54 replies to this topic

#41 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

Thanks for that - was getting a little confused myself!

Negative offset definitely required to fill out the Zed.

What I still do not quite understand is how wheels with same offsets can appear so visually different?   

Offset is measured from the centre of the wheel right?  That's the ONE constant and consistent thing between wheels.  Therefore, wheels with the same offsets should appear visually similar yeah? 

How is it some of the dished wheels above are heaps deeper than the Rota's?  Even though they share the same offset?  ???

#42 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 19 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Whoopsy...you are right! Helps if you read it a little more closely heh? Don't know how I confused that..

#43 aidannn

aidannn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

What I still do not quite understand is how wheels with same offsets can appear so visually different?   

Offset is measured from the centre of the wheel right?  That's the ONE constant and consistent thing between wheels.  Therefore, wheels with the same offsets should appear visually similar yeah? 

How is it some of the dished wheels above are heaps deeper than the Rota's?  Even though they share the same offset?  ???

it depends alot on the design of the wheel.

my regamasters were 17x9 +18 and only has about an inch of dish. but the same specs on say a work meister or ssr professor could have 2-3" of dish.

also i think your abit confused. offset isnt the only thing which determines dish and how far the wheels stick out. width makes a big difference.

for example a 15x7 et0 and 15x8 et0 were on the same car. they would not sit in the same position. the 8" would sit 1.27cm further out.

#44 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Was definitely confused!!  That being said, appreciate what you are saying.  Understand widths come into it for sure.  Wheels I am talking about in the images above are all pretty much the same widths though. 

Looking into it more, wheel design definitely seems to make much of the difference here.  Two wheels can have same offset, but wheel centre design can make a massive difference to "dish" appearance.

Seems pretty simple now that I think about it.  Took me a little bit to get my head around it all though.

For those of you with 2+2's:

Do not assume wheels which appear a certain way on the 2 seaters will do the same on yours!  Not the case!

RB Rota's in above mentioned offsets (-19 rears) will stick out right past the rear guards on a 2 seater.  They do not appear to achieve that on a 2+2 though.  If you are after the "pumped" look (without spacers), you will need to look at another wheel.

For the record - I have over the last few weeks priced up a few BIG/CUSTOM wheels I liked the look of.

Provided below the info I have to give you all an idea of what is out there (feel free to add your own research for the benefit of others...)

What I have found in 17"s (priced up 9.5"/10" for most part):

BOZE wheels - http://www.bozeforged.com/mesh.html
I haggled a bit with them and best I could get was $2100 USD PLUS $550 freight to Melboure Airport for this wheel. Was only available in 9.5" with a stepped lip.

CCW wheels - http://www.ccwheel.c....php?id=Classic
Will not move AT ALL on price.  $2400 USD PLUS $520.00 freight (9.5 front and 10" rear).

Arrow wheels - http://www.arrowwhee...tails.php?id=18
Did not haggle.  $3780 NZD PLUS $340 freight. (9.5 front and 10" rear).  Not as cheap as I thought they would be.

Image wheels - http://www.imagewhee..._pages/rm2.html
Website price - $1324 UK Pounds.  Freight to be confirmed.

To my surprise - at current exchange rate - Image wheels @ $2232.00 (no freight) appear BY FAR the cheapest in the wheels I have thought worth considering for my 2+2.

Still a lot of $$$.  Wats are going from BenZed at $600 each landed as well so for an extra $200 or so - you can the original look.  16" only though, so again - maybe no good for 2+2 with flares (depending on your taste).

I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives (ROH etc), but happy to hear of others.
Cheers.

#45 Taz

Taz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

have you looked into superlites?

#46 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Yeah.  Had a looksy.  Not a real fan of some of the styles available in 17".

http://www.superlite...lpage.asp?cat=2
Website price $282.00 UK pounds per wheel (10").  Freight unknown.

The ultralight 3-piece looks similar to the Image UK though I suppose.  $50 pounds cheaper as well.  Definitely food for thought.  None of the site photos shows any deep dish 17"s though....would not mind seeing them on a car.

#47 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

For those interested - got price from Image wheels UK for freight....

$550 POUNDS!  Bugger me.  Almost spat me cuppa tea all over my screen when I saw the price.

Thats about $920 aussie for delivery.  I can get a one way ticket from London/Melb for almost as much.

Confirming if there is a cheaper alternative in freight.  Will post accordingly.

#48 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Was that for the wheels to travel first class with all the pampering? or sea freight?

#49 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

Image wheels reckon that is the cheapest "insured" rate they have been able to find.
They said they are happy for me to arrange my own freight - so looking around at sea freight options.
Will advise.

#50 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

Sooooo....

Seafreight - pickup from Image wheels delivered to Melbourne Port (not door to door) costs about $300 pounds with insurance. 

So image wheels as seen on Jays Grey 2+2 will cost about $2700 australian.  Not to mention the additional import fees that will be applicable (another $200 or so perhaps).

They are the cheapest custom wheel (with a decent range) landed in Oz,  that I have been able to locate.

Superlites look like another option, but wheels choices are limited.

Anything else worth considering?

Shan

#51 zedevan

zedevan

The 1000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

ROH 3 peice wheels should cost less than that for a set?

#52 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Yeah - can't say I am a massive fan of ROH. 

Only wheel I kinda like is the set I have seen on Sulio's Zed.  Worked wheel on his car.  ROH only have choice of 6 wheels or so in custom 3 peice though - so not a lot to choose from.  In addition- not much in the classic sort of styles more suitable for a Zed either...

Matter of personal taste I suppose. 

#53 bryan3976

bryan3976

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Tagline:New Member

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

any one know the specs.
sure that's Widest Tyre/Rim combo u can get .
Posted Image

#54 kolonelklink

kolonelklink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

I recognise that car as the "rat rod z"... I remember the wells being cut with a plasma cutter to get those wheels to fit...

Posted Image

Nice bit of feral boso style though... :) FYI the tyres are stretched out 225's so not so much tread amyway :P

#55 Shan

Shan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

That is a little too nuts for me.  Would not be able to get it into my driveway!  Waaaaay to low.

Plasma cutter!?  I am cringing at the idea of chopping the guards already.....

Will stick to Jays dark grey 2+2 for inspiration I reckon.  Seems to have ticked most of the boxes for me and only chopped a little away.

Now - just gotta save my cash for those damn Image Wheel from the UK. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users