31 replies to this topic

#1 Azon

Azon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

Are there any performance camshafts on sale for the L28E in Australia? Has anyone regrinded the stadard one or replaced it with aftermarket one?

#2 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 04:46 PM

I've had quite a few done over the years. Mostly Crow and Wade re-grinds, but also one billet for a race engine. Probably the most common grinds are:

72 deg - mild street performance
74 deg - semi-race/street performance cam
76 deg - full race
76 deg, high lift - full race

Regrinds are cheap, in themselves at around $100 (probably more now), but then you've got to factor in re-facing the rockers + the cost of lash pads.

What you go for in terms of grind depends on your performance aims, the car use + what other components you are using (intake, exhaust)

#3 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

There are quite a few cams available, my mate had a 280zx with pretty lumpy cam, and it flew.

The main thing to be aware of is you'll either need to get the stock ECU reprogrammed to match the cam, or install an aftermarket ecu.

#4 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:27 PM

There are quite a few cams available, my mate had a 280zx with pretty lumpy cam, and it flew.

The main thing to be aware of is you'll either need to get the stock ECU reprogrammed to match the cam, or install an aftermarket ecu.

You can't re-program a stock 280ZX ecu.....it's an analog system. It's possible to play around with variable resistors on the engine temp sensor, or the spring in the AFM, but that's about it.

#5 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

I'm sure there is some modification which can be done to the stock ecu, because my mate had a stock ecu with his cam.... I'm fairly sure he mentioned that Z-shop fiddled with it somehow though....

#6 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

I'm sure there is some modification which can be done to the stock ecu, because my mate had a stock ecu with his cam.... I'm fairly sure he mentioned that Z-shop fiddled with it somehow though....

I don't know what they did, but it certainly wasn't 're-programmed' - there's nothing to reprogram !!. 280ZX uses a JECS licenced version of the Bosch L-jetronic system. The ECU is simply a bunch of resistors and capacitors (more or less). There's certanly no computer chip or software, etc.

Besides the Z-Shop is Lindsay, isn't it ??...'nuff said, AFAIC.

#7 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:19 PM

so then what would you do to run a big cam on an L28E, other than run an aftermarket ecu?

#8 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

so then what would you do to run a big cam on an L28E, other than run an aftermarket ecu?

Depends on what you mean by 'big cam', for a street driven daily driver I'd go for a 74 degree max - but I would'nt use a stock L28E injection system, either. Is this for a 280ZX ??

#9 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

its a 280zx motor, but in my 260z. I was thinking about running the crow cam thats supposed to be good from 3000 to 6500 rpm, or maybe the slightly milder one thats supposed to run from 2200 to 6600....

http://www.crowcams....atsun-OHC.shtml

Then again, I was going to do it when I put the xr6 turbo injectors I've got lying around in, and run megasquirt, since I don't know whether those cams will go that well on a car which only has 6 into 1 extractors.....

I'm not sure what you mean by a 74 degree cam though - 74 degrees exhaust open, or 74 degrees intake close? Seems to be a million ways to specify cams.

#10 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

I've used both the Crow mild cams and acheived close to 120 rwkw on an engine that was pretty 'mild', but with a much better injection system than the 280ZX (throttle bodies + Motec).

Problem with the 280ZX system is that it's pretty restrictive - small manifold runners and TB. Also it's not very adjustable for anything other than a mild cam.

To be honest I wouldn't waste the money. There have been many quite quick cars that have just used 240Z Hitachi's with the right needles. 110+ rwkw is quite acheivable.

The degree figures I'm quoting are using the Wade method - 74 is the total duration divided by 4.....so 74 actually is 296 duration.

#11 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

The whole 280zx motor came with my car, so it hasn't cost me anything for the injection, unlike the carbs will (since my l26 has the crap flat top hitachis).

I'm pretty over carbs anyway.

#12 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:14 PM

In that case you'll need to stick to something fairly mild in terms of camshafts.

One of the other reasons for suggesting 240Z Hitachi's (which are in a whole different ball park to stock 260Z carbs) is that they are pretty reliable and reasonably cheap to work on. Using those allows you to go a bit 'wilder' in terms of camshafts and gets the car performing better a bit quicker while allowing you to save up for the better EFI parts (aftermarket ECU, multi TB's etc).

#13 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

Good to hear since I'll be using my current 240 carbs on the L28 sitting in the garage. To put things in persective what sort of 1/4 mile times can I expect to get with L28 with mild cam, 240z carbs, 280zx gearbox and stock diff ratio?

#14 lambs

lambs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 07:32 PM

o put things in persective what sort of 1/4 mile times can I expect to get with L28 with mild cam, 240z carbs, 280zx gearbox and stock diff ratio?

Sorry but no idea really - never had any real interest in drag racing.

#15 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:48 PM

One of the other reasons for suggesting 240Z Hitachi's (which are in a whole different ball park to stock 260Z carbs) is that they are pretty reliable and reasonably cheap to work on. Using those allows you to go a bit 'wilder' in terms of camshafts and gets the car performing better a bit quicker while allowing you to save up for the better EFI parts (aftermarket ECU, multi TB's etc).

Yeah, I pretty much plan on running the stock 280 motor while I collect bits to build a stroker out of it, and bits to make custom intakes with multiple throttle bodies...

#16 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:01 PM

Good to hear since I'll be using my current 240 carbs on the L28 sitting in the garage. To put things in persective what sort of 1/4 mile times can I expect to get with L28 with mild cam, 240z carbs, 280zx gearbox and stock diff ratio?

To give you an idea Sulio http://www.geocities...rage2001/z.html

I'd say 15's though with a standard diff and ZX Box.

:wink:

#17 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

Jeez all his times are low 14s high 13s thats great and with stock needles and a P79 head. The work he's done to that motor sounds reasonable in terms of dollars spent. I'd be happy with mine if I could get around the 15 sec mark or just below!?

#18 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,399 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 18 January 2006 - 07:08 PM

I don't think they are stock needles from memory they are the SM performance needles not overly expensive but neccessary with the extra displacement.

Keep in mind he has a 4.11 diff and I think a good ratio Gbox. He's also done some valve work from what I have read. Not sure about porting.

#19 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

Yer he has SM needles listed in parts list and also a P90 head but the note under the time sheet actually says the times are based on stock needles and with his old P79 head so I think the 15 sec mark is reasonable based on that but I guess I won't find out til I put it together and have a go myself so I'll keep reading til then. Gav, have you got a plan in terms of time for the completion of your motor?

#20 geordieggg

geordieggg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

Guys, sorry to drag up such an old post, especially seeing as it's my first post here...........

I too am looking at upgrading the cam in my car, it's an L28 Block/N42 head, flat-top pistons, extractors, and I'm about to start modifying the TB, as well as looking at aftermarket fuel management.

However, I am unsure where to go to get a cam. I can get a new cam out of the States for as much as a regrind over here (around $260), but will be in Melbourne just after Christmas so can pick one up then (or get one reground).

I've tried emailing Crow Cams, Wade Cams and another place (Tighe Cams??) but haven't heard from any of them. What I'm wondering is what Crow & Wade will charge for a new cam? And what grind would they recommend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users