33 replies to this topic

#1 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

i'm being kinda lazy was just wondering what i'd need to buy, basically i think its time for me to do something about the suspension on my zed. i'd preferably like to install it all myself if possible just so i learn, and so far i've been having fun playing with the giant mecano set, as i always wanted mecano and never got any of it as a (younger) kid :(

so i'm thinking either Kyb, Koni or Tokico Illuminas today, the (half?) owners of top performance kids went to my school so my whole high school life i've wanted koni's hehe, but i dont know if i could justify the extra money over tokico's, i guess i should go there and get talked into it?

well the money isn't so much of an issue as long as i can justify it over the cheaper options, and i know at this stage i dont want to go as extreme as coilovers, but i am wondering if sectioning the struts is worth it, and how much it would cost? (and please excuse my little knowledge but just wanting to clarify what i think they do and that is they basically JUST weld in a (camber) plate lower down in the struts? and hence you get more travel purely because the car doesn't hit the ground before it bottoms out and it can extend further?)

what else needs to be bought? like i know i need new brushes because of the awful noise it makes when i hit those reflectors and would make sense to replace the bits that are worn out at the same time along with better (thicker, adjustable?) sway bars and strut tower braces

if it makes any difference, which i'm sure it will, i'm wanting to eventually put a newer straight 6 into my car so the weight distribution is likely to change, so when it does is it mainly just the springs that need changing? to me logically all of it would need to be, but like the sr240z car's running Tokico illumina shocks, so i'm guessing thats where the adjustability of them would be handy also?

i know there's no real chance of me being as lucky as gav in finding some for the price he did, and "from the states for $700 AUD with shipping or there abouts. www.xshocks.com has them and I believe its $90 to ship to Australia" still doesn't sound to bad compared to the koni prices i've heard, although when you section the struts you can use koni's from other cars yeah? which aren't as expensive?

all up i'd b happy spending like 2g max...within reason but having more money left over for other things would always be a positive! the way things are going this years tax payback i get will be paying for rims 8) i dont think i have the 6g tax free thing taken out atm (had it down as a second job when i started) so its forcing me to save which is good!

but rough prices would be appreshiated along with advice on what to go for...i did talk to mr brooks (forgotten first name, he's the one who rally's the 240z) at top performance and he asked me what i wanted to do with my car and basically its driven daily and hopefully will be for quite some time, and i dont plan on ever racing it in any particual class although track days and things sound like fun it is primarily a road car

#2 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

well, I put Koni Reds into my car, which are adjustable, but you have to remove the shock to adjust them.

I think it is Z31 shocks that you can put in, if you want Koni Yellows (externally adjustable), with spacers underneath.

Not sure what you mean by sectioned struts? I don't think your description describes it at all though, by what you are saying :?

If you only want the car as a daily driver, I'd just put Koni Reds in and be done with it - and if you PM me, we MAY be able to work something out there, since I want to put Yellows on for light track work.

When you put the heavier engine in, your front springs will need changing, but you'll get away with just clicking up the damping on the front shocks one or two clicks - you could even leave them as they were if you wanted, the shocks only control the speed of movement, and if its a street car only, you don't need to get overly fussy.

If you do the bushes, make sure you put decent urathane ones in, and yeah, you may as well do all of them if you don't know what they're like.
Swaybar wise, I'm going to run whiteline adjustable swaybars either end (about $230 each) unless a better option comes up.
For strut tower braces, ask sulio if he can get more carbon fibre ones - they weigh under a kilogram at my guess, and look damn cool. They're also cheaper than the Whiteline alloy ones.

Personally, out of the shocks you mentioned, I would go Konis. They are, without a doubt one of the best, if not the best shocks. The problem however, is that mine cost about $900, and that was trade price. They had to be modified a bit for my car as well. I think for you it would cost over $1200.

However, like I said, if you want to go with Koni Reds, and assuming yours is a late 260, PM me, because I'm thinking of Yellows and chopped struts, and I may be able to come to an arrangement.

#3 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:43 PM

Hi

The cheaper option for a daily driver is the gas, non adjustable KYB's which will set you back about $130 ea.

For a daily driver they are fine, but the Koni's are definitely a better shock.

It is amazing what a set of new shocks and bushes feels like.

