8 replies to this topic

#1 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

Had the Z back on the road now for 4 weeks now clocking up some k's to blast around at P.I on the 21st of Sep and last Friday battery dead. New battery put in and what do you know, Saturday night, dead battery, would'nt crank over. Is this an alternator issue? Is there an easy fix or would it need an overhaul?
Any feedback would be much appreciated.

John

#2 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Check if the Alt is charging witha multimeter or just go down to your local auto elec and he can check. Might be a short somewhere. In the meantime I'd just take the batt terminal off when you park the car.

Sulio

#3 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hey Sulio, thanks for your reply. I'll take the batt terminal off as you said, as I won't have time till the weekend to get it checked out proper. How are your new fornt brakes?
Are you running braided lines?
I've ordered some braided lines for mine, hopefully get them fitted b4 P.I sprints.

John

#4 Zedman240®

Zedman240®

The 2000+ club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts
  • Tagline:I want your old SHOGUN bike! PM me now...

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

Good thing to do before you get it checked is to put a fully automatic charger on it every night. Sounds like your regulator or alternator isn't charging at all and the car is running off the battery discharging it. While its running, you should see 13.8 - 14V. If it's anything below, take it to a autoelec!!

#5 dalee

dalee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Tagline:The Z Shed

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:38 PM

Hi John

I had exactly the same problem back in June. My zed killed a battery and flattend a new one in 3 days.  I put in a reco alternator, no joy, then changed the regulator and problem solved!

Till I fixed it, I just disconected the battery, actually I think it was Sulios idea do do that back then!

Dale

#6 Toecutter

Toecutter

The 2000+ club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

How are your new fornt brakes?
Are you running braided lines?
I've ordered some braided lines for mine, hopefully get them fitted b4 P.I sprints.

John

Hi John,

Yer the Hilux calipers I installed are great. ready for the rear now.

Sulio

#7 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thank's for info guy's. I charged the battery overnight and put it back in the Z and started no probs. Put the meter on it and was reading 14.4. I might take her out for a spin tonight and see how it goes with holding charge, lights, indicators and radio will test it. Hopefully it's a voltage regulator only that will need replacing.

John

#8 warrenz

warrenz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Have you located the problem?

I had a similar situation and it turned out the glove box lid was not closing far enough and the light in the glove box was permanently on and draining the battery.

Warren

#9 zedls1

zedls1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:34 AM

Hi Warren,

It seems to have sorted itself out. Since I charged the battery it's been good, voltage regulator is doing it's job. Hope it's not an intermittent issue.

John 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users