm turbo much further forward than the last 60mm setup. When thie BG EFR turbo arrives, it'll need to be forward, as these new thigs are really LOONG, like 350mm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next jobs;
- gearshifter installed. Have short shifter around somewhere.
- Build doors as gear turns up over next week
- build up center console. Needs modification with top mounted gtr handbrake.

You can see the jobs Im doing are small to start with. Easing myself back into it....

#192 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

So some NOS stuff turned up to get into the doors,

new rhs window regulator, minor miracle to find one of these...

Posted Image

Posted Image

door card bungs,

Posted Image

door handles,

Posted Image

other things I dont know what they are called, maybe dove tails

Posted Image

Sprayed some Dinitrol stuff into all nook/crannies, wax cavity slime I got from the supplier who sells the stuff to the navy down Devonport for the ships there.

Posted Image

The doors by themselves are not really that heavy, its all the stuff going into them that loads them up. Forget the carbon doors to save weight, be easier to mould up some acrylic or polycarbonate windows.

SInce I dont have key locks, Ill need to mount a solenoid in there to the lock arm coming from the closing mechanism.

Posted Image

Bought a stainless steel bolt kit for the doors and front of the car. most there, but some nuts/bolts not there. I use a sniff of copper grease so they dont bind up later being dissimilar metals. The rest of the fixings I have I went and had tanked and plated again. This is ok for non structural fittings, but not so suitable for structural as there can be hydrogen embrittlement.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Door catch mechanisms, have a few, made the best one out the remains of the lot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where the left door stops for a moment, trying to find this little sucker to space and hold the door catch pivot. Ergh...Might go call Dave, Im sure he has a few hundred down Manukau way..part number 82515-78500 where for art thou?  Its called a collar - bell crank.
anyone out there with one spare please holla.

Posted Image

Windows and frames next....new felting here, but old glue in the frames is not easy to remove...

Went and had a chat with Sheepers yesterday, he is keen to make the first Celica TA22 rack an pinion power steer kit that is easily certified. As he offers this awesome service I'll keep playing with the zed. Havent heard from the Celica re-wiring as yet, no rush there then...

#193 zzzzed

zzzzed

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

Wow long time no post. Good to see some progress

#194 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,644 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Where did you source all the door hardware from? I'll be chasing this stuff up soon also.

#195 d3c0y

d3c0y

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • Tagline:Forum Jerk

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Group buy?  ;D

#196 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:44 PM

Guys

try;

zcardepot

newdatsunparts

otherwise just trawl yahoo japan via importmonster

ebay canada sometimes has stuff that doesnt pop up on ebay.com radar,

shop around, prices vary hugely on some parts like the regulator

#197 Gaijin

Gaijin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:39 PM

Got one door sussed, called Dave Turner for some tiny collar thats missing.

Gas pedal showed its face, along with some new strikers I ebayed
gas pedal rubber more like super hard unbendable material

Posted Image

Butcher it as I do so well. Kakimoto style
Keep way away from welds. put it the vice see where it bens most and keep away from that area too

Posted Image

Spray some acrylic etch primer then some single pack tungsten, then some decent clear

Posted Image

chuck a new rubber pad that slips on like a glove

Posted Image

strikers came up good. New ones have a spring mechanism, while the old ones had a rubber insert sort of shoved in.

Posted Image

As for the centre console, pretty fugly,
BEFORE

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Kind of after, some paint, new leather boot gator thing I got from the UK, had to trim it hard as the leather is quite thick, hard to get the clips around it all.
Used some resin to fix some cracks

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users