#21 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:04 PM

Ok then i shoulda read more into that, well i might be able to help you get it cheaper, cos im about to get some adjustable coilovers done by the same guy who did my swaybars, so i can find out which parts he used and any little things needed, but he's in Queenbeyan near Canberra.

#22 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

How are you going about your coilovers? Are you using complete coilovers from an s13 etc, or are you getting the struts cut down? If its the latter, would be curious to know the shocks being used (ie. what model car they are from)

#23 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

http://www.modern-mo...&products_id=12
Cost a bit more, but one of the few sets that can offer the 55mm strut sleeves and also such a large range of springrates. Im using my current internably adjustable Koni shocks.

#24 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:14 PM

yep you have way to much time on your hands :D

so do those coilovers basically bolt straight in since they are made for the zed? coz ride height adjustment would be cool, are they externally adjustable?

what other advantages do they have for 3 times the price of normal shocks, besides the fact you can choose the spring rates easily?

#25 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

evan, id assume that you would have to weld the sleeves on as per the norm...

#26 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

thanks for that, as u can see i have no idea...so y not get the struts sectioned at hte same tiem? or these dont require engineers?

#27 Huw

Huw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

for bushings, in Australia, I believe Noltec in sydney are good, can get eccentric bushes etc which will give u limited adjustability in suspension w/o going all out. (have a look at www.noltec.com.au for prices and parts+details)

Along those same lines, K-mack(?) makes a part which you drill and weld into front crossmember allowing slight adjustment of front camber as well.

I've their bushes throughout but have only just got new tyres and adjustments so I don't know how it drives yet!!

hope that helps
Huw

#28 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:49 PM

:D Yeh i have to have the struts sectioned and it will require engineering cos im altering the strut, plus it does require welding, but i will have 4 inches of adjustment and a pretty damn good spring rate. As for shockies, i already have Koni internal adjustables so it didnt cost me quite as much. (mind you, some bastard put 240Z rear struts on my zed before i bought it so i had to buy rear 260Z struts).

#29 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

yeah i know i want coilovers, just dont want to spend that sort of money atm, so i just bought some king springs off nacks along with his newly regassed koni rears, so all i really need now is some koni 86-1811, which i think are the ones that are used on the front of both 240z's and 260z's just the 260z's need the gland nuts changed or something.

do people think i should try to change the shocks myself at home? i'm just worried that it will leave my car unusable due to not being able to do something. i think i remember something somewhere saying to put in some of the springs you dont need spring compressors to put in some springs because they are so short...is that the case with low king springs? my dad keeps telling me its easy to do this and that but is to busy to actully commit to helping me :(

there's something wrong with my stearing which is my main concern atm, the people at top performace said i should give the 1600 workshop a try as its fairly local, does anyone else have a place they'd recommend? speed technology? as i think i'm going to get the adjustable whiteline sway bars from there at some stage

does anyone have some of those koni 1811 shocks by anychance that they want to sell?

#30 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

low king springs will need to be compressed. If they are superlows, they might not, but normal lowering ones definately will.

#31 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Ok so the coilover kit at the previous link is being installed right now. It ended up costing me just over $800 just to get them here plus the rear Mac struts and the labour (also had to have rear konis adjusted for 260 struts), so I'm yet to find out exactly how much all up, but as soon as they are done I will update and let you know how they go. I also ended up getting 225lbs/in front and 250lbs/in rear springs in 10in long, which is about 4kgs/mm i think, not the stiffest ever, but ehy they are coilovers, springs are easy now. And I will find out about the swaybars tomorrow hopefully :)

#32 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Well after all this I have learnt a great lesson, don't rush and talk to your suspension guy first. All the equipment is available in oz to work except for the adjustable camber tops which I got from T3 in the states. Unfortunately these have to be welded in therefore you loose the top bolts that the strut brace would bolt to.
Also, we weighed the car in all for corners at once to see what the best spring rates were for the car and are nothing like what I ordered from the states, so now I will be running dual stage Eibach springs. So here is what has ended up happening. Note the new strut brace.

Attached Thumbnails

• 530_.jpg
  • 531_.jpg
  • 529_.jpg

#33 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:23 PM

Just one thing, has anyone else had the top flat section where the seat belt bolts into the top of the strut tower held in by about 6 small screws? We ended up tig welding it so its strong as, but it might be worth while people having a look, cos it wont hold in an accident.

#34 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 11:23 PM

Finally, after a stupid amount of time waiting for Bilstein to build me some shocks, I have finished my rear suspension (except for springs).  I had to get Bilstein to make me some because the struts were wider and Koni had them listed as being the same, dont know what the go is there.

A couple of pics, ill get some closer shots later.
Note, rear disk calliper brackets :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was a very expnsive venture all up, especially having to get the 240Z rear struts cut up for height adjustment and then the 260Z rear ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users