Warren

#4 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

thanks for the replies and i'll pm you when i have more time Zeddophile

http://forums.hybrid...t=section strut

thats the best description i've gotten of sectioning struts so far, and somewhere i read something about putting koni mr2 front shocks on the rear and some other cars koni rear shocks on the front, but yeqh does seem a bit excited for a road car but if it doesn't cost much more to do then...

i love those strut braces those white 432r's have in japan, i found them on yahoo japan at some stage but only the front ones...[/url]

#5 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hi Evan,
I sold out of those CF strutt braces, I can put you onto the company in the US that sells them but you'll prolly find the price they will charge a bit high since I bought a few sets from them at the time and the whole economy in numbers came into play there.

#6 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,652 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 14 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Hi Evan, a cheaper option is to ask Len Brennan to modify the stock ones for you.

He rebuilds them and turns them into rally suitable shocks and just uses firmer springs. He showed me his time sheets from Targa the only cars quicker were a 7ltr Race prepared mustang and he was quicker than some of the 911's and some 911s were just a tad faster than him.

If I was in the same position again I'd probably give him a try http://www.len-brennan.com.au/

Definately worth a try..

#7 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 05:57 PM

Evan, thats what I want to do to mine (strut sectioning)..... For a street car though, I don't know that I'd bother, unless you want to lower it... Z-shop quoted $1500, and I'm not sure if that was per end, or all end - the wording was unclear, and I can do it myself a lot cheaper, since I have access to all the gear I need.

I have stock height springs (new king springs) and I intend to use a shock cartridge which is shorter in the body, and cut about 40mm out of the strut below the spring perch, cut the perch off, and fit a threaded spring seat. With my current Koni reds, I could actually cut the rear down by 35mm as is, since they have a 35 mm spacer welded to them, but the fronts were shortened to exactly the right length for my struts :( I want externally adjustable now anyway.

#8 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 16 January 2006 - 03:01 AM

evan. im thinking purches will be cut around 40mm, and sleeves put on, and then koni yellows, for the front and the rear,

but i have been told that it is going to be hard to engineer this if i do it myself, so im going to get a machinist to do it, but not sure on the price just yet... but looking at around 500 for the labour, plus another 1000 for materials,

but also am currently looking at S15 front end, with s15 rear, which the rear isn't a problem, but the front looks difficult... but will be seeking help, once i finish painting the bitch which will be next weekendut

but for a front strut brace, don't get a single one get a triangle one, either custom, make it urself if you have the skills, im currently making one for myself but need to wait to get final demensions of strut tops before welding the shit together...

but a whiteline sway bar is about the only thing that i know of that you can buy... in aus for decent price..

#9 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:51 PM

yeah i was reading about the 200sx rear end stuff on hybridz so that would be something else that would be interesting to weigh the cost up of, as i know i need new bearings and that would also cover the brake upgrade issue too

i think the two things i'd definatly like to do susspension wise is lower it, hence sectioning the struts but yeah, mayb thats getting a bit excited for a road car at this stage...and have it easily adjustable, as while having stiff susspension is good and all i can see y at times you woudnt want it...

#10 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:31 AM

evan i found this tonight

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

ends up

$355US for the shocks + 125US for shipping = 485USwhich is at todays exchange rate.... = $650AUD Deleiverd, with insurnace and tracking number ////

seems a damn good price for them, really thinking about buying some

#11 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:35 AM

yeah looks good! would it be worth buying a bundle with their shocks also? or would shipping make it not worth it? would you just run a set of king springs with these?

my other question is do i need the 240z style or 280z style? the top of my strut tower things is angled, best pic i have of it atm is this which is certianly different to say gav's car but then the 280z ones would be made for a heavier car so...

like would i need these? with or without the springs...but yeah he doesnt' say he ships this to australia so maybe its way to much

i just measure my strut things from the floor to the edge closest to the black cap cover (from the back, along the stitching in the material) and its 310mm, i dont know if this helps at all...

#12 Natez

Natez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:51 PM

you would have to asked about that one evan, if they send to aus, im not really sure...

but yer, might order some of those tommorrow

#13 gav240z

gav240z

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,652 posts
  • Tagline:Jack of all trades, master of none.

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Hi Evan, I believe the later strut towers on the 260z were different to the early 240z style ones.

The 74-75ish 260z was almost the same body as the 240z and therefore 240z struts work in that. However I think if you have a later Z then you need the longer 280z style ones. Which I believe he does sell.

I tried emailing him several times about sending to Australia he was useless, in all honesty I'd go with www.xshocks.com they did reply to email and I think they might be able to help you better.

I have King Springs in my car but it's a very harsh ride not good for city driving really. Country roads no worries heaps of fun in the hills. I'm asking for some opinions on the progressive rate springs that are designed to suit the Tokico Illuminas I think they would work alot better on the street.

I have no idea what my king springs are rated at but at a guess they are probably stiffer than the common 180lbs that they sell. I'd guess maybe 250+ lbs??

If you do get it you will love the way your car handles but you'll hate little bumps in the road lol.

I recall Mike (NZeder) was saying something about 260z strut towers being different dependant on the year maybe ask him?

#14 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

yeah i saw your post on classizcars and thanks for the info gav, i went to top performance the other day and they are going to get back to me on their price and measured some part of the struts to see what sort they'd need. they said the advantage of koni's over tokico's is the fact they can be rebuilt...but how much does that cost anyway? more than two sets of tokicos? hehe

i'm thinking if koni's are way to much of getting the illuminas when i find out which sort i need (hopefully top performance can help clear this up) and then if i get really excited in the distant future (like when the tokicos need rebuilding so i start kicking myself for not buying the konis) of modifying the strut towers and putting in koni's or doing something like 200sx susspension...

but then a lotus 7 replica kit sounds like fun :D particually to do a custom body on...as unlike a zed it needs improving

#15 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

where's a good place to get a polyureathane bush kit from?

also thicker/(adjustable?) sway bars? would this be a worthwhile thing to change "while i'm at it"? or its easy enough to later?

i'd like to add strut tower braces but its easy enough to do that later on...although it is tempting to buy some of those carbon fibre ones sulio was selling, off ebay, but i'd really like some of the cusco ones, just i can't seem to find them for sale anywhere, i did see them on yahoo japan ages ago but i can't find them anymore

i really need/want to get this done soon and i have the money sitting there, so the only other question is should i get koni red's ~$900 after being modified to suit 260z's, with king springs ~$100 second hand or tokico illuminas ~$700 and mayb pay the bit more (~$150-200 and get them with the tokico 280z springs...surely they must of looked into the issues of having one set of springs progressive and the other linear? or would it be better to just use king springs?

the people at koni didn't seem to have any good selling point of their shocks over tokicos besides the fact they can be rebuilt, but my thought is in 300,000kms time i might want to get the struts sectioned etc so i dont really care about this "selling point", particually for $80 per shock! and think it'd be of more use to be able to adjust the shocks externally, so if i want them harder for driving more excitiablly i dont have to remove them!

is there anything else i need to buy/replace at the same time? like random rubber bits? i'm not going to buy rims anytime to soon now so i'm happy to spend a bit extra for something better...

#16 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

Well, as far as shocks go, Konis are definitely one of the best in world - not too sure about how Tokicos are, but I know which option I'd go....

As far as swaybars go - if you are doing a full kit with the swaybar bushes included, you may as well put new swaybars in. Be aware though, if you are changing swaybars, you may need different inside diameter bushes....

I really must investigate the cost of swapping to Koni yellows, I forgot all about it....

#17 sco_aus

sco_aus

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Tagline:Scott

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

I put Whitline adjustable swaybars in and haven't looked back. Cost me bit less than $600 from memory, but cos i got a 260 2 seater, it didnt actually come with a rear sway bar so it should be a fair bit cheaper for you. Car sits heaps flatter, plus being able to adjust for understeer and oversteer is awsome.

#18 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:10 PM

hehe yeah i know which ones you went for, let me know how much you'd want for your koni red's if you do decide to change over as it might influence my decision...

how do you adjust the the sway bars? i guess the adjustment would b on some part of it you can see so pretty easy huh? why would it be cheaper for me? i have a 260z 2 seater also...

#19 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

I put Whitline adjustable swaybars in and haven't looked back. Cost me bit less than $600 from memory, but cos i got a 260 2 seater, it didnt actually come with a rear sway bar so it should be a fair bit cheaper for you. Car sits heaps flatter, plus being able to adjust for understeer and oversteer is awsome.

Why didn't yours have a rear swaybar? Mine has one..... I assume $600 was fitted, since the online store price at whiteline is around $240 each bar?

For reference evan, the whiteline part numbers according to their downloadable catalogue are BDF7Z (front adjustable, 24mm thickness) and BDR7Z or BDR20Z (rear adjustable, 19mm). You also have an option for the rear of a non adjustable 22mm item (BDR20), but I suspect 19mm to be standard thickness, with a different preload, allowing you to use standard size poly bushes and saddles, and also possibly canceling out the extra $30 the adjustable one costs.

And I'll try my best to remember to ring Top Performance tomorrow.....

#20 Zeddophile

Zeddophile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

Holy shit, 300 posts.... I have too much time on my hands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